Remaining 2 Books?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey Joe!

Sadly, work on the Magic and Martial Arts book has slowed to a crawl since I had to take several different full-time gigs in the computer-gaming industry over the last year and a half to keep me in my home and to keep food on the table...

We have much of the work others were doing for us, are still waiting for some stuff that a few folks were donating their time to, and neither Aaron nor I have been able to contribute much of our time due to economic needs...

If I can build up another money buffer, then I'm going to once again try to take some time off to make more headway...

I recently had about a good month and a half of time to dig in once again between the last gig and the one I'm on now, but I didn't make nearly the progress I had hoped...

Hope springs eternal, though, and I haven't given up...

Please keep up good thoughts for us...

Scottie ^^
    • Hey there Ednoria!

Yes, indeed, Aaron and I have discussed the possibility of doing a Kickstarter project for our next book, just to drum up what it would take to get them printed and to essentially "pay" ourselves for the time it would take to finish it (since it would require me to stop working on contract projects to get it done)... But we haven't had the chance to work out the real costs at this time, since the printing process is really the biggest issue, plus the time away from actual paying jobs (contract or otherwise) that will be required from us to get it done...

As soon as I'm closer to getting the book itself to a near-state of completion and finalized editing, we'll actually be able to nail down when it could be sent to a printer, what printer we'd be using, what the final page-count will be, and thus get a proper quote for printing costs...

I wish this process were easier...

Scottie ^^
    • Honestly, Scott, I think you and Aaron have the right idea of doing things. You're making sure you produce a great product as well as not promising what you can't deliver. I think it's all very professional and above board.

The Magic/Martial arts book is the next on the docket, right? I'd assume the same cost as the main book and a print run of 1-2k (maybe I'm underestimating your popularity!), and then remember that kickstarter takes 20% (IIRC).

My guesd is you'd need somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k, which is probably really high for an RPG kickstarter. I will drum the hell out of it on my podcast though. We actually have talked about Shard (or at least mentioned it) in every single episode.

I'd be willing to invest a good chunk towards making new books a reality.
      -JFC Wolz
      HISTORIAN
    • You are a kind and generous man, Joe!

I'm trying to get myself back in the swing of things as we speak, and had a meeting recently with Aaron as we discussed the current "lull" in activity for us...

Hopefully as I ramp up back into running the game again, and get some of my former players to assist in running some local games too, we'll drum up some growing interest again... We'll coincide that with a lowering of the PDF price, see what it'll take to get the Magic and Martial Arts book to achieve completion, and perhaps we'll see it'll all come together...

Scottie ^^
    • If you start a Kickstarter, I'll do my best to raise awareness through my channels as well (Shard Groups, etc)!

One thing I could suggest, if there really is financial trouble with publishing the books, is to cut up the projects into smaller ones that you can easier tackle one-by-one?

I'm not sure how much income PDF sales are generating, but maybe publishing the books as PDFs at first, and releasing a phyiscal book with the help of the PDF sales could work?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().

• Yes, indeed, Aaron and I have talked about doing just that for this next book, and possibly having a separate Kickstarter (if allowed by that company) for both the PDF version (earlier), and the paper version (later), so that one might succeed even if the other doesn't do so well the first time...

Right now my biggest personal difficulty, though, and the biggest wall I must climb, is the difficulty I'm having taking time away from the contracts I'm working to give greater time and attention to what's left to do on the Magic and Martial Arts book... Most of what's left, at this point, falls on my plate, and isn't something I can easily throw someone else's way, with the exception of the editorial read-through Aaron will be doing once I finish the basic re-writes... The rest is all me (re-writes, Animal Template construction in Photoshop, art cleanup, final layout and read-through, Indexing)...

It's such a daunting task, and I'm able to scrape so little time out of each week to do it, that I often despair when I think too much about it as a whole, and remain sane only by focusing on it a little bit at a time, block-by-block...

Just keep up the good thoughts and well-wishes, and I'll keep doing my very best...

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Scott Jones
      Yes, indeed, Aaron and I have talked about doing just that for this next book, and possibly having a separate Kickstarter (if allowed by that company) for both the PDF version (earlier), and the paper version (later), so that one might succeed even if the other doesn't do so well the first time...

Even though it is nice to hold a physical book in your hands, this is probably a smart approach.
      I hope everything works smoothly. :)

Originally posted by Scott Jones
      Right now my biggest personal difficulty, though, and the biggest wall I must climb, is the difficulty I'm having taking time away from the contracts I'm working to give greater time and attention to what's left to do on the Magic and Martial Arts book... Most of what's left, at this point, falls on my plate, and isn't something I can easily throw someone else's way, with the exception of the editorial read-through Aaron will be doing once I finish the basic re-writes...

It must be a whole lot of work...

If there's anything we can help with, just say it. :)
      I'm sure we can help you, somehow.

The rest is all me (re-writes, Animal Template construction in Photoshop, art cleanup, final layout and read-through, Indexing)...

I noticed all the templates were pixel-images in the PDF version...
      If you really craft every single one in Photoshop that must be a heap of work, especially considering the sheer variation of species you introduce with every book!

There must be a way to automate this process to some degree (either via Photoshop, or Adobe Acrobat)... ó~ò
      I'll look into it as soon as I get back home.

