Crystal Effects & Weapon Crafting

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Crystal Effects & Weapon Crafting

I wondered if there was types of crystals that would influence weapon building in more subtle ways than making them more durable or endowing them with special damage.

For instance, I could imagine that the right ammount of floating crystals could turn any heavy weapon into a light weight.

Does the original lore feature any other types of shards that "bend" the laws of physics? For instance crystals that create a gravitational pull (could be implanted in a vaylah barrel to stabilize the bullet and increase it's velocity), shards with curious optical properties (to be used as very effective lenses , or make weapon blades nearly invisible), ones that with very high/low friction (generally useful in creating effective machinery), etc?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Shard Effects & Weapon Crafting

All of the ideas you mentioned, Sherbie, are certainly possible through the use of various special crystals. We give you the basis of the world, the rest is up to you. Feel free to create whatever special types of crystals you wish and endow them with whatever properties you want.

Crystals used for lenses, to lighten and stabilize weapons, etc. are all wonderful ideas and ones I think you should definitely introduce into your game. Just figure out what game effect you'd want those crystals to have on the weapons (do they add Action Dice to a wielder's chance to hit, do they help the weapon do more damage, do they give bonuses to martial arts maneuvers, etc.) and apply them to the mechanics. It's really up to you.

Keep those ideas coming, we like 'em. :)
    • RE: Shard Effects & Weapon Crafting

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      All of the ideas you mentioned, Sherbie, are certainly possible through the use of various special crystals. We give you the basis of the world, the rest is up to you. Feel free to create whatever special types of crystals you wish and endow them with whatever properties you want.

I'll certainly keep thinking about this subject for a while. :)

Originally posted by Aaron de OriveCrystals used for lenses, to lighten and stabilize weapons, etc. are all wonderful ideas and ones I think you should definitely introduce into your game. Just figure out what game effect you'd want those crystals to have on the weapons (do they add Action Dice to a wielder's chance to hit, do they help the weapon do more damage, do they give bonuses to martial arts maneuvers, etc.) and apply them to the mechanics. It's really up to you.

Depends on the type of crystal and how it was introduced in the weapon design.

As for weapons generally, I think lightened weapons would allow players to wield bigger/heavier/longer (with an added range or damage bonus?) weapons, to do harder maneuvers easier (Agility/Dexterity Bonus?), etc. With certain limitations however (still deciding on how to introduce those). For instance lighter firearms would be less accurate and have more recoil. So a fumbled shot with a lightened high caliber weapon could easily lead to injuries, like the butt of your weapon breaking your collarbone. Lightened melee weapons could only block weapons of their weight category without problems (more tragic block fumbles, maybe pentalties in really hard situations).

Weapons built with high quality materials such as low-friction/increased hardness/etc crystals would usually be more failsafe, making weapon related fumbles less tragic, decreasing their loading time (?), increasing their range, et cetera.

I'd figure that when using firearms or bows, I'd factor the range from which they shoot by a dice penalty (I don't have the compendium before me, but I think that's a standard rule anyhow).
      When their weapon is equipped with some special optical device, up to a certain range less or no penalties would be given.

I'd have to think about giving them bonus dice of they use those devices at normal ranges though, if I allowed my players to have such devices it'd be more interesting to see them trying to play out the maximum range in fights (sniping :O).

Originally posted by Aaron de OriveKeep those ideas coming, we like 'em. :)

Thank you :3

I made another thread with ideas on how crystals types could shape the landscapes of Dardunah. :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Glass Armor

Originally posted by iceage
      Very expensive and rare these suits provide decent armor but that is not their primary asset. Anyone wearing such a suit has the ability to bend light around them providing very effective invsibility especially in dark and shadowy areas.

Good idea, I can imagine that these types of suits are so unbelievably expensive due to their material and complexity that you would only be able to aquire one by very adventourous means. For instance by sneaking into a monarchs secret weapon chamber.

And you'd still create sounds/a smell which have to dealt with Hearing/Smell Perception Checks.

And honestly I'd say that invisibility like that should come at a price. So the armor might absorb damage, but damage slowly wears down the complex lense systems inside, decreasing your bonus until you have it repaired.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Glass Armor

Sorry for the thread necromancy but...
      Wouldn't/couldn't even different types of crystals grant a subtle advantage over different kinds of preternatural foes.

For example let's say we are going after a demon. Some traditions would say a jade weapon, if I asked an Apache they would say Onyx or Obsidian. If I wanted an armor that could help protect me from evil magic again I would use this sort of stone worked into it.

Preternatural creatures usually have a weak point and having these banes may grant protection or allow an advantage combat such as stripping a demon of it's eldritch power, or weaning the bloodlust of a vengeful dead spirit.
      If it comes down to the rules or the story; sorry but the rule book just became a paper-weight.
    • On that idea Heretic, maybe say....a crystal that acts as a natural vessel for Prana, glowing a bright gold energetically and sporadically, as if it were just as alive as the Prana's existence allows other things to be. As a focus for this essential soul energy, it's touch causes physical demons great pain and may even force them back to Narakah where they belong.

Maybe adding action dice onto attacks against demons, and upon a great success, may banish them completely..

Or atleast, that seems like a reasonable idea to me.
      ~Ig
    • Going back to the Jade/Obsidian thing. To the Apache Obsidian absorbed any evil energy it came into contact with, storeing it and slowly converting it to good energy (Parana?). Thus a weapon made of this type of crystal might for example be able to cut threw a magic ward/barrier/protection that the Demon raises or uses. Or even weaken it causing it to loose action dice for that round every time it is struck.
      If it comes down to the rules or the story; sorry but the rule book just became a paper-weight.
    • Originally posted by HereticalGM
      Sorry for the thread necromancy but...

