Inspiration Music

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Inspiration Music

In the course of digging through the material, I started wondering what people use for inspiration music.

So far, I've found:

Adiemus by Adiemus (yes, it was in an AT&T commercial)
      Call to Prayer (Baaba Maal - Passion Sources)
      Passion: Music for the Last Temptation of Christ (Peter Gabriel)
      An Ending - Ascent (Brian Eno - A Brief History of Ambient Vol 2)
      Kongerei (Kronos Quartet w/ the Throat Singers of Tuva - Night Prayers)
      Long Walk Home: Music from Rabbit-Proof Fence (Peter Gabriel)
      Birdy Soundtrack (Peter Gabriel)

I have no Indian music in my collection (most of what I can find is Bollywood).
    • RE: Inspiration Music

8mm Original Sound Track - Mychael Danna (there are few deliciously dark pieces)
      Kama Sutra: a Tale of Love - Mychael Danna (a great mix of eastern pieces for any mood)

You'll want to check out the work of the following people for some great music to play Shard by.

Mychael Danna: He did the soundtracks for 8mm and for a few other things. 8mm has some really great, dark pieces, perfect for the demonic. Danna's soundtrack for Karma Sutra: A Tale of Love has a wide variety of sultry, eastern sounding pieces. You'd sort of expect that with the title. For more fun, check out his soundtrack for Monsoon Wedding. Here's a great little dark bit from 8mm.
      youtube.com/watch?v=zG6ccnDLmmY

Bear McCreary: Bear has done a lot of work for television science fiction and for a few movies. In the Battlestar Galactica reimagining that finished up a few months ago on the Sci-Fi channel, his scores are quite delicious. If you go to youtube and search for him, you'll find a lot of recordings of his work for BSG. A lot of his fight scene music is quite suitable to play while running a battle.

youtube.com/watch?v=EETxxdlddBA&feature=related
      youtube.com/watch?v=d8CDqX85rm4&feature=related
      youtube.com/watch?v=vogXU33BO30

Or just the whole season 3 OST...
      youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1…ar+Galactica+Season+3+OST

Deva Premal has some great spiritual music. The sound of her vocals inspired the eastern direction that the opening theme for the new BSG took. Check out her album called Dakshina. You can hear some samples of her work at devapremalmiten.com/

David and Steve Gordon have made a career out of very peaceful new age music chock full of nature sounds. Their album, Shaman's Journey, has a mellow, atmospheric quality that I think would be conducive to good gaming. Meditation Drum is also a good album. Nirvana Groove is sort of good, but a little too...piano poppy.

Another group I like is Shiva in Exile.
      They're ethnic-fusion, not unlike Enigma but a little more eastern influence and bouncy. Check them out at magnatune.com/artists/shiva_in_exile
      There you can stream both albums. The Magnatune site is kinda neat because you can buy a download of the album and pay what you want. 8 dollars is the recomend price but they'll take as low as 5 or as high as 18. Listen to the albums and if you want copies, decide what they're worth to you.

Dead Can Dance has a song that I find epic for mood. If you can't see crystal peeks and alien jungles with Yulunga nothing will inspire you.
      youtube.com/watch?v=sJqUbb-WuPQ
      youtube.com/watch?v=QJhVM930YXY&feature=related

Mulefoot had some great suggestions and the links are really helpful. I thought I'd add in the link to David and Steve Gordon. They are very accomplished musicians who have created some of my favorite inspirational and meditation music. I hope you enjoy them too!

Shaman's Vision Journey: sequoiarecords.com/x808cd/Shaman%27s+Vision+Journey.html
      Meditation Drum: sequoiarecords.com/x802cd/Meditation+Drum.html
      Nirvana Groove: sequoiarecords.com/x502cd/Nirvana+Groove.html
      Also, check out Drum Cargo, Rythms of Fire: sequoiarecords.com/x881cd/Drum+Cargo%3A+Rhythms+of+Fire.html

The post was edited 1 time, last by LeoLady7 ().

I agree with LeoLady7, I have been playing RPG's for a few years now and David and Steve Gordon's music is great to add ambiance and atmosphere to any game. Since their music doesn't have any harsh vocals it is not distracting to your game and can also make for great background sounds while you play. I was just listening to the Album Drum Cargo, Rhythms of Fire using the link LeoLady7 posted and I love it! Very primal and earthy - suits my game perfectly! Thanks for the links!
    • RE: Inspirational Music

(I really hope I don't get in trouble for Necro'ing this thread)

A lot of my inspiration in musical form has come from the band The Sword. Not necessarily as ambient music during play but more as a font from which I draw cool ideas. In fact, I'm thinking of running a campaign based off their "Warp Riders" album
    • RE: Inspirational Music

Don't worry about bringing a seemingly "dead" thread back to life... It's always good to see additions to some of the great info offered here by fans...

I've never heard about "The Sword", so I'll absolutely have to check them out!

I'm even now in the process of having one of my long-time players assisting me in getting my own game-theme music collection properly organized in preparation for some of the folks who have volunteered to use it for demos...
    • Scott Jones wrote:

Don't worry about bringing a seemingly "dead" thread back to life... It's always good to see additions to some of the great info offered here by fans...

I've never heard about "The Sword", so I'll absolutely have to check them out!

I saw The Sword open for my favorite band Clutch last year. The Sword is strait forward rock. They're very good.

Scott Jones wrote:

I'm even now in the process of having one of my long-time players assisting me in getting my own game-theme music collection properly organized in preparation for some of the folks who have volunteered to use it for demos...

Cool! What's the playlist?