What is Rabishu?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is Rabishu?

I've yet to read over everything in the book, but unless it's in fluff text I've yet to encounter an explanation of where, who or what is Rabishu. Specifically, I want to play off of the crystals in the game, gaining inspiration from tales and illustrations like Dinotopia. In addition, does Dardunah have an official mechanic on all the types of crystals, where they're from, their limitations? That would be handy to know of too. If not, I have some ideas.

Anyone know? :)
    • RE: What is Rabishu?

Originally posted by kameetrei
      Dardunah have an official mechanic on all the types of crystals, where they're from, their limitations? That would be handy to know of too. If not, I have some ideas.
      Anyone know? :)

Like you, I have not read everything the book has to offer, yet! However; one awesome thing about Dardunah is that it's an open world, and both "creators" are relatively open to new concepts and ideas. I say, spit your ideas... who knows they may be better options to some then what (if any) is written. If there is nothing on them, you very well may be writing them when they are covered.

Happy Holidays,
      ToG

"Violence may not be the best option..... but it's still an option!"
    • Well, in comparison to the Illustrated books by James Gurney (specifically Dinotopia: The World Beneath) I was thinking it would be inventive if the red stones of Rabishu only worked if they, like solar energy, were powered by the sun. The stones would store the warmth/solar energy and generate light/heat for a certain amount of time. I was thinking the same thing with the floating sky crystals. In the game that I am going to run with some friends, they are the proprietors of a skyship tea house and tavern which travels the known world, and I wanted to create a mechanic that was realistic yet would limit the power potential of the crystals. This idea would make the rare blue stones of Rabishu more sought after, because they would glow without the light of the sun (referenced from the new Mini-Adventure).

In my head, I placed red stones of Rabishu primarily being from the red deserts of Amnol Amin, where the red sand would be small fragments of the stones itself, too small to use, but where it would be much hotter because of the heat produced by all of the shards. At this point, I think of the high-towered cities described by Robert E. Howard with glowing, jeweled tops, and places like Stygia. I am excited to play a Quest for Glory 2-style desert city with labyrinthine city streets and vast bazaars.

Lots of ideas, but I always appreciate and love 'canon' created for things, and if there IS already a mechanic in place, I would try and stick with it.

Hence I will see if others have an idea as to the source. :)
    • Stones of Rabishu

Your idea sounds great, Kameetrei. I say go with that. Scott will likely respond to this post as he knows more about the Stones of Rabishu than I do. But I dig the idea of the red stones being charged up (like batteries) by the suns and then having their glow and warmth slowly fade the longer they were kept from the light of the suns (they could be recharged by exposure to the suns' light naturally).

Also, the idea of a Stygia-like city in the red deserts is also a great idea. Many of the cities in Amnol are like this, especially the capital of Amnol which is known for its vast bazaars.

When you start your campaign, please share the details of it with us on the Forums. We love hearing about other people's Shard campaigns.

-Aaron
    • RE: What is Rabishu?

Hey there kameetrei!!!

We do indeed have a pretty comprehensive list of many of the rare crystals that exist on Dárdünah,...we just haven't published them yet... Currently they are a part of the unedited and as of yet unpublished World Guide, though several of the world's crystals are briefly mentioned in the Glossary of the Basic Compendium, and peppered through the rest of the books as well, here and there.

We mention stones of Rabíshu throughout the fiction fairly often, and in several of the adventure scenarios, so as an extra holiday tidbit allow me to throw you some art and information about them! Attached to this post is a single-page PDF detailing the essentials of both known varieties of Rabíshu Stone...

As Tides of Gore stated,...any details that you still feel need fleshing out for your own campaign, feel free to create to your heart's content... After all, we encourage GMs to "make it their own" when it comes to how they wish to run their world...

Enjoy!

Scottie ^^
      Files
    • Originally posted by kameetrei
      Thank you very much for the additional info! I look forward to the future release of the World Guide, although I know it will be a while... :P That sort of stuff has always been my cup of tea.

I'll be sure to post on the forums how my ideas go once I get my campaign going.

Happy Holidays!

You're very welcome kameetrei!

Personally,...I really can't wait till we can offer the World Guide,...there're just so many juicy tidbits of fiction that I want folks to get their hands on... It'll be exciting to see how folks use them in their games...

Like Aaron said,...your ideas sound great! I can already imagine the priests singing their prayers at False Dawn while invoking the powers of the rising suns as they lay out the mighty braziers full of dim, ruddy Rabíshu stones... Their cries merge into a resonating hum as the first light of amber sun Lokáynü strikes the reddish stones, returning the energies that have slowly faded throughout the night...

Fun stuff!

Have a great holiday season!

Scottie ^^
    • Ohhh! You mean the source of the name "Rabíshu" itself!

So sorry for my confusion...

Though the exact truth may be forever lost in the haze of antiquity, Rabíshu may very well have been the name of the first jánah who discovered and truly exploited the properties of these stones during the "Age of Splendor"...

These stones have born that name since before true recorded history began, and since so much lore (or at least the true origins of such lore) was lost during the "Thousand Years of Darkness", many things might forever remain a mystery...

Scottie ^^