Crystal Types & Their Effects on the Landscape & Story

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Crystal Types & Their Effects on the Landscape & Story

I remembered that someone on the forums mentioned that in areas with high floating sky crystal concentrations, sometimes there can be free floating rocks or entire mountains. I really like the way this mysterious material shapes the landscapes of Dardunah, and thought of some other ideas how in areas with high concentrations of certain crystals that bend the laws of physics, the landscape could look rather curious as well.

Some ideas for crystal types we already know of:

Rabíshu Crystals
      Two types: Blue and Fiery Red

Example (Blue or low concentration of Red):
      For instance imagine a clammy dark forest with tight foilage and small surface deposits of these light emitting crystals. The crystals would be the light source to many smaller plants that would otherwise perish on the dark forest ground... I could imagine that over time, they could even be encased in cocoons of plants reaching for the light source.

Example (High Concentration of Red):
      Originally posted by iceage
      In the highest slopes of the Kantara Mountains of Kutta legends exist of the city of Perun. It is said that here on the highest slopes this city survived without the people ever having to worrry about the cold.

Perun it seems was built on top of a vast cache of heat producing crystals. This is why it is the city of the Frozen Sun.

I could imagine that many travellers come to try to mine their crystals, but they disapprove of those outsiders since the loss of these crystals would mean the fall of their city/fortress! So they fight against who wants to steal their source of life, using heat crystal maces to sear their enemies and heat crystal catapults in attempt to ignite the enemy camps.
      They also use the heat from very hot heat crystals to quickly cauterize their own wounds.

It would be interesting if the ground in some places of this city was really hot, so everyone would have to wear high wooden sandals to not burn their feet.

Sittám Stones
      Crystals with thaumaturgic effects that manipulate the magical plane as well, increase or decrease it's flow. Depending on the concentration of these crystals it could add a difficulty to using magical powers, cause unease and even unconciousness in magic sensitive characters.
      Example Scenario 1:
      A character with a lot of magical potential grows up in a village that was built atop of a vein of magic reducing crystals, thus never realizes his potential until he ventures forth into the world.

Made-Up or Unconfirmed Crystal Types:

Gravitation-Bending Crystals
      Crystals that exert a high gravitational pull or push (don't negate gravity in a sense of floating sky crystals, but radiate an aura of gravity towards/away from them), I could imagine that in areas with high concentrations there'd be big holes and grand mountains in the landscape with areas where gravitation would be partly negated even, or even better:
      Example Scenario 1:
      Imagine a lake under which there's rich deposits of such a crystal: The water surface would form mountains and canyons, depending on the type of crystal!
      Example Scenario 2:
      Run in the mill "Walk on the walls", or "Antigravity" effect.

Heat Conductive/Absorbing Crystals
      I can imagine that there is certain crystals that conduct warmth incredibly well or even absorb it, which would lead to stark wastelands inside rich rain forests, even frosty, icy patches in deserts.

Time-Bending Crystals
      Crystals that manipulate the temporal flow. Some could speed up time, slow it down, create time-loops and pockets, or even stop time temporarily.
      Example Scenario 1:
      While traversing through a desert, players come upon an indestructible, impassible sphere of time-frozen air in which a piece of ancient rainforest is preserved, together with strange animals and falling rain, halted mid-air.

Shock Crystals
      Piezoelectrical crystals that react to pressure by emitting electricity.
      Stepping onto one can lead to a mild shock or a life threatening jolt.
      These useful crystals would be rather hard to mine, but prove to be very useful for weapon builders (especially for gunpowder ignition).
      Example Scenario 1:
      An area where there shock crystal deposits are slightly surfacing. Kind of like an electrical minefield. Getting through an area like this would require characters to advance carefully and try to not step on any

