When Vaylah weapons are outlawed, only outlaws will have vaylah weapons...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When Vaylah weapons are outlawed, only outlaws will have vaylah weapons...

As I've been coming up with story ideas to use in the campaigns I wish to run, I found myself thinking of a classic film, Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai. The plot has been recycled many times since then from blatant rip-offs like the cowboy movie, the Magnificent Seven and even by an episode of Enterprise. Its a great movie with a lot more depth than at first glance and certainly something I think GM's ought to watch to get a good grasp on non-western peasants. The story is worth adapting for a quick and easy game, especially for those players that want a combat-heavy game.

One of the things I like in the film is the primative firearms and I recall a scene where, Kikuchiyo uses a gun taken from the bandits against them. in Shard terms, his character certainly wasn't of a caste allowed to use vaylah weapons. What would be the repercussions of such an action in the Dardunah universe? Could a peasant in a pinch, pick up a loaded vaylah weapon and pull the trigger with no later social or legal consequence if such had happened during an emergency?

Since thieves, bandits, highywaymen and the like are alll outcaste by definition, that would mean technically they're not allowed to use Vaylah weapons. I remember reading that the penalty for having such would be death. I can only infer that the penalty for being a raping, murderous bandit is also death. So, in the world of Dardunah, how often it at all, would bandits and their kind use illegal weaponry? Seems once you're already a wanted man, it doens't matter what other crimes you commit.

If vaylah weapons are outlawed, will only outlaws have vaylah weapons? :)
    • RE: When Vaylah weapons are outlawed, only outlaws will have vaylah weapons...

This is absolutely correct, Mulefoot. Outlaws and criminals would prize Vaylah weapons and attempt to get them whenever and however they could. They'd also likely have lots of older Vaylah weapons that had been patched up multiple times and heavily personalized to its bandit owner. Imagine a group of outlaws with a collection of heavily modded firearms, like something out of MAD MAX or some post-apocalyptic movie.

This is another reason why outlaws prize gunsmiths and gunsmithing. They need someone to care for their older and often used weapons. If Vaylah weapons are rare in a certain area, then only the bandit chieftains would likely have them.

In the case of the peasant using a Vaylah weapon in an emergency, the consequences would depend on the situation and on the authorities enforcing the rules. If the peasant had used a Vaylah weapon to, say, save the life of a powerful lord, then that peasant would likely be forgiven his transgression (and in fact, rewarded, possibly by having his Caste elevated from peasant to Sunborn).

However, wouldn't it be a great and tragic story if a powerful lord were saved by a peasant wielding a Vaylah weapon and then the authorities deemed he had to die regardless? Maybe the lord would arrange for the peasant to be broken out of jail and safely taken to another province or land? Or maybe the lord would find someone else to die in the peasant's place? That's a great plot for a book or a movie. :)

-Aaron
    • RE: When Vaylah weapons are outlawed, only outlaws will have vaylah weapons...

Well Using a the firearm wouldn't be our Dardunian Kiku's only problem, if I remember right he was also pretending to be a Samurai, so he would be a peasant Pretending to be High Caste!

More over if we were to continue this, he is using the firearm to in effect protect other peasants. Depending on who the lord is and their outlook on Peasants, that could change things. If this lord considers the life of a peasant to be his properity than he may have Kiku beaten and sent to a penal colony

If he is a benevolent ruler, than he may grant Kiku admission to the warrior caste, and apperenticeship under one of the warriors he fought under who the lord deems the most able to teach him the proper ways of the caste.
      If it comes down to the rules or the story; sorry but the rule book just became a paper-weight.

Originally posted by HereticalGM
      ..., so he would be a peasant Pretending to be High Caste!

Indeed, that in itself is already quite a crime! :O

More over if we were to continue this, he is using the firearm to in effect protect other peasants.

This poses the question however, why Kiku did not resort to weapons that were freely available to his caste?
      If for some reason this was the only way to fulfill this deed, and not due to his ignorance towards the laws that be, the situation would be a bit different!

Depending on who the lord is and their outlook on Peasants, that could change things. If this lord considers the life of a peasant to be his properity than he may have Kiku beaten and sent to a penal colony

If the lord considers the life of the peasants his property, maybe he'd be glad it was protected? x)

Either way if the peasants are really thankful for what he did and plea their lord to spare him, he could get released with a warning... all of his firearms confiscated of course. :/

"It's a nice thing you did but don't ever pretend you are another caste or use firearms again!"

If he is a benevolent ruler, than he may grant Kiku admission to the warrior caste, and apperenticeship under one of the warriors he fought under who the lord deems the most able to teach him the proper ways of the caste.

Well I'm not sure how many peasants he saved so far, but I suppose to consider introducing him to the high caste it must have been a whole village. x3

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().