Van Ducksing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Van Ducksing

(this is both an exercise for myself to see if I got character creation rules right, and the implementation of a crazy idea I got while reading the book - what if Van Helsing (the cheesy movie character, not the Bram Stoker scholar character) had been a duck? Usually I don't transfer characters from one setting to the other but this is just for fun and will probably never be played...so here we go!)

Shajarah the wanderer (aka Van Ducksing out of game context)

Zoic: duck (waterfowl) 56 points
      Profession: demon hunter: 66

Strength 4 (max 7) - 2 points
      Vigor 4 (max 10) - 2 points
      Agility 6 (max 10) - 6 points
      Dexterity 4 (max 10) - 4 points
      Essence 3 (max 9) - 2 points
      Perception 5 (max 10) - 1 point
      Wit 3 (max 10) - 1 point
      Will 4 (max 10) - 2 points
      Presence 3 (max 10) - 1 point

Far Sight 5
      Flight 6
      Hold Breath 4
      Thermal Regulation 4
      Wide Peripheral 5

Combat Instinct: 1 (10 points)
      Direction Sense: 2 (5 points)

Influence (1 level, intimidating reputation) (5 points)
      Contact (Anole priest) (5 points)

Total amnesia (-6, Rarely) (-15 points)
      Personality Disorder (short-tempered, -1) (-3 points)

Acrobatics 6
      Firearms 4
      Fast Draw 4
      Firearm Combat 4
      Knowledge (ancient history) 3
      Knowledge (current history) 3
      Knowledge (demon lore) 3
      Knowledge (geography) 3
      Knowledge (legends) 3
      Knowledge (ritual lore) 3
      Knowledge (weapons) 3
      Knowledge (magic theory) 3
      Martial Arts 6
      Missile Combat 4
      Observation 5
      Survival 3
      Stealth 6
      Throw 4
      Trapping 3
      Profession (demon hunter) 3

Backstory: Shajarah's first memories have him awakening on the shores of a lake in Gilárhi. He was naked, hurt to an inch of death, and couldn't remember what had happened to this point. Luckily enough he was found by Linruh, an Anole hermit priest who lived nearby. While he was able to nurse the duck back to health, Linruh couldn't do anything about his memories, except feel the mark of a curse from Narákah. Having nothing but anger, Shajarah accepted Linruh's offer of training himself into the perfect demon hunting machine, adept in all weapons and lore. Linruh was part of a secret order from Gilárhi which had watched for the return of dark forces since the end of the Twilight Wars, and felt Shjarah was a boon from the Devah. This order spared no resource to get Shajarah the best training and equipment, and when he was ready he set upon himself to hunt through the world for any demons or dark sorcerer. Deep inside he still hopes to find the truth about himself, as many people told him he had a hint of Amnoli accent; but for now, he is happy to quench his anger in demon blood.
    • Awesome!

Based on what I can see (apparently you noted every point spent above and beyond what was spent on the specific Animal Template and Profession Template), the character looks GREAT!

I love the background history... Inspirational!

I'm betting he'll be exceptionally fun once you get the chance to play...

And, of course, the photo is hilarious!

Scottie ^^
    • Wit 3 (max 10) - 1 point

Most unholy and eldritch beasties can only be destroyed in a certain kind of way.

Being able to kill them goes along with having a LOT of knowledge about them (knowing is half the battle). So a hunter of the unnatural would probably have to read up on a lot of folks talkes, legends and such.

I'm not sure if Van Helsing himself was intelligent, I do doubt it a little. But he'd still have waaaaaaaaaaaaay more dice in some of those important knowledge skills (haha nerd talk).

Also:
      [Blocked Image: http://www.kabeleins.de/imperia/md/images/serien_shows/trick/_galerien/d/darkwing_duck/darkwing_duck_8_303_404_Disney.jpg]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• Originally posted by Daigotsu Max
      The movie character is mostly a slashbuckling/gunslinger hero who shoots at all kind of demons until he finds something that works. So Agility was more important here than Wits :)

Ah, well maybe the kind of person I was refering to could better be compared to Constantine.

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max
      Maybe like in the movie, he would need a nerdy/clumsy assistant for all the lorekeeping!
      That'd be cheeeeeesy xD
      Holy amberpot, Shajarah! Those crusty crystal corsairs are ridden by dastardly demons from beyond the grisly gates of Naràkah!

Originally posted by Daigotsu Max
      Also, yes, there is a bit of Darkwing Duck in here ;)
      Your duck definitely needs a cape!