Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

I'm just curious if Aaