Snowy Peaks of Dárdünah

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Snowy Peaks of Dárdünah

(This post is still WIP, but I will regularly update it!)

Last year, while getting ready for the snowy holidays, I found myself glancing at the gorgeous map poster our all most favorite shard of Dárdünah on my wall (<3), when I noticed one thing foremost:

Browsing the list of climate types, I found no mention of tundras!
      And as I felt compelled to feature at least a little frosy icyness in my
      upcoming campaign to go along with the weather, I was in a pinch:
      With no frosty, freezing tundras on this shard, was I going to have to make up an entirely new one?

But I was far too lazy for that!

Should I have laid out an entire area with Nádar Crystals?
      Possible, but highly unlikely!

Instead, I settled for snowy mountaintops! More precisely, the Kantara mountain formation around Kütta (which seemed to be an overall cool and humid area).

Let me use this thread to collect all of the stuff I made up to fill those frosty peaks with (Creatures, Cities, Species).

If you have ideas, please go ahead and post! I'd be happy to see them!

Creatures
      Normal suthra might not survive the freezing cold, so new ones had to be introduced! Or at least existing ones had to be adjusted!

Himaburai (Snow Creepers)
      [Blocked Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Philot/Stuff/Shard/snowcreeper_fin.png]
      The Himaburai keeps it's protective fur hidden under it's outer carpace to easily glide under the snow's surface and deploys it in order to catch some snow on it's back, forming a clever disguise.

It is probably mostly due to the existence of these abominable beasts that many folk tales told in the frosty mountain dwellings of this world warn the young janah not to play in deep snow...

Complacent, the snow creepers patrol under cold layers of snow for days on end. Should the need arise to leave the safety of a snow patch, they will deploy the fur under their carapace and catch some snow, which attaches to their backs and disguises them as small heaps of snow.
      The males hunt alone, while the smaller females form dangerous, more tactical advanced packs.

Stamina: 6-18 levels
      Armor: 3 points
      Normal Action Dice:
      Standard Movement, Bite, Tracking Scent, Standard Sensory Rolls: 5

Special Actions:
      Disguise (in Snowy Areas): 7
      Stealth: 6
      Immunity: Cold

Hazit
      [Blocked Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Philot/Stuff/Shard/hazit-1.png]
      These little critters do not only visually resemble bunnies and crickets, but they also have a few other features in common.

The common Hazit is a peculiar little creature:
      It sits upright on two displaced, elongated limbs which despite their scrawny appearance pack enough power to propel the creature forward with dizzying speed, which combined with it's acute and sharp senses makes it hard-to-catch prey.
      To top it all off, this suthra is also known for it's high durability and ridiciolously fast reproductive cycle.
      A coat of thick hair covers this insect, making it resistant against cold, but unable to survive in warmer climates.

Stamina: 2-9 levels
      Armor: 0 points
      Normal Action Dice:
      Standard Movement, Bite, Great Leap, Standard Sensory Rolls: 3

Special Actions:
      Bounding: 5
      Sensing Vibrations: 4
      Immunity: Cold

Cities

Zejenshar
      -Still WIP-

The post was edited 9 times, last by Sherbie ().

• RE: Snowy Peaks of Dárdünah

Ha! Awesome!

And for those who are "icked-out" by cockroach rabbits,....think "cricket-bunnies" instead!

Yay!

Sherbie, you picked the perfect mountain range for some snowy-peaked action... Even further to the north, where the Kantara mountain range becomes the Dágubar Mountains, snow still falls during the winter months in the higher peaks, all the way up to the southern reaches of the Prasha mountains, near the northern mountainous spur at the upper borders of Ishpuria, where the superstitious Lorüh tribes dwell...

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Snowy Peaks of Dárdünah

Updated the original thread with a new creature: the snow creeper! :)

Originally posted by Scott Jones
      Ha! Awesome!

And for those who are "icked-out" by cockroach rabbits,....think "cricket-bunnies" instead!

Thank you! :D
      Cricket bunnies... that works too I suppose!
      They'll have to look a bit more crickety for that tough!

Sherbie, you picked the perfect mountain range for some snowy-peaked action...

Thanks! Yeah I figured, since it's rather humid and cold!

Even further to the north, where the Kantara mountain range becomes the Dágubar Mountains, snow still falls during the winter months in the higher peaks, all the way up to the southern reaches of the Prasha mountains, near the northern mountainous spur at the upper borders of Ishpuria, where the superstitious Lorüh tribes dwell...

Maybe one can apply those creatures and other stuff I'll post in here to these areas too. :D
      Dunno what all those snowy-area-specialized creatures do during while there's no snow around though, maybe they hibernate!
      Or maybe they hang around, but are generally less scary or use different tactics.

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      I love "cricket-bunnies." In fact, I want one as an action-figure. Could someone get to work on that?

One you can wind up and it hops around the room? :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().