Not Taking a Drawback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Not Taking a Drawback

So this is one I did when designing Si'Ni was not give her the poor eyesight drawback that is in the Pig Template this was done for two reasons one to reflect myself (As Si'Ni is how I imagined would who I would be if I was a Zoic in Dardunah) I have the best eyesight in my family I never need glasses for anything and my family frequently asks me to read small print for them and also later in her story Si'Ni develops incredible drawing ability which I feel she would need good eyesight to be able to draw her friends as life like as possible
    • I like the way that you took a normal thing ( such as one of the Drawbacks) from one of the templates and altered it by leaving it out, it is a clever way to make your character more unique and to breath a bit of life into to it by adding your own personal experience to it. I would think you could even take this idea further by purchasing an Advantage such as Fame and have your notoriety be due to your fantastic eyesight and possibly your artistic ability as well. In this way your character would be well known for having such fantastic eyesight by many members of your Jenu (like you are by your own family) and it could be woven into the story as NPC's react to your uncanny ability to see compared to the other members of your species...
    • Some GM's might allow for that, to some extent... There's really no "hard and fast" rules for that kind of thing offered in Shard, because we wanted to give Game Masters the latitude to make such determinations based on their personal beliefs about the extent to which the "human" and the "animal" combine in Shard, when it comes to things like Animal Abilities...

For instance, I'm betting most players would hope that their cat character could see all the colors a human can, while simultaneously have the adept night vision of most felines... Whereas the GM can certainly play it that way in general, there's an argument to be made that the GM could also do the specific research concerning what exactly allows a cat to see so well at night, and therefore determine that all cat characters must also take some form of "Color Blindness" based Drawback.... Likewise, a character without Night Vision built into Animal Template might never be allowed, by that same GM, to take night vision because there's actually a HUGE difference between "a human who sees better in the dark than an average human because they keep the lights low in their room for many years", and "a creature physiologically suited to cat-like night vision because they actually have more rod cells in their eyes than a human being does"...

Here's a great link that talks about the specifics, and even gives a great visible comparison between what a human sees at night and what a cat sees at night... livescience.com/40459-what-do-cats-see.html

[Blocked Image: https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA1Ny85OTcvb3JpZ2luYWwvbmlnaHQtc2lnaHQuanBn]Credit: Nickolay Lamm

...And here's several quotes from it that gives some interesting statistics that a GM could use when determining the interpretation of the rules for their group of players....

Where cat vision really shines is at night; cats have six to eight times more rod cells, which can detect light at low levels, than humans do.

When Fluffy goes crazy for laser pointers, shiny objects and people's ankles, just what is she seeing?

Cats' fondness for pouncing on feet and feathery toys may be rooted in their hunting instinct, but it also has a lot to do with their unique vision. And, as it turns out, scientists know a lot about what cats see.

Now, a new set of images, by artist Nickolay Lamm, tries to capture the differences between cat vision and human vision. Whereas humans are able to see more vibrant colors during the day, their feline companions have the edge when it comes to peripheral vision and night vision. [Images: See What a Cat Sees]

Cats have a wider field of view — about 200 degrees, compared with humans' 180-degree view. Cats also have a greater range of peripheral vision, all the better to spot that mouse (or toy) wriggling in the corner.

Cats are crepuscular, meaning they are active at dawn and dusk. That may be why they need such good night vision. Their eyes have six to eight times more rod cells, which are more sensitive to low light, than humans do.

In addition, cats' elliptical eye shape and larger corneas and tapetum, a layer of tissue that may reflect light back to the retina, help gather more light as well. The tapetum may also shift the wavelengths of light that cats see, making prey or other objects silhouetted against a night sky more prominent.

Their extra rod cells also allow cats to sense motion in the dark much better than their human companions can.

But felines don't have the edge in all areas. The human retina has about 10 times more cones, the light receptors that function best in bright light, than cats' eyes have.

Humans have 10 to 12 times better motion detection in bright light than the cat or dog, since bright-light vision is a cone function.

Humans also have three types of cones, allowing them to see a broad spectrum of colors, with sensitivity peaks at red, green and blue. While cats may have three types of cones, the number and distribution of each type varies. In behavioral tests, cats don't seem to see the full range of colors that most humans do.