Fortune telling?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fortune telling?

Okay, so I have a question about fortune telling. Specifically, fortune telling with the cards.

Yeah...I'm having a hard time believing that the peeps of Dardunah would use the same tarot cards or whatnot that we have (the hanged man, the fool, etc). Or that they'd have as many and the same process, now that I think about it.

So, that said, are there differences or am I just digging into this too deep?
    • There's a cardgame that is mentioned in the Shard Basic Compendium called "Devah's Doctrine" which has depictions of the different devah on each card.

I can imagine someone could do some fortune telling with that, with each Devah having a certain meaning.

You could also just imagine your own tarot-styled cardgame. :)

It could have cards like

"The Crystal Master", "The Cobbler", "The Scribe", "The Concubine", "The Summoner", "The Seasons", "The Dream"...

As for determining outcomes during a game, I found something handy recently: The Runecaster

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• A Shard specific tarot deck sounds awesome. And I like the suggestions that Sherbie gave for some sample ones. The Sarpah have a system similar to the I Ching system of fortune-telling, so this would be another system that gained popularity in the world. Many cultures use crystals casting to predict the future or the reading of tea leaves.

Unique to Dardunah would be the use of suthra to tell the future. These could consist of small beetle-like or ant-like critters in a bowl who would move around and arrange themselves into different patterns depending on where certain sugary liquids landed that were sprinkled in by the caster. A living fortune-telling device, naturally.

Reading up on fortune-telling methods used throughout the world, especially in Asia and the Middle East, would yield a treasure trove of methods that could be adapted to any Shard campaign. Have fun with it. :)
    • Ah, thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Mmm, I think I'll do my own deck and go from there. I have no doubt that I'd have a lot of fun doing that; I'll just need to put on extra polish for my imagination and art...

Hopefully it'll turn out well enough that I can show it off with confidence! ...or something like that. ^^

Aaron: Fortune telling by suthra? *scratches at imaginary beard* Interesting. Veeery interesting. I never thought of that before... and reading with crystals is a good idea as well. Hm. Anyway, I'll do that. I might as well abuse the internet and library when it's so close to me, right?

Sherbie: Wow, thanks! That'll be useful along with the other generators that Scott mentioned! You've gotten my imagination running with your help (and possibly made my life a little bit easier), so thanks once again!
    • Suthra Fortune Tellers

Personally I like the idea of Suthra Fortune telling devices.

Narda was said to be one of the greatest of Dream Walkers. His method now used by many was once unheard of. He placed his hands on a bowl of small suthra called imoni and entered his trance. As the Parana traveled through his body the imoni in the bowl began to spell out words. What visions were in the dream world was translated into words by the Imoni. A scribe often sat with Narda writing the prophecies. It is said that Narda created this technique after he lost his vision in an accident. It is unknown wether he could still see in the dream world or if he could not actually see in the dream world.
      "One without crystal is without life"