My mods

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't like certain aspects of the RPG. Like how much everything is bound into the setting of Shard instead of allowing some more freeformed play.

But there is also weapons. There is some great art in the back of the book and names of weapons. But a pistol is just a pistol mechanically. The only difference between one weapon and another is often just damage. Sometimes range as well.

There isn't really any prices on anything, which when we tried out the other day, players were saddened that their so called advantages were pretty useless.

I've not yet worked out prices or starting money yet, but I've been working on some ideas that would fix my problem with weapons being the same mechanically.

These are weapon traits such as..

Precise - You may reroll a single 1
      Deadly - You may reroll a single 5 as though it was a 6.
      Razor Sharp - You may roll an additional die when you attack with this weapon.
      Penetrating - You may ignore an armor level

I also really don't like how damage gets ridiculous when someone can't defend, but still trying to figure out how to fix that.
    • RE: My mods

Hey there Shimmersniper!

Sorry you're finding some things not to your liking...

Though our rules are fairly simplistic when it comes to the basics of how you perform Skills and Abilities in the game, we do indeed base the examples we use to demonstrate these rules specifically on the game's fictional setting, not to mention specific Talents, Advantages, and Professions that can only be found on our world.... This was absolutely on purpose, since our goal was to make sure that when you play our game you feel like you're enjoying a cinematic experience,...and the movie that's on our screen is, of course, SHARD...

However,...if you wanted to run general fantasy using our system, it's fairly easy to use our Animal Template generation system to create other more conventional races (like dwarves, humans, elves, and orcs and such), substituting Animal Abilities for a list of common racial abilities normally seen in most typical fantasy settings... And though we don't provide those (since that's not the type of game we choose to sell), most of the Skills and other Attributes are fairly generic... You should be able to adapt them to a variety of settings, with additions made on your side to add whatever you wish... And again,...our mantra has always been "if a rule doesn't feel right to you, feel free to change it to suit your style of play..." In the end, this is your game now, and the most important thing is for you and your players to have the fun you want to have... Don't let our rules get in the way of a good gaming session...

In fact, we actively support any "house-rules" you'd like to add to either supplement the basic framework we've provided (such as the weapon modifiers you created), or you could even check out the variety of suggestions that we, and other members of the forum here, have already suggested to modify damage in you game however you wish... Check out some of the threads here pertaining to combat: dardunah.com/forum/board.php?boardid=20, and you'll see quite a few really cool examples...

I'm not sure what you mean about how the "so called advantages were pretty useless"... You may need to explain that to me in better detail, so I can answer your question properly...

However, as far as the price of things in the game, and money in general in the game of SHARD, in this initial Basic Compendium, we decided to leave things like item cost and starting character possessions ambiguous enough to let the GM dictate how economics works across the world of Dárdünah... With so many different countries to represent, it's really hard to settle on merely one set of prices for every single item that could exist... However, since several folks, including you have asked about pricing and such, I actually placed a few documents concerning money and commerce for download on one of the threads pertaining to it here on the forums: dardunah.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=275. Down toward the bottom of that first page you'll see one of my responses (Of Dalán and Merchants in Shard) with the two downloadable docs attached... Check that out and see if that helps! They are sneak previews from our book we're still working on, the World Guide of Shard, and the one on Commerce contains a brief item list that'll give you an idea of pricing...

Hopefully this stuff helps!

Scottie ^^
    • Basically there is a bunch of areas that are oddly specific, and then other areas that are oddly vague.

Like the combat being so deadly for example at least to us seems to be heavily based on the idea that

a) most combat happens in the arena
      b) its more about besting people than killing them.

Granted, we are still trying to get a grasp on everything and figure out what is what from the book.

The Wealth advantage, due to vagueness of commerce, seems to be pretty useless, unless the story ends up revolving around how rich the players are (via roleplaying) making a more action oriented campaign be less capable of being influenced by it.

Mind you, we are a group who plays DnD mostly (3.5), but it would be much easier for me to convert it from its fairly generic settings from the PHB to my world of Igrovin than it would be to convert shards fairly setting based mechanics to something I'm looking for with Igrovin.

Thus the reason for this post, I'm looking to differentiate weapons, so they can be more attributed easily to fighting styles such as "Desert Rose" or various other ones I've got floating around my head. And to also tone down the lethality of combat
    • Originally posted by Shimmersniper
      I don't like certain aspects of the RPG.

Like how much everything is bound into the setting of Shard instead of allowing some more freeformed play.

The book does give you some information on the world of Dardünáh, but I personally had the opposite impression.
      I wished for much more information, and sort of ended up doing freeformed play in order to keep the world "intact" and untouched until I know more about. ;)

Originally posted by Shimmersniper
      But there is also weapons. There is some great art in the back of the book and names of weapons. But a pistol is just a pistol mechanically. The only difference between one weapon and another is often just damage. Sometimes range as well.

The game seems to put a lot of focus on the storytelling and only vaguely defines it's items on the side, yes.
      But you can just define them yourself!
      For instance:

Cannoneer's Pocket-Blunderbuss
      A small, but deadly sidearm commonly used by cannoneer crews.
      Range: Short
      Damage: 16
      Damage halfed with each 25ft
      No called shots after 50ft
      Creates a spread with half damage (one square left and right of the target)
      +2 Concealment, -1 Firearms Combat

Check out the homerules thread, there's already been some suggestions in how to make each weapon unique.

You could make a list of special abilities an item could have, and use it to roll out your loot! :D

There isn't really any prices on anything, which when we tried out the other day, players were saddened that their so called advantages were pretty useless.

Yeah, of course players go directly towards the shiny wealth advantages. ;)

I personally have a rule to handle this, it nerfed the wealth advantage somewhat, but everyone seems happy nontheless. :)

These are weapon traits such as..

Precise - You may reroll a single 1
      Deadly - You may reroll a single 5 as though it was a 6.
      Razor Sharp - You may roll an additional die when you attack with this weapon.
      Penetrating - You may ignore an armor level

Good idea! Thought of something similar to make special items even more powerful! :)

I also really don't like how damage gets ridiculous when someone can't defend, but still trying to figure out how to fix that.

There should be a thread about that too!
      Someone suggested just leaving out multiplicators for NPCs.

I found that it helps to have NPCs either be inferior (after all, enemies that are similarly powerful are supposed to be a challenge!) or just having enemies execute a lot of penalty-inducing special attacks.

a) most combat happens in the arena
      b) its more about besting people than killing them.

It's really up to you as a combatant.
      You could chose to solely inflict fatal damage, killing your opponent.

Personally, I attribute weapons in my campaign with a "standard damage type", so that someone attacking someone else with a knife will probably kill the other if he isn't extra careful and deals subdue or subdue/fatal damage at a penalty.

Mind you, we are a group who plays DnD mostly (3.5), but it would be much easier for me to convert it from its fairly generic settings from the PHB to my world of Igrovin than it would be to convert shards fairly setting based mechanics to something I'm looking for with Igrovin.

Sounds interesting. :) Why don't you post some info about your own campaign-setting some times? :D