Anthrocon 2009 (OMG, Aliens!)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anthrocon 2009 (OMG, Aliens!)

Having just gotten back a few days ago from our first anthropomorphic convention, let me just say,...wow,...we had a fantastic showing there, folks there were incredibly friendly and welcoming, and the SHARD RPG was embraced more than I would have ever expected!

A little about the convention itself... Aside from the general theme of the love for all things anthro (activities, art, literature, and costumes depicting animals with human-like traits), the special theme this year was "OMG, Aliens", so of course they had a sci-fi feel to a lot of their goings-on, including old-fashioned Klingon warriors as general guards and staff, and even a fellow dressed up as Marvin the Martian (quite a humorous "sore-thumb" standout among all those other folks dressed as animal-people).

For those of you who may not be familiar with the fandom that this convention caters to, the folks there are known as "furries" generally, and this term seems to cover, like a huge umbrella, everyone from those who simply enjoy (or create) art depicting anthropomorphic animals both realistic and "cartoony", all the way to folks who enjoy dressing up as their favorite animal in elaborate costumes (think theme-park mascots but often even more amazing and creative) and parading around in persona to enjoy mingling with other guests, or dancing the night away in the various raves that happened each evening.

One thing I took away from the whole affair, having been a member of the SCA myself for many years (a historical society that dresses in medieval clothing and has weekend camping events in persona), is that above all else Anthrocon was an energetic social event chock full of amazing creativity, from the often-incredible level of care, detail, artistry, and technology put into the "fur-suits" themselves (such as working jaws and moving details operated by animatronics in some cases) to the wonderful array of sculpture, arts and crafts, paintings, comics, and many other creative endeavors that overflowed from the dealers' tables, the gallery on display, and "artists' alley" where hundreds of artists gathered during the show to grab a table to do commissions throughout each day... These folks REALLY get into their hobby! It's honestly great to see... :)) Exuberant joyous creativity and a welcoming social atmosphere are highly underrated traits these days. More power to them!

The city of Pittsburgh welcomed Anthrocon with open arms, and as a result, whether wandering through the lobby of the Westin hotel or walking around the several block area near the convention center, happy people in and out of costume were everywhere, lounging on couches, strutting down the sidewalks, and celebrating in local restaurants and watering-holes... It was a great time for people-watching! :D

When I first arrived, I was unsure as to whether there would be enough gamers at a convention like this to support the sales of the SHARD RPG... If sales weren't that great, we'd have to decide whether we could afford to keep attending it... I needn't have worried in the slightest! What took us four whole days to sell at Origins (40 hard-cover books and about 20 each of all the rest of our products), took us merely a day and a half to sell completely out at Anthrocon! AMAZING! DELIGHTFUL!

These folks really love their gaming! And as the primary artist for our stuff, it was really great to hear all the compliments about the game's art itself... And for Aaron, to hear tell of the appreciation for the creative setting of the game, it was a real ego-booster!

What a fantastic show it was for us... We'll definitely be attending next year!

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Anthrocon 2009 (OMG, Aliens!)

Nice to see they didn't scare you away! Furries have such a bad reputation, but they're generally as nice or decent as most other people.

Actually, I'm not amazed at the demand for Shard at all! Currently, there are only two or three published anthropomorphic-based RPGs, and MANY furries are gamers.

Now you and Aaron get some rest! You've hit convention after convention! And isn't Gen Con coming up?!
      ~ This post brought to you by the Dvorak keyboard layout ~

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      No rest for the wicked!

Scott and I will be doing some Shard demo games at local gaming stores the next couple of weekends, then getting ready for Gen Con.

I will, however, take at least one weekend where I just float in a nice, cool swimming pool and do nothing but stare at the sky.

And sleep. :)
      You deserve it!
      ~ This post brought to you by the Dvorak keyboard layout ~

Thanks Karizma!

We really appreciate your concerns, and OH YES we're exhausted.. Believe me when I say that, once this convention circuit is over,...I'm going to try to take a much-deserved vacation, just to recharge my creative batteries... My muse is feeling wrinkled and thread-bare...

Oh,...and thanks for the private message as well... It's always good to hear heart-felt sentiments and support... Check for my reply like-wise when you have the chance.

Take care!

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Drohem
      That's great news that SHARD was so well received there. It sounds like a very interesting and cool convention.

It really was! :D Despite being stuck behind a table most of the show,...it was a wondrous spectacle with all kinds of neat sights, including a seemingly never-ending parade of more than 640 folks in full costume at one point, headed up by a cool marching goat in full kilt playing the bagpipes!

Fun!

Hopefully I'll eventually get some of the poor-quality photos I took posted.... (I really need to just break down and get an i-phone....)

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Scott Jones

It really was! :D Despite being stuck behind a table most of the show,...it was a wondrous spectacle with all kinds of neat sights, including a seemingly never-ending parade of more than 640 folks in full costume at one point, headed up by a cool marching goat in full kilt playing the bagpipes!

Fun!

Hopefully I'll eventually get some of the poor-quality photos I took posted.... (I really need to just break down and get an i-phone....)

Scottie ^^

I was so pleased that Anthrocon went so well for you and for Shard. Wasn't it great to sell your own personal copy of the rules there on Saturday?

Helping out out a little behind the table was also a great deal of fun, though I was a bit nervous, I hope I did the game justice in how I dealt with potential customers. I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to try and lend a hand promoting what an amazing game it is, not just in concept, but in the products attached to it.

Oh, and that demo game friday night was amazing fun. It was just the right length. I had as much fun watching the other players as I did playing myself. Good people. Great GM.
    • Thanks Mulefoot!

I am so thankful that you were willing and able to help me out at the booth... I would have starved to death otherwise!

Your excitement about our stuff was really great as well, and I have no doubt that your enthusiasm helped sell some of those books that seemed to practically fly off the table...

It's really gonna be interesting to see if our reception is as amazing next year, now that the game is out and in the hands of the populace...

Running those demos at night was a blast, and will certainly be something that we repeat in some form or another next year... Having you join in was a special bonus!...

Thanks again, my friend!

Scottie ^^