Memory Crystals
      Memory Crystals have the curious property that light, sound and magic influence can rearrange their structure, causing them to "remember" some of the impressions that they had. Some of them have the ability to "replay" these impressions. This could lead to beatiful illusions, scary sounds and other interesting scenarios. Those crystals can usually not be mined, as either the mining equipment usually destroys their fragile and sensitive structure, or the crystals simply record unpleasant sound and/or image of the mining process such as picks hacking away at them or shovels digging them out of the ground, or absorb the very simple thaumaturgic presence of a miner digging them out of the ground.
      Example Scenario 1:
      The players wander through a dark cave, and in one of the chambers there is suddendly a rich forest, unlike anything they have ever seen.
      They will realize that this is only the image of the forest being replayed by countless crystals in that cave.
      Example Scenario 2:
      The players wander through a wasteland, when they suddendly hear the crack of rifles being fired, warcries, the boom of cannons and the clanging and ringing of crystal swords. It turns out that this turf has once been a bloody battlefield, and the memory crystals in the ground keep repeating the sound that this gruel scenario has created.
      Example Scenario 3:
      Some memory crystals could memorize a soul of which it had felt the resonance. This could lead to magic characters to feel the presence of a soul nearby, a well preserved soul memory could maybe even be interacted with on the dream plane.
      Example Scenario 4:
      A vile sorceror using tiny pieces of memory stone that has memorized a soul to endow objects such as statues or lifless bodies with an unholy life force.

Catalysator Crystals
      These Crystals have the ability to alter other substances without getting depleted themselves. This could lead to strange gases emanating from the ground, or a curious sediment around crystal deposits (these crystals are especially interesting to alchemists).

There could be some areas where crystals have partial negative effects, like having traces of radioactive, toxic material, or just two kinds of crystal mixed in a slightly unfortunate way.
      This would make them cheaper than "pure" crystals, ergo an alternative to simply low quality crystals with another drawback.

Blood Crystals
      Long have Janah scholars speculated about the miraculous powers that this rare type of crystal inherits. A strange pulsing emanates from it's very structure which is said to have an effect on regenerative functions and can allegedly only be measured by the most peculiar types of lab apparatuses.
      Function:
      Has to maintain skin contact to work, effectivity depends on quality, size and magical treatment.
      During Battle: Subtracts a number of Successes off an "Internal Damage" effect (depending on quality).
      After Battle: (if received more than half Fatal damage): Significantly slows down bleeding out process, players don't die at -10 but at -15/-20/... (depending on quality).

Repulsor Crystals
      Nihua-Hi crystals- These variety of crystal is called the repulsor crystal. There are several types and each one repulses something. This has the effect of pushing objects away from the crystal.

They could each oscillate with a certain frequency creating sounds that have certain effects on these elements!

Blue Crystals - Repulse water
      Emits a certain frequency that can be heard only slightly by the best of ears. When coming near water it dramastically increases surface tension, turning the water into a jello-like mass that can be threaded over lightly and fast.
      Red Crystals - Repulse fire
      Create a low hum that can be felt inside your bones. This certain frequency has a retartdant effect on fire as it alters the heat flow inside it.
      Green Crystals- Repulse Vegetation
      Booms with the lowest of all frequencies, blowing air away from it like a subwoofer, pushing plant life constantly away from it.
      Brown Crystals- Repulse Suthra
      They could oscillate with a high pitched sound that only suthra can hear, and induces great discomfort.

The post was edited 15 times, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Crystal Effects on the Landscape

Yes, yes, yes indeed!

All the ideas you are putting forth are quite wonderful,...and some of them are already in effect in my game even now that I run... (great minds think alike, apparently)

Several of the concepts you mention are even dealt with already,...mentioned briefly in the Glossary of the main book, in one or two of our downloadable adventures (such as the Mine Inspection), or will be included as a special section in the upcoming World Guide which has a whole chapter devoted to cool Dárdüni crystals and stones...

In fact, if we see lots of additional cool ideas for such crystals appear here on the forums, we may ask permission to emulate them to include in that future release!

Great stuff!

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Crystal Effects on the Landscape

Originally posted by Scott Jones
      All the ideas you are putting forth are quite wonderful,...and some of them are already in effect in my game even now that I run... (great minds think alike, apparently)

Creative five! *high fives* B)
      I'm thinking about introducing some of those crystals and resulting exotic landscapes to my campaign, ranging from crystal deposits with can be relatively harmless and beautiful, to extremely dangerous types which act as a hazard and obstacle.

Several of the concepts you mention are even dealt with already,...mentioned briefly in the Glossary of the main book, in one or two of our downloadable adventures (such as the Mine Inspection), or will be included as a special section in the upcoming World Guide which has a whole chapter devoted to cool Dárdüni crystals and stones...

Oooh, yeah I just had a look, I guess those ideas were old news. ;)
      I will list those as crystals that already officially exist, if I forgot any please tell me. :3

In fact, if we see lots of additional cool ideas for such crystals appear here on the forums, we may ask permission to emulate them to include in that future release!

Great stuff!

