Dignitaries of the House

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dignitaries of the House

Some NPC's I've invented that occupy the same House as my PCs. I'd like to get a general opinion of them, and I'd like to invite everyone to look them over and make sure they all make sense and whatnot.
      I am, after all, pretty new to the setting.
      I'm also somewhat at a loss as to exactly where I should set these fellows geographically. Any help with that you'd like to offer I would also greatly appreciate.

While typically very fair and even-tempered, the aryah of House Urvaj can be easily perturbed when faced with any shortcoming of his own or of his House, and will often resort to shifting blame and leaping to conclusions. He has a very, very prominent rivalry with his cousin Andhoju, who rules over House Zashad, another of the smaller Houses in the Damahida Line. Recently, his father passed on, and left his most considerable assets to Niahsujin's cousin- something Niahsujin himself believes to have been the result of trickery on Andhoju's part, even going so far as to theorize that his cousin poisoned his father after getting him to agree to those outlandish conditions. The details of what really happened are sketchy, though, and while he'd never admit it, this is just supposition. His father's ignorance of his son in favor of his nephew is the source of much gossip, and all of House Urvaj is laughed at or pitied, as Niahsujin's reputation declines and he is more and more considered a fool.

His right-hand man, the chamberlain and House Sir'hibas, Thamuk, is a surprisingly even-tempered and open old Fox. He works closely with everyone, and does his best to soothe Niahsujin's temper (He would've been your master, Kelsea and Ashlee, and still functions as a kindly mentor.), assuring him that if Andhoju commits any acts of mystical subterfuge, he will be found out.

Summusu, father to Summusubu, (Joe's father, essentially) is the Captain of the Honor Guards, and Niahsujin's personal bodyguard. A powerful warrior by any means, the gruff old Gajah is distant but proud of his mighty son, to whom he passed on his pugilistic martial style.

An aging, grey hare and old friend of Summusu and Niahsujin, Vitshaang the arena master is a resourceful warrior in his twilight years, often hanging up his blades in favor of fragrant teas and poetry. A force to be reckoned with nonetheless, all the honor guards receive training from him, including his nephew Zividh (Corwin), with whom he has shared many of his old martial secrets.

A young but grizzled badger, Bharsin the weapons master is an artisan first and warrior second, more often heard working crystal and amber into blades, maces, spears, vaylah weapons, and armor than seen. He is a quiet and tenacious individual, and is always approached with respect

Kuraya, the master of the watch is a sprightly and eccentric squirrel, and is regarded as a fearless and loyal fighter even by his enemies. Though he is often seen climbing about the structures of the House and executing acrobatic maneuvers apparently out of boredom, his senses are keen and he is never unawares. A good deal of the sentries and watchmen of House Urvaj are his own children.

A very, very learned and strange gibbon, Anihita, the House physician and interrogator is as adept at setting flesh on the mend as she is making it crawl, and she is content to be held in high regards and at least moderately feared at once. The old girl is rarely approached for anything other than what is necessary, and seems to have a sense of detachment that demands as much.

Ekadruh the dance master is an attractive and impeccably stylish songbird, and has always had a close friendship with Thamuk, with whom she works closely to manage House rituals and religious holidays.

Anihita's brother and a similarly strange character, Arhinak is the House's crystal master, and is almost always spied meandering about the place cleaning and caring for the valuable crystals adorning the halls, when he isn't busy crafting clothes in the latest fashions and of the finest materials for himself and his Housemates. He is often thought weird for his astounding attention to detail and fastidiousness when it comes to matters of style and dress, and also his perpetual bachelor state.

A brave and powerful hunter, Vardar the suthra master is very devoted to his work in training and breeding beasts of all sorts, as well as hunting them in the wild. As far as brown bears go, though, he is also quite amiable.

The master librarian, Vavih the mouse, is rarely seen or heard, except by the children whom she schools and the chamberlain, with whom she works, and is instead more typically ensconced in one tome or another.
    • RE: Dignitaries of the House

Wow Danny, that's an EXCELLENT set of House dignitaries and prime NPCs...

It sounds like you've already collected a lot of ideas pertaining to eventual plot threads within the House itself...and you certainly seem to have already captured the esential "feel" of the world in your descriptions... Those are some NPCs described as well as I could have done!

Because it's the "center of the trade world" Tishínia is always a great starting point for a wonderfully mixed group of characters, as is, potentially Ullésh, considering that you have elephants as part of the House, with Háthiyar being south of there across the Kanyi Sea and just south of the nation of Nilám... Nilám too, with its University in Hanálu and plenty of jánah from all over the world, might make a good origin point for you guys...

You're off to a really great start!

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Dignitaries of the House

Fantastic NPCs, Danny. Bravo! You've got the spirit of the House-centered game beautifully. I can't wait to hear about your players' adventures.

I would also recommend setting the campaign in Tishinia, the trading center for the world. The capital city is called Sadahm, and it's like a combination of ancient Venice and Baghdad. Everyone eventually comes to Sadahm for one reason or another.

Again, Danny, great work!

-Aaron
    • I have a lot of plans brewing, and kind of want to take this game in several directions over time. I figured it'd be easiest to start them off as pretty well-rounded Sunborn so things aren't too mud-and-blood to start with, as it seems like the real cool stuff is in the fantastic here, not the mundane and gritty.
      I'd really like to thank you guys. I have a really good feeling about this, and value your help and support.