Scott Jones' Campaign (Post Apocalyptic)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Scott Jones' Campaign (Post Apocalyptic)

Here we have a little taste of how I record my games after they have been played (in outline form)... I usually pass this on to my players a means of them keeping track of what has transpired. I have another format I use (quite similar to this one below) to outline possible scenarios before they happen, listing all the possibilities I might need to cover during the course of the game, depending on possible player actions on a broad scale.

My current game is a post-apocalyptic one (one of the possible campaign examples listed in the Basic Compendium), set during a time revealed in one of Aaron's games awhile back, and assuming some things that should not necessarily be considered "canon" right now... Thus, if I continue posting fun stuff from my games here, I'll be withholding information that might cause current forum readers to assume "too much" about what might happen in Dárdünah's future. Instead, I'll just be focusing on stuff that could be enjoyed in almost anyone's campaign, in case the ideas may be inspirational to others...

After the little adventure tidbit below, I'll also include the "roughed out" version of the new creature I was experimenting with during this game session (testing its strengths and weaknesses, and getting a feel for its game balance). This creature (in some final and revised form) will appear among the 40 or so new creatures that we intend to offer in the World Guide once we finish editing that book... Consider this a teaser...

Enjoy!

Scottie ^^

XXII. Journey to the Ruins of Samüdra
      1. The five day journey, first across the Dharshán Ocean west from Klinráh, and then over Ullésh and across the Kanyi Sea, is uneventful through the first three days, and the party uses that time to focus on a few things they wish to accomplish before arriving deep in Rakshi territory. There are weapons to hone, armor to repair and construct, and rituals to perform.
      2. In the middle of the fourth day, however, high above the waters of the very center of the Kanyi Sea, their peaceful journey is shattered. In the evening hours, after the setting of the two suns, strange lights appear in the clouds above them, and before they know what's going on a pack of vicious, flying, bioluminescent, semi-translucent squid/cuttlefish the size of large chinti (not including the additional length of the tentacles) attack the skyship, grabbing victims to carry them away, tearing at the sails and rigging, and shattering the skycrystals that hold the ship aloft with their terrible beaks in an attempt to wreck the vessel. These creatures, called sarkarkash, use bioluminescence to communicate with each other and to distract prey while others attack.
      3. The battle rages as the monstrous predators are killed or driven away, but not before the ship is rendered flightless, and several members of the party have been carried away or severely wounded. Kelir the eagle heir manages to fly after and rescue Wamusham the porcupine Endower, and in the process discovers the desert island the beasts were returning to, where several other wrecked ships become apparent, and from the tiny strip of jungle emerges numerous castaway survivors from Ullésh that had become victims of the monsters as they fled southward across the sea from the ravagers who were invading their country from the north.
      4. Once the battle is done, the wounded healed, and the ship brought safely down to rest near the beach. The Ulléshi castaways are brought aboard the ship, and plans are made to retrieve what supplies they can from the other vessels needed to repair their ship, including extra skycrystals to replace those crushed by the tentacled beasts. In addition, a plan must be made to rescue the crew taken alive by the creatures (including the First Mate of the ship). According to the aardvark hunter Charrat (who possesses a great deal of Suthra Lore), the victims will be thrown into a deep clay pit from which they cannot climb, created in the lair of these creatures high in the crystal crags of the island, to await the hatching of their horrible brood from hollow muddy "egg-cysts" adorning the earthy chamber at the bottom of the pit. The newly-hatched young will then swarm over the victims, eating the unfortunate captives alive.
        [/list=a]

Sarkarkásh (sar-car-COSH) - Aerial, semi-translucent, squid/cuttlefish-predatory pack hunter that uses bioluminescence to communicate with each other and to distract prey while others attack. They can range in size from a small kelléndu to a large chinti. These remarkably intelligent predators have been known to attack skyships in packs, destroying rigging, shattering skycrystals, and grabbing prey from off the decks.

STAMINA: 6-66 levels
        ARMOR: 1 point
        NORMAL ACTION DICE:
        Standard Movement (hovering flight), Flying "Sprint", Night
        Vision, Clinging, Climbing, Standard Sensory
        Rolls, etc. : 9
        SPECIAL ACTIONS:
        Bio-illuminant Distraction to allow Surprise, Entangle Prey (Bind/Grab then Hold/Lock), Beak Bite, Crush Targeted Area (Broken Limb or Feature using either beak or tentacles; and can be used on inanimate objects such as skycrystals and ship's masts and rigging), Pack Tactics (used as a Complementary Skill Roll): 11