Thread necromancy is cool if you have something to add to the topic. :)

Originally posted by HereticalGM
      Wouldn't/couldn't even different types of crystals grant a subtle advantage over different kinds of preternatural foes.

Well, I can imagine that a weapon engraved with holy scriptures, or endowed with celestial magic could have a similar effect.
      But I also like the idea of certain materials being effective against certain supernatural beasties or eldritch forces.
      I'm thinking something like this:

Shigur Akasiyah - Crystals of the Celestial Brim
      Beyond a thick veil of dark and stormy clouds, ranking up into the peaceful azure heights of the celestial heavens stands the jagged and glittering tip of a crystalline behemoth, Mount Shigur. Being the highest recorded mountain of them all, constantly brushing up against the very brim of heaven, legends tell of the peculiar heavenly magical qualities of it's crystal.
      The Shigur Akasiyah is a rare type of crystal infused with traces of celestial purity. Said to be mined only from the highest of peaks such as the tip of Mount Shigur, this crystal offers fortitude and protection against unholy presences and maleficent powers.

Mind that demons will do all in their might to decimize the deposits of these crystals with foresight towards future endeavours.
      Thus these sources will properly be well guarded and the crystals hard to obtain (much like Sittám stones, see Basic Compendium Page 318 ).

Originally posted by Ignus
      On that idea Heretic, maybe say....a crystal that acts as a natural vessel
      for Prana

At least in my sessions, I described Sittám stones (don't
      take my word for it, the Compendium just states that they aid ritual magic) as "great conductors of magic".
      So by my logic, a weapon made from Sittám crystal could conduct your Pranah towards a struck demon.

Going back to the Jade/Obsidian thing. To the Apache Obsidian absorbed any evil energy it came into contact with, storeing it and slowly converting it to good energy (Parana?). Thus a weapon made of this type of crystal might for example be able to cut threw a magic ward/barrier/protection that the Demon raises or uses. Or even weaken it causing it to loose action dice for that round every time it is struck.

Poor demons man, give them a break, hehe. ;)

I find the idea interesting, but in order to keep players from building their own demonkiller tank out of the stuff I'd keep it very, very limited and rare.

Think for instance:
      For saving a mighty Isvar from certain doom, he presents you with one of the most finely built weapons you have ever layed your eyes upon: The Akasiyah Kris
      A small, ornate dagger inside a cushioned reliquary, it's wafer thin, razorsharp edge crafted from a mysterious and rare crystal, attributed with the power to sever demonic limbs and spells like butter. He warns you to treat it with care, as the delicate dagger might easily shatter.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().

• Originally posted by Sherbie
      Going back to the Jade/Obsidian thing. To the Apache Obsidian absorbed any evil energy it came into contact with, storeing it and slowly converting it to good energy (Parana?). Thus a weapon made of this type of crystal might for example be able to cut threw a magic ward/barrier/protection that the Demon raises or uses. Or even weaken it causing it to loose action dice for that round every time it is struck.

Poor demons man, give them a break, hehe. ;)

I find the idea interesting, but in order to keep players from building their own demonkiller tank out of the stuff I'd keep it very, very limited and rare.

Think for instance:
      For saving a mighty Isvar from certain doom, he presents you with one of the most finely built weapons you have ever layed your eyes upon: The Akasiyah Kris
      A small, ornate dagger inside a cushioned reliquary, it's wafer thin, razorsharp edge crafted from a mysterious and rare crystal, attributed with the power to sever demonic limbs and spells like butter. He warns you to treat it with care, as the delicate dagger might easily shatter.

I agree the material should be extreemly rare, mineable only for certian locations and even then have them hard to get at or needing a legandary hero to go obtain them. For example an agent of a Devah may stand gaurd over the deposit to keep demons away but due to it's limited supply Only offers it to mortals who can best him in a challenge and have proven their worth as enemies of darkness.

Or let us say we go with the apatche theme a bit more and the crystals are found only on at a place where something big happened, something legandary or tragic on a scale that it would move the hearts of the Devah to tears. A site where the men left for war leaving the women and their daughters, and their young sons behind. None of the men or boys old enough to weild a weapon returned from that battle. and the women weapt all gathered in one spot, and their tears soaked the earth and the devah blessed that spot for their sake, causing their tears to grow into blessed crystals.

I sadly need to brush up on my Middle east to far east mythology. I know more about the mythologies of the American Indians than people from India. (Hence the reason I kept referancing the Apatche).

The post was edited 1 time, last by HereticalGM ().

• Originally posted by HereticalGM

Quite personally I think this would be more like using the right tools for he job. When not using the right tools characters would probably get a penalty to their skill rolls.

I would love to see how you would handle this in a game.
      "One without crystal is without life"
    • The Projector

In my first Dardunah gaming session I used a device built with a series of crystal lenses. It could project images that were engraved into other crystals. It should be noted that this device was large and fragile.

Now with the proper alignment of the crystals this projector could be used to generate a laser like beam. This device was originally going to be used to assassinate an ambassador.
      "One without crystal is without life"
    • RE: The Projector

Originally posted by iceageNow with the proper alignment of the crystals this projector could be used to generate a laser like beam.

That's clever, hehe! ;)
      I can imagine a lot of uses for such a device. xD

I think my players already joked about trying to build such a device, but it being heavy, stationary and fragile is a good thing!
      That inspired me to add some riddles to future games, maybe. :3