Thanks! I'll keep on brainstorming. :)
      In fact I think I'll update the thread now.
      (Updated again)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Time Crystals

I'm going to steal those temporal crystals. I have a use for them already.

Go ahead, that's what I write that stuff up for. ;)

Originally posted by iceageBlood Crystals - These rumored to exist crystals cause one who carries them to not bleed to death from wounds.

That's a nice idea. :)
      Personally I'd work in some kind of drawback, or define their role more closely, maybe add in some story stuff :)
      May I have a try? :D

Blood Crystals
      Long have Janah scholars speculated about the miraculous powers that this rare type of crystal inherits. A strange pulsing emanates from it's very structure which is said to have an effect on regenerative functions and can allegedly only be measured by the most peculiar types of lab apparatuses.
      Function:
      Has to maintain skin contact to work, effectivity depends on quality, size and magical treatment.
      During Battle: Subtracts a number of Successes off an "Internal Damage" effect (depending on quality).
      After Battle: (if received more than half Fatal damage): Significantly slows down bleeding out process, players don't die at -10 but at -15/-20/... (depending on quality).

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      Sherbie's on a roll! :)

<3

Used Memory Crystals in my campaign by the way, and the effect was pretty fun. The players went through a tunnel decked with those crystals creating the illusion of an ancient forest that stood there before the mountain had formed. They watched the faux-forest tentitavely for a while, until a big creature strolled their way. Waiting no second they readied for battle, I pretended to roll the monsters initiative and action dice, etc. Then the first guy landed a spectacular shot with a sweet roleplaying description that gave him +3 dice, shot the image of the creature head-on, shattering the image before them into many little pieces.
      Suddendly they heard the creature behind them appearing on the other cave wall as it ran on back into the depths of the forest. Because it was such a spectacular shot I was generous with the crystals, so there was enough crystals scattered around the cave ground for everyone, with many of them still intact (letting you peer into the forest like a small window) Of course all of the PCs and NPCs picked up as many crystal pieces as they could. :D
      I'm eager to see what they will do with them!

Meanwhile I had some more ideas, will post them up when I haz time. :D

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().

That "memory crystal" forest thing is a totally fun idea!

Scottie ^^

Thanks, it was even more amusing due to the fact that Serpentus who is in my group read this thread and I listed this idea in the opening post, he didn't realize what this cave was all about up until those crystals got shattered :D

I'm sure they could be a handy plot tool too in other situations.
    • Of course naturally found memory crystals might be used by dreamwalkes to leave messages for other people.

The Archive of Hisra
      Scholars tell us that once there was a great library that wrote all their books to crystal. Some say that these were paper think crystals engraved with images while others claim that these were crystals that could hold the memories of real books
      "One without crystal is without life"
    • RE: Crystals

Of course naturally found memory crystals might be used by dreamwalkes to leave messages for other people.

Generally they'd be hard to control and unpredictable and how one goes about clearing a crystal from memories or activates their power remains a mystery (I figured their overuse might have an adverse effect on the game world). Maybe there is some sirhibasi who have found a way to leave their essencous imprint, bearing a message, or someone who travels by just gets observed, copied and conserved against their will while passing the area.

So your players might traverse an area filled with essence-memorizing crystals and feel as if they are not alone, in fact surrounded by unknown presences. So they decide to hold a dreamwalking ritual and find themselves inside a huge crowd of ghostly images stuck in a position, or looping in movement, etc. If the recorded individuals were just mere commoners or had an underwhelming essencous presence, their image might be just lifeless accumulations of dreams that your players can explore for clues. Radiant, powerful essencous presences might be preserved even better, up to forming an entirely new entity equipped with abilities and motives, maybe even self awareness.

Originally posted by iceageThe Archive of Hisra
      Scholars tell us that once there was a great library that wrote all their books to crystal. Some say that these were paper think crystals engraved with images while others claim that these were crystals that could hold the memories of real books

I like that idea. Some old house or civilization might have unlocked their secrets and used them to chronicle their rise and fall, then taken the secret to their graves. :D
    • The Frozen Sun

In the highest slopes of the Kantara Mountains of Kutta legends exist of the city of Perun. It is said that here on the highest slopes this city survived without the people ever having to worrry about the cold.

Perun it seems was built on top of a vast cache of heat producing crystals. This is why it is the city of the Frozen Sun.
    • RE: The Frozen Sun

Awesome idea :D I could imagine that many travellers come to try to mine their crystals, but they disapprove of those outsiders since the loss of these crystals would mean the fall of their city/fortress! So they fight against who wants to steal their source of life, using heat crystal maces to sear their enemies and heat crystal catapults in attempt to ignite the enemy camps.
      They also use the heat from very hot heat crystals to quickly cauterize their own wounds.

It would be interesting if the ground in some places of this city was really hot, so everyone would have to wear high wooden sandals to not burn their feet.
    • Nihua-Hi crystals- These variety of crystal is called the repulsor crystal. There are several types and each one repulses something. This has the effect of pushing objects away from the crystal.

Scenario 1
      The player characters are chasing an enemy and have him trapped at the banks of a large lake. Suddenly he turns around runs across the surface of the lake escaping from the wide eyed pcs who are stunned by this impossible feat
      His boots are lined with blue Nihua-Hi crystals repelling him from the waters surface.

Scenario 2
      The Pcs enter a section of forest where all the trees and plants are twisted in wierd and unusual ways. All seem to be twisted in different directions with no clue to how they got that way.
      Apparently the ground is and nearby hills are lined or covered with green Nihua-Hi crystals pushing the vegetation away from them.

Scenario 3
      In the valley of Cairun monstrous Suthra are attacking the citizens. They have come up with a unique defense but need the PCs to help them secure it.
      The plan on lining the entrance to their valley with brown Nihua-Hi crystals. With enough of these crystals they should be able to keep these monstrous suthra from entering the valley.
    • RE: repulsors

Nihua-Hi crystals- These variety of crystal is called the repulsor crystal. There are several types and each one repulses something. This has the effect of pushing objects away from the crystal.

They could each oscillate with a certain frequency creating sounds that have certain effects on these elements!

Emits a certain frequency that can be heard only slightly by the best of ears. When coming near water it dramastically increases surface tension, turning the water into a jello-like mass that can be threaded over lightly and fast.
      Create a low hum that can be felt inside your bones. This certain frequency has a retartdant effect on fire as it alters the heat flow inside it.
      Booms with the lowest of all frequencies, blowing air away from it like a subwoofer, pushing plant life constantly away from it.
      They could oscillate with a high pitched sound that only suthra can hear, and induces great discomfort.

Originally posted by Sherbie

Heh!!! You guys are crazy-awesome with your crystal-creatin' bad selves!

It's fun to watch the creativity flow!

Scottie ^^

Heh!!! You guys are crazy-awesome with your crystal-creatin' bad selves!

It's fun to watch the creativity flow!

Scottie ^^

Creativity is how cool kids have fun! :D

Edit: Updated the first post with the stuff we posted, tell me if I missed anything!

Gonna post some new ideas later too.

• Singing Stones of Sethrü
      It's largely cliche, but I can imagine crystals that work similarly to Repulsor Crystals and emit hearable frequencies.
      That way they could create an eerie and beautiful soundscape in dark caves, meditation chambers and the more uncomfortable sounding ones could even be used as torture devices. c~c

• Singing Crystals (insert cool Dardunah name here)

Frosty and opaque like mica shot through with irridescent purple veins. Amplify sound through some unknown process. When tuned to the wielder's voice, the crystal's singing effect is activated causing devastating damage to the target as the stone disrupts and scrambles flesh and bone.

When fashioned into a melee weapon, the wielder may spend a Combat Action to make Perform (Singing) rolls to compliment the Melee/Martial Arts attack.

>>ReaperWolf
    • Unbreakable Cütara
      Dárdünah is a sundered, shattered sphere. But despite this fact, it is being held together by what must be an unbelievably mighty, unearthly force.
      Some geologist theorize about a material dwelling around the lower regions of the sphere that is somehow impervious to those forces.
      There are indeed legends about a type of material just like this, said to be the stone that forms the gates and barrier to the swirling underworld of Narákah. This is why some call this stone "Hellflint".

Anchor Stones
      Quite the opposite of Sky Crystals, these dark stones with a rainbow colored glint can be made to weigh many times their own weight when heated.
      This effect had been discovered as a poor craftswoman used a bunch of these stones to carve a set of beautiful teacups for her lord... who received quite the surprise when he couldn't lift his cup.

Originally posted by ReaperWolf
      When fashioned into a melee weapon, the wielder may spend a Combat Action to make Perform (Singing) rolls to compliment the Melee/Martial Arts attack.

Heh, this could be some special kind of memory crystal.

When the whole group has weapons like that, one guy sings and bam:
      The Bard for Shard was born! Increased Damage for everyone!