Gen Con Indy 2009

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gen Con Indy 2009

Hey folks!

We are in the process, even now, of preparing to go to this year's Gen Con Indy!!!!

Gen Con Indy home page

It's just a week away my friends!

Shard Studios (that's us :D) will be there in a booth alonside our publisher Studio 2 (in booth #1701)... According to our printer, we'll have a shipment of our core rules (the Basic Compendium) there for us to sell, along with all the rest of our current products...

In addition we plan to do numerous demos while we're there right in the booth! Please stop by, say "hello!" and join us for a game if you happen to be attending the show...

Once we're back from Gen Con we're eagerly awaiting on the rest of our products from our printers to arrive and finally start appearing on hobby and game-store shelves everywhere!

Wish us luck at the show!

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Gen Con Indy 2009

Heya Folks,

We flew in from Gen Con Indy last night, and boy are our arms tired. :)

The show was a great success. It was wonderful interacting with a whole bunch of smart gamers and enthusiastic fans. It was great to see the folks who demo'd the game last year show up at the booth to get their Shard products. It was like seeing old friends again. And we made some new friends as well. We hope we see everyone on the Forums.

While we were there, we did an interview with the folks over at the Game Master Show. Big thanks to Mario and Dave for setting that up. We had a blast hanging out with those guys and look forward to hanging out again next year. We recommend everyone check out the Game Master Show podcasts. They're a lot of fun.

thegamemastershow.com/componen…n,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

One observation I made at the show was that easily 50-60% of the gamers who bought Shard were women. Yay for girl gamers!

We always suspected Shard would appeal to members of the fairer sex (many of our playtesters were women). In fact, a couple of groups who bought the game included young women who admitted they had never played an RPG before. We are flattered that they chose Shard as their first experience into the wonderful world of RPGs.

Sadly, we didn't get to see much of the show as most of our day was taken up with manning the booth and interacting with customers. Next year, we'll each take an hour or so to wander around the showroom floor.

To all the new fans of Shard, we thank you for your patronage, enthusiasm and generosity. We hope that you get as much joy from Shard as we have.

And remember, if you have any questions about anything in the Basic Compendium, don't hesitate to post a question in the appropriate forum. We check the forums every day and will always respond to questions.

-Aaron
    • Originally posted by Mulefoot
      I'm really eager to hear all about how Gencon went. I hope you guys dazzled them.

THey certainly dazzled my brother, one of my friends and I. I know we each bought a copy of the book. I bought a copy of everyhting available.

I can't wait to give the game a try. I know that running a booth is hard, and I imagine it's only moreso for a new game, but it looked like the booth did fairly well!
      -JFC Wolz
      HISTORIAN
    • It was great meeting you guys. We can't wait to hear what your game is like. Hopefully you'll keep your brother and your friend on their toes. :)

We hope you guys become regulars here on the forums. And feel free to share adventure ideas, campaign stories, creature concepts, etc. Shard is a big world and needs folks like you to help it come to life.

Cheers, buddy!

-Aaron
    • RE: Gen Con Indy 2009

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive

In fact, a couple of groups who bought the game included young women who admitted they had never played an RPG before. We are flattered that they chose Shard as their first experience into the wonderful world of RPGs.

Hey one of those was my group! My friends Emily and Ashlee have never played a tabletop. My boyfriend, Danny, and I are immensely excited that they're finally going to play with us. Thanks a ton!
    • As it has worked out, Kelsea is playing a cheetah Seer, Corwin a kangaroo rat honor guard (mouse with bounding? Seems cool to me! His martial arts are based around combining acrobatics and nerve strikes for a style that consists mostly of strafes, ducks, dodges, rolls, and dives to surround an enemy and cause them to expose weak points. He's put some love into this so far.), Joe an indian elephant honor guard (intends to base his arts solely around grabbing smaller opponents, goring them, and hurling them into others. Humongoloid murder machine.), Hieu an armadillo honor guard based around defensive fighting and using his body as a shield, I suppose.... and we're not entirely sure what Emily (Nactare) or Ashlee (Poison Dart Woman) will be.
      Although I've moved it up to Talented Power Level, approximately, so Ash can probably be a poison dart frog.
    • Wow!!!! The characters you guys have already described sound GREAT so far, and it also sounds like you are really thinking about all the little cool details that make the game fun on an individual level (individually noted manuevers you use to create your own Martial Arts Styles.......a mouse with bounding..... YES!!!!)

By the way,...obviously great minds think alike... As sort of a "sneak preview" I'll mention that even now we are working on several supplemental hardcover books, one of which will contain an expansion to the Martial Arts rules that creates individual martial styles that have their own sets of combined maneuvers we call Multi-Maneuvers, which cost multiple Combat Actions to perform and allow for effects that really set each style apart from one another, and even include a special Maneuver Location table of their own with new individual maneuvers from time to time... It sounds like you guys are already enjoying the idea of making your own styles of martial arts different from each other to some awesome extent...so you're well on your way!

You guys are going to have a great time with this...

Scottie ^^
    • His other ideas were a male polar bear courtesan/concubine (Humorous as well as creepy), and some form of platypus (which I figured would just be a shrew minus natural weaponry (claws) in exchange for (spurs), plus protective lids and aquatic, and maybe a couple of additional optional talents and drawbacks).

I'm working out more details of the origins of their styles and such when I have the opportunity today. Those martial arts supplemental books sound like they're going to be pretty sweet.
    • I just wanted to say that you guys had a great showing at the Con this past weekend. The display definently caught my eye and pulled me in to find this great game.

Thanks for taking the time and talk with me for awhile on Saturday (I was the one who mentioned Anima: BF if that rings a bell)

Glad to be part of a new rising game. I hope the fanbase keeps growing and this games gets super popular. :O Everyone knows it deserves to be.

~Iggy
    • Thanks Iggy!

Yeah! I remember you mentioning Anima! I actually hadn't heard of it before, so I'm gonna have to check it out...

Yeah, Gen Con this year was fun, and we're even now excitedly trying to figure out how to make it even better for next year... (more gaming events is what we're thinking, and maybe even a better booth!)

<plans within plans within plans within plans......>

Scottie ^^