Fish & Insects

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fish & Insects

It's been a while since I last posted, I know. The good news is that I finally bought a hard copy of the Shard book after simply having the PDF version all this time. The bad news is that after reading it all through again, I now have a couple of questions that I didn't have before.

1) I saw that there are fish and other small suthra that can be caught by fishers. But other than the few aquatic suthra listed in the Bestiary, there is no further info given on them. So, are the fish similar to our own enough that we could simply use common species to describe them?

2) Although the suthra are insectoid in nature I have wondered if there are regular insects of normal size and annoyance to be found. So do the janah protect themselves against mosquito bites, ticks, fleas, and flies? What about beneficial insects like bees and butterflies?

Thanks in advance for any info. :))
      -=Targath=-
    • RE: Fish & Insects

There are thousands of varieties of sea life, much of it similar to things found on Earth. Feel free to make up as many varieties of fish and crustaceans and other sea creatures as you wish. Obviously there would be differences between a Terran species and a Darduni species. Just keep in mind that many species of suthra are bioluminescent and venomous, so fishermen must be careful. There are predatory sea beasts too, like our sharks and such. But seriously, indulge your imagination and make some really cool stuff up.

As for regular-sized insects, yes, there are thousands of species of those too that resemble Earth insects and arachnids. Again, go crazy with them. Make up whatever you want. Just make many of them venomous and/or bioluminescent.

Hope that helps.

-Aaron
    • Dardunah marine life...

I love the idea of evolution taking a serious left turn on Dardunah and all sorts of arthropod life just went nuts.

Imagine the sorts of cetacean athropods, sort of like the critter in Deep Star 6 (movie with Peter Weller of Robocop).

I had a similar idea to a flying small/whale type critter traveling in pods in pursuit of swarms of flying krill.

>>ReaperWolf