Advice for a first-time GM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Advice for a first-time GM

Hello to all!

I thought I'd start a post and hear others advice on running a campaign, from getting the players engaged to offering appropriate challenges. I have been taking my time getting to know the Shard RPG system, and the campaign style I plan to start with is very trade caste oriented. I am sure combat will come into play later down the road, as well.

What I have started with so far is a document that describes the description of the starting city or area for what will be my first game session, details about what temples and such are in prominence, influential Lines and Houses, and the ruling class of the country/dynasty/etc. I am also including the location of Trade Districts as part of the description of the location, since I suspect these locations will be frequented often by the players.

I've yet to get this far, but beyond that point I will probably include a 'mission' guideline that I will have written for the players that night. I find that I cannot remember a ton of info in my head, and so I write it down to make sure I don't forget it. I know that there will always be the unexpected, and I am ready and as prepared as I'll ever be for performing plots on the fly!

Lots of ideas...! I am sure there's more!

I am glad to receive any recommendations or advice you may have, as a GM or as a player! The more the merrier. :)
    • RE: Advice for a first-time GM

That all sounds great, kameetrei. It sounds like you've got a great campaign shaping up.

I'd add a list of major NPCs, prominent individuals that the PCs would likely interact with on a regular basis. These NPCs could include:

City officials they might have to interact with as traders or merchants. Examples could include magistrates who grant various permits they might need as traders, or city guards who patrol their areas and keep them safe from criminals and thieves, or even clerks who help record the goods that come and go.

Caravan masters who are in charge of transporting goods to and from the city. Other members of the caravan would also be helpful to know, such as hired warriors who serve security, suthra handlers who take care of the various riding beasts that the caravan employs.

Wandering monks and priests would also be good, mangai that travel to remote areas, bringing the word of the devah to the unenlightened would be appropriate. Especially if those monks had shady or mysterious pasts (former assassins now wanting to repent?).

A troupe of entertainers that works in the bazaar is always fun. These could be a colorful group of acrobats or jugglers or puppeteers. They could also be a famous band of thieves who disguise themselves as performers. And don't forget courtesans (think the Companions from "Firefly") or popular musicians.

Explorers who are studying various aspects of the city or who wish to take caravans out to lost temples or ancient ruins can be great fun. Think of the intrepid Victorian explorers of the late 1800s. These guys were part adventurer and part scholar.

A group of beggars that frequents the bazaar area, including their leaders. Beggars in ancient cities often belonged to vast, very well organized guilds and could produce an amazing amount of wealth. Is there an Isvar of the Beggars? If not, there should be.

And of course underworld figures that prey off the merchants. What gangs try to extort money from the tradesmen and in what ways? These could be very colorful as well, everything from fairly jovial thieves to vicious ganglords who try and keep tight control over their turfs.

These are the individuals that will make your Dardunah game very memorable.

Hope that helps! :)

-Aaron
    • RE: Advice for a first-time GM

Writing down info you might forget is ALWAYS a great idea!

Just as Aaron described, having a useful list of the most prominent NPCs the characters will interact with is really wise, and will totally make your job easier...

Additionally, I always create a story outline that highlights the major scenes that I intend to present to the players, along with a variety of potential "off-shoot" possibilities that address decisions that characters might make that could change the plot-line to some extent...

Later, after each game, I usually end up going back and polishing up the game's outline so that it details all the stuff as it happened that night of play, so that the players and I have reference for all the historical moments that they might want to remind themselves of later... You'd be surprised how useful it is to be able to look back and see exactly what happened in the game on any particular adventure...

Good luck with your campaign!

Scottie ^^