Sup All?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello All,

So I was at my local hobby shop this evening (Dragon's Lair, San Antonio), and I saw the Shard books up on the "new release" shelves. As customary for any new games is see that strike my interest, I go home and check out their websites prior to buying them (got burned a few too many times on impulse buys). So here I am checking it out! I am happy to say I will be going back tomorrow with the intention of buying the 3 available products.

Role-playing history:
      I started out in role playing with red box D&D, that was like 5th grade, I think (ageing myself here!). TMNT was the first game that I ever GM'd. I think I was in like 8th grade then, maybe 7th. I was always big on the idea of the "animal people", so that gave Shard natural appeal to me, and I am also a big fan of racial character options, so having the plethera in the main book also appealed to me. I have dabbled in a number of games Star Wars (racial options galore), Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Kult, white-wolf's lines to name a few, but I never found any that excited me like that old TMNT did. This game may have put that spark back in me.

Some questions...

The complimentory pack comes with a map, is it the same map as sold in the online store?

Other then the two announced books, what other ideas are floating around for suppliments for the game?

Any plans to demo in San Antonio? I couldn't help but note the Dragon's Lair affiliation.

I have a ton more but will stop there for now, as they may be answered when I read the book. (like are there badgers?, plans to bring in Australian animals perhaps from a continent "down under", with instead of the current Asian inspired outlook they have more the aboriginal thing going on, or native american inspired culture? wow, the potential is endless.)

The personal stuff (background): I was born and raised in Chicago, but I have also lived in Phoenix, San Diego, Anchorage, Pensacola, Winter Harbor Maine, Reno NV, mostly during my time in the military. I did 10 years in the Navy (cryptologist - super secret squirrel computer nerd for those outta the know) and went to Iraq with the Army (IA program, still in the Navy but on "loan";). I got injured there which eventually brought about my decision to get out. I moved to San Antonio where I attend nursing school. Of all the places I have lived with the exception of Reno, SA seems to have the least amount of role-players per capita there are a ton of people who play, but mostly power gamers. (I think the role-players all move to wierd Austin).

As to the dude working at BioWare (awesome job on Dragon Age, and I am anxious to hear more about The Old Republic, and Mass Effect 2.) Man, what a great job!

P.S. If I can't cut and paste from this forum into word, then I desperately need for this thing to have a spell check!
      ToG

"Violence may not be the best option..... but it's still an option!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tides of Gore ().

• RE: Sup All?

Hey Tides!

Man I WISH this sucker had a spell-check,...but yes indeed,... I know personally that you will be able to cut and paste into Word from here, because that's exactly what I do each and every time I post, to avoid utter embarrassment... Heh!

I'm so glad you've discovered SHARD! Yep,...the folks at Dragon's Lair have been very kind and gracious to us concerning their support and excitement throughout the development of the game, and continue to support us locally and throughout Texas by carrying our stuff...

To answer some of your questions...the map in the Convenience pack is one step above the map in the book,...and one step below the large wall map sold online through our publisher Studio 2... The map in the book is artfully subdivided to be presented on two different pages, and is generally unadorned, containing the basic countries depicted in solid colors that reference the general terrain-type found there... The map in the Convenience Pack features the same solid colors for the terrain, but is on a single 11"x17" folded sheet with a detailed border containing painted vignettes of the various areas of the world... The large wall-map offered online is a poster-sized map with an even larger presentation of the painted scenes surrounding it in the ornate border, and the terrain itself is painted in full detail with tiny little city icons showing buildings and towers, miniature panted mountains, and even little trees and bushes you can see! (I had fun painting with that one)

As far as other supplements go, the coolest ideas we had played with were "Travel Guides" to the various countries, gloriously illuminating their cultural details and interesting locales... We're also in the middle of having artists working on some little statues of some of the Zoic characters for those that like to collect such things... And hopefully (if I can get a handle upon my own workload) I'll be putting up free mini-adventures soon right here on the Forums!

As far as demo-ing goes, I intend to get a demo scheduled for the Dragon's Lair Austin real soon,....and I'll gladly talk to the San Antonio folks about doing the same!

And badgers!!! We got badgers! Yes indeed! And various "down under" animals in this first release as well (and more to come once we get the Magic And Martial Arts book complete...).

Take care! And thanks for the interest! And oh yes,...we'll gladly answer any other questions you have once you have a chance to sink your teeth into the book!

Scottie ^^
    • There are plans for demos in both Dragon's Lair Austin and Dragon's Lair San Antonio. What Scott and Aaron aren't running, I probably will be!

(Before anyone asks, I am the webmaster for both Dragon's Lair stores and occasionally run game demos!)

Keep your eyes on the Dragon's Lair online message boards and our website (dlair.net and dlair.net/phpbb3) for more information.

Thanks!
      /jayiin
    • Hey Peoples,

School has been a real bear this year, so I have been a ghost as of late! Between studies and running my Shard campaigns, and family, I have not had much time for a whole lot else.

Hope all is well and glad to see that GenCon was a success for the system.

I'll be catching up and posting all over these boards for the next few days, providing some updates and what not.

Keep spreading the plague...
      ToG

"Violence may not be the best option..... but it's still an option!"