Shard Interactive PDF Character Sheet & Animal Template (Updated 30.9.2011)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: General Shard & GM Tools (Updated 15.7.2010)

Wow! Cool new version of the character sheet in version 14 Sherbie!!!

I love the dropdown list for the Talents and Animal Abilities, and the cost references for the Skills! Nice!

You may want to consider adding a "None (blank)" category, in case a player, during character creation, or later (if they lose an ability for some reason), decides to make one of the ones they have previously chosen (or accidentally chosen) go away completely... That way, there's a way to revert a slot back to completely blank...just in case...

Oh,...and on a quick side note, the words "HEIGHT" and WEIGHT" are misspelled in the general description area on the first page... If it would help, I'll be glad to go through the whole thing and do a quick spell-check for you... You've been busting these out so awesomely fast that I can understand a few mistakes slipping through the cracks from time-to-time... I could then send you back a private message with a version of the file with any spelling errors I find having been marked through with a pop-up notation showing the actual spelling...

Would that work for you?

Scottie ^^
    • RE: General Shard & GM Tools (Updated 15.7.2010)

Originally posted by Scott Jones
      Wow! Cool new version of the character sheet in version 14 Sherbie!!!

Once I figured out which fonts were used to make the sheet I went and redid it :D

I love the dropdown list for the Talents and Animal Abilities, and the cost references for the Skills! Nice!

Yeah I wondered why I didnt do that before... probably because I found a nice way to do it just recently (the dropdown menues, I was too lazy to add all costs to the skills until now)!

You may want to consider adding a "None (blank)" category, in case a player, during character creation, or later (if they lose an ability for some reason), decides to make one of the ones they have previously chosen (or accidentally chosen) go away completely... That way, there's a way to revert a slot back to completely blank...just in case...

You can just select what's in the slot an delete it like normal text. :D
      I guess a blank option works too!

Originally posted by Scott JonesOh,...and on a quick side note, the words "HEIGHT" and WEIGHT" are misspelled in the general description area on the first page...

Oh derp! My spellcheck is in german, so it doesnt really help. D:

Originally posted by Scott JonesIf it would help, I'll be glad to go through the whole thing and do a quick spell-check for you... You've been busting these out so awesomely fast that I can understand a few mistakes slipping through the cracks from time-to-time... I could then send you back a private message with a version of the file with any spelling errors I find having been marked through with a pop-up notation showing the actual spelling...

Would that work for you?

Sure thang! :3

I already spotted some mistakes myself, most of the time when I make these mistakes I just miss buttons when typing or my hand is positioned wrong so I write nonsense... c.c

And Heigth<>Height & Strength<>Strenght happens to me too often as well... srsly :P
    • Originally posted by Sherbie
      Added descriptions of what "Small, Medium, Large and Great" weapons could be, but I'm not 100% on if I am right (I know they would only apply to "normally" sized weapons... the quickinfo text clears it up, next version I'll deleted the (Dagger,...) stuff probably)! If yes, please give further suggestions!

I'd probably leave off the descriptions, simply because a small dagger for an Elephant would be a large weapon for someone the size of a mouse... As you mentioned, having descriptions of weapon types beside specific size categories that only apply to creatures that are around six feet tall might confuse folks... Someone playing a rhino might see that description and think that a dagger for them would be considered a Small category weapon, when, in fact, depending on their Strength, a dagger for them might be one or two categories higher than that...

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Scott Jones
      I'd probably leave off the descriptions, simply because a small dagger for an Elephant would be a large weapon for someone the size of a mouse... As you mentioned, having descriptions of weapon types beside specific size categories that only apply to creatures that are around six feet tall might confuse folks... Someone playing a rhino might see that description and think that a dagger for them would be considered a Small category weapon, when, in fact, depending on their Strength, a dagger for them might be one or two categories higher than that...

Yeah I deleted that part. When I made it I found it might have been a good reference, but your infotext explains it pretty good already!

Hmnnn... I tried doing that several times, but the sheet wouldn't let me... It just "dinged" at me to tell me I was doing something it didn't like...

Dinged? Ah yes, talents were not change-enabled. c~c
      Works with animal abilities though.

Fixed for 14.1! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• Originally posted by Ignus
      Does your auto-sheet calculate automatic skills? As in, the ones that automatically have points in them? I haven't actually looked into it, I was just wondering.

~Ignus

You mean Basic Starting Skills?

Currently doesn't, it only tells you that a skill is a Basic Starting Skill in the description!
      But it's a good idea. :)
      Might gonna add that!
      Originally posted by Ignus
      Does your auto-sheet calculate automatic skills? As in, the ones that automatically have points in them? I haven't actually looked into it, I was just wondering.

~Ignus

Currently doesn't, it only tells you that a skill is a Basic Starting Skill in the description!
      Might gonna add that!

These might be difficult only because they'd have to be automatically calculated based on the fact that they'd be equal to half the character's related Characteristic, or 3, whichever's LOWER... And this applies only if the player doesn't want to actually buy them at full ranking (or even half ranking) by spending points on them... If they DO spend points on them, those scores would need to stop calculating themselves at the "free" rate, and instead calculate the ranking based on the regular rules pertaining to Skill purchasing costs...

Scottie ^^
      Updated right to v15!

Changes:
      - Location Table Dropdown Menu to switch between tables
      - Fixed Dropdown menus so you can undo your selection
      - Some other minor stuff

Great work on the fixes and additions for this recent iteration of the Character Sheet Sherbie!

It looks like you also went back and fixed the wrap-around typing issues with all of the text fields, and made them all work in a consistent way (meaning you can just keep typing on all of them and they'll go automatically to the next line...)...

And I see what you did with the Maneuver Location Table by making it so that you can choose whether to display the skilled versus unskilled difficulty modifiers so that it's easy to see what you need to roll (without having to constantly remind yourself to take the additional -2 off if you're not skilled)... Hopefully you'll figure out what that odd bug is with having to choose it twice...

Great stuff!

Scottie ^^
    • It's actually easier than you'd think to do stuff like that in excel. For that specific situation, this is the equation I would personally use:

=IF(B2=0,IF(C2/2>3,3,C2/2),C2)

Where B2 is your points in the skill (or lack thereof) and C2 is the attribute linked to the skill.

This equation is saying if you have no points in the skill (B2=0), then continue to the next logic test. The second logic test is checking whether or not your attribute divided by 2 is greater than three. (C2/2>3). If so, the answer is 3. If not, put half of the attribute instead (C2/2). If you do have points in the skill, merely put what number the attribute is. (C2)

If the feature to auto-calculate basic skills is something you'd like to use, and this equation would work for that purpose please feel free to use it. :P

Hopefully I've helped someone somewhere :O

~Ignus

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ignus ().

• Originally posted by Scott Jones
      Originally posted by Sherbie
      Originally posted by Ignus

~Ignus

Might gonna add that!

These might be difficult only because they'd have to be automatically calculated based on the fact that they'd be equal to half the character's related Characteristic, or 3, whichever's LOWER... And this applies only if the player doesn't want to actually buy them at full ranking (or even half ranking) by spending points on them... If they DO spend points on them, those scores would need to stop calculating themselves at the "free" rate, and instead calculate the ranking based on the regular rules pertaining to Skill purchasing costs...

Scottie ^^

It might be difficult, but it surely isn't impossible. It sounds something similar to what I've been doing in Java programming lately. Just variables and if, else, and else if, stuff. I haven't taken a crack at PDF editing, so I don't know its capabilities. Ignus has done such an awesome job so far with this little program, I'm sure he can figure it all out. If I had the brain power to do so, I'd definitely try and throw in my two cents on how to go about it.

Instead, I'll just say: Holy cow. All of this is awesome! Great job Ignus and to anyone who has helped out with this in any way. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Of course, I didn't read Ignus's reply to the problem. It appears he already has it figured out!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ninjato ().

• Originally posted by Ignus
      It's actually easier than you'd think to do stuff like that in excel. For that specific situation, this is the equation I would personally use:

~~~

If the feature to auto-calculate basic skills is something you'd like to use, and this equation would work for that purpose please feel free to use it. :P

I'm not using Excel. ;I

I suppose you haven't actually looked at the sheet yet.

The sheet uses a javascript based programming language named formcalc.
      It's easy enough to use safe for some "special" (retarted) qualities it has and lots of missing functions... c~c

I already implemented the code for the next version either way.

Originally posted by Ninjato
      Ignus has done such an awesome job so far with this little program, I'm sure he can figure it all out.

:(

The post was edited 3 times, last by Sherbie ().

• Update 19.08.2010

EDIT Update:

Added the Smarttemplate v3!

Hah, yeah sorry about that Ignus/Sherbie. Sherbie, you're the one who should take all the credit for all that 'hey this is awesome' stuff. It was late, I needed sleep, and I was excited. Sorry. :]

Not all, others helped me to test this and suggest new features. ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Update 19.08.2010

Originally posted by Sherbie
      EDIT Update:

Added the Smarttemplate v3!

Hah, yeah sorry about that Ignus/Sherbie. Sherbie, you're the one who should take all the credit for all that 'hey this is awesome' stuff. It was late, I needed sleep, and I was excited. Sorry. :]

Not all, others helped me to test this and suggest new features. ;)

Speaking of that,...I just wanted to mention that this editable Animal Template is really a wonderful thing to use,...and Sherbie has done a fantastic job integrating the various features, adding helpful new ones, and fixing bugs as we've found them (sometimes so quickly that I've barely just sent the note mentioning it when it seems like he's already sent back a fix)...

And now, as a result of having this great tool, it will be easier to send these files back and forth between myself, Aaron, and Mulefoot so that we can each see (and alter as need be) a nearly-complete, fully editable version that leaves little to doubt as we finish these for our upcoming Magic and Martial Arts book... And it makes placing all the data in the final version quick and easy for me too! And all those great drop-down menus are sure going to make that particular process faster (and more consistently accurate) all around!

Thanks so much Sherbie!

By the way,...I was hoping you might do me a favor... Since there are a number of larger Zoics that actually end up having upper-end weight ranges of four digits, I'd love it if you could add room for a fourth digit on the PDF sheet for the Adult Weight Range... If you could,...that would be totally awesome!

Let me know if you can...

Thanks!

Scottie ^^