It's such a daunting task, and I'm able to scrape so little time out of each week to do it, that I often despair when I think too much about it as a whole, and remain sane only by focusing on it a little bit at a time, block-by-block...

Don't despair! óuò
      We've got your back!

Just keep up the good thoughts and well-wishes, and I'll keep doing my very best...

Scottie ^^

You can be sure that we will. :)

Stay safe!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

Good thoughts and well-wishes coming your way, as always!

...Animal Template construction in Photoshop...

Regarding that, do you have a complete or partial list of the 60 new animal templates that you would be able to share here? Thanks.
    • Originally posted by Whill
      Regarding that (Animal Templates), do you have a complete or partial list of the 60 new animal templates that you would be able to share here? Thanks.

Sure Whill!

There's actually going to be 90 more of them!

I think I may have already listed them elsewhere,...but for those that are curious, and for those still cheering us on,...here's the full list of the in-progress Animal Templates planned for the upcoming Magic and Martial Arts book... (see attached PDF)

Scottie ^^
      Files
      Sure Whill!

There's actually going to be 90 more of them!

I think I may have already listed them elsewhere,...but for those that are curious, and for those still cheering us on,...here's the full list of the in-progress Animal Templates planned for the upcoming Magic and Martial Arts book... (see attached PDF)

Sorry if I missed the list elsewhere, and thank you for sharing!

It sounds like most of the artwork is already done. Could you perhaps also share a partial list of animal types that will be depicted in the book (aside from the 90 animal template animals)? Any more great apes, felines or birds of prey?
    • No problem! Glad you enjoyed the new list!

I'm not sure I understand your question, though...about animal types being "depicted"... There won't be any further templates beyond the 90 additional ones on the list...

Between those and the first 90 in the Basic Compendium, all 180 Animal Templates should cover the potential creation of birds of prey, cats of all sizes, and apes great and small...

Which ones were you wanting to see?

Scottie ^^
      I'm not sure I understand your question, though...about animal types being "depicted"... There won't be any further templates beyond the 90 additional ones on the list...

Between those and the first 90 in the Basic Compendium, all 180 Animal Templates should cover the potential creation of birds of prey, cats of all sizes, and apes great and small...

I agree that with the new templates you've got the world of tetrapoda pretty much covered. But my current question has nothing to do with character creation. Sorry to switch gears and not be more clear.

The main book has artwork throughout, not just in the animal templates. Won't the new book have any other artwork beyond the new template pictures? Won't there be any artwork depicting janah performing martial arts or magic? If so, what zoics wil be featured in that non-template artwork?

More great apes, felines and birds of prey. 8)
      Sorry to switch gears and not be more clear.

The main book has artwork throughout, not just in the animal templates. Won't the new book have any other artwork beyond the new template pictures? Won't there be any artwork depicting janah performing martial arts or magic? If so, what zoics wil be featured in that non-template artwork?

OH! I see what you are asking! Sorry for the confusion...

While I don't have an exhaustive list of new illustrations just yet, the Martial Arts section of this new book will include over 30 new illustrations of a variety of different Zoics in all sorts of martial action poses which you'll no-doubt enjoy, created by a few new artists, one of whom (Gaia's Angel) has been active on these forums!

Additionally, there will be quite a few new pieces of art to go along with the Magic section as well which, added to the new art for the templates, will hopefully give those folks who like the art of SHARD a veritable gallery of great new stuff to contemplate...

Scottie ^^

While I don't have an exhaustive list of new illustrations just yet, the Martial Arts section of this new book will include over 30 new illustrations of a variety of different Zoics in all sorts of martial action poses which you'll no-doubt enjoy, created by a few new artists, one of whom (Gaia's Angel) has been active on these forums!

Additionally, there will be quite a few new pieces of art to go along with the Magic section as well which, added to the new art for the templates, will hopefully give those folks who like the art of SHARD a veritable gallery of great new stuff to contemplate...

I love the art of Shard! So is the non-template art completed already, or is it not too late to put in requests for zoics to be depicted? I expect there to be a focus on the new character template zoics, but if possible, any new pictures of great apes, felines (of all types) and birds of prey (raptors and owls both) would extra awesome.

And let me make clear that regardless of what art is or isn't in the MaMA book, you have a guaranteed sale from me whenever it becomes available! :)
    • Originally posted by joewolz
      Honestly, Scott, I think you and Aaron have the right idea of doing things. You're making sure you produce a great product as well as not promising what you can't deliver. I think it's all very professional and above board.

The Magic/Martial arts book is the next on the docket, right? I'd assume the same cost as the main book and a print run of 1-2k (maybe I'm underestimating your popularity!), and then remember that kickstarter takes 20% (IIRC).

My guesd is you'd need somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k, which is probably really high for an RPG kickstarter. I will drum the hell out of it on my podcast though. We actually have talked about Shard (or at least mentioned it) in every single episode.

I'd be willing to invest a good chunk towards making new books a reality.

Joe speaks the truth about his podcast! I hooked my wife on it and now we are going to start a campaign for our group soon. We'll kick in a good amount for a Kickstarter and pitch the game like crazy!
      Hey guys! Just so ya know....

Now that my recent work contract is through, I'm making the "big decision" and going back to working on this sucker full-time again, so hopefully I'll get it done in the next 3-6 months...

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress, so wish me luck!

Scottie ^^

Great news for us! Good luck!