"Three Books" Question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "Three Books" Question

I thought that SHARD was made up of three separate core rulebooks. The way things are now it looks like there will be the Basic Compendium and the other two books (World Book and Magic-Martial Arts Book) have been made into expansions? Are they all three still core rulebooks or? Also, I know your just now getting SHARD out the door but any idea when the World and Magic/Martial Arts books may be heading to distributors?
      Be Thankful For Everything For Soon There Will Be Nothing!
    • RE: "Three Books" Question

Here's my suggestions to all of you Shard fans out there. Push Shard Studios to release the current versions of the Magic and Martial Arts and World Guide books as alpha or beta test-version PDF's, like Paizo did with their early PATHFINDER work. If you're trying to run a Dardünah campaign I can assure you it will help tremendously! I already own them since i had a small hand in some of the material for them and I can say that hardcore badassery of even the existent, not-ready-for-final-release, material is going to expand and improve your Dardünah campaign tenfold.
      So mercilessly hound Scott and Aaron day after day to release the unfinished beta copies of the 'Magic and Martial Arts' and 'Worldguide' books until they are forced to drive over to my house and threaten me with violence and civil legal action for bringing this on them. Then I'll just post a bittorrent of them anyway, cuz that's the kind of devil-may-care, James Dean pimp I am.
      But I figure, better it be done by them, on their terms, since they are both my friends and super-cool motherf*ckers from way back.
      Anyway, call, write, email, post...sh*t, send em a telegram! Nobody expects that anymore!
      And don't let em bullsh*t you. There are perfectly beautiful versions of both those books that were days away from going to the printers before they decided to stall the project with a massive overhaul. (Which I was 100% for and was a decision i totally support!!). Make 'em tantalize you with those busted-*ss old versions, and once you see the transcendent wonder contained there-in, You will know that the future of this game is flippin RAD to the power of SICK! Seriously, gang, Shard Studios has some powerhouse talent that will guarantee that the final versions of those books will be most-excellent!
      "Daggra" means "Enemy" in Tibetan.
      "Chora" means "Thief" in Sanskrit.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghorüm ().

• I hope your joking about releasing it on a torrent if the developers aren't keen with the beta program ala Pathfinder. They should be the only folks who have the right to make such decisions. Such an act could literally sink the game if not done through proper channels like Pathfinder was.

On a similar note, are the three books considered core material or is it just the Basic Compendium and the other two books are just supplements/rules expansions?
      Be Thankful For Everything For Soon There Will Be Nothing!
    • Don't worry, Scott knows where I live.
      I wouldn't really do such a thing.
      But I like to make 'em sweat a little because I am known for being unpredictable, rash and impetuous and I have again and again proven that I lack the requisite foresight to make me fear the repercussions of my actions before i do them.
      However, I would do nothing to hurt my dear old friends (I've known Scott since he was 16. I was a guest at Aaron's first wedding) or hamper the triumphant progress of the mighty Shard property into history and legend.
      Still though...you never know...

...j/k ;)
    • The Shard Studios boys will have to answer that for sure, but I have heard a rumor that a greatly expanded creatures-section will feature in the world guide making it a bit of a Monster Manual for Shard. Also, since I know the martial arts very well, I can assure you that once you see the sheer volume of martial arts rules in that MaMA book, i think you and your players will find it to be pretty much a must-have kind of, "Why didn't they put this thing out sooner" kind of core rulebook. I certainly feel that it is so. That's why I so long to have them hook you guys who haven't seen it by giving you those early, editions to play around with while you await the true masterworks that are soon coming. Honestly, the VASTLY expanded rules for magic and martial arts so fulfill the games promise that you will not even BELIEVE some of the great ideas in there.
    • RE: "Three Books" Question

Hey there Mulsiphix!

To answer your question, we are indeed intending to release the other two books as expansions of the core material, and we currently intend to present them in the form of hardcover, full-color books just like the Basic Compendium...

The plan at the beginning was to release all three simultaneously, but due to various technical issues concerning re-edits that we needed to do, the timing of the initial print run, and the additional content we are wanting to include, we decided to release them one at a time, with hopefully no more that six months to a year between them...

I know that a wait like that can be daunting,...but we are considering releasing playable examples of some of the juicer bits as we revise them, just to keep you guys interested, and to let you know we're still working hard to make the game of SHARD an even cooler experience...

Thanks so much for your interest in these books,...and believe me, if I have anything to do with it, all the cool stuff that is currently within these prototype books,...as well as much more,...will be getting out there and into the hands of the players and Gamemasters as soon as possible... It's just too cool not to share!

Scottie ^^
    • I know this sounds totally 6@Y, but I love you Scott! I can't WAIT for the players at large to see the sheer volume of work you guys have so painstakingly accomplished! Get those chapters up here for us all soon! I cant stress enough to everybody here on the forum how kick-ass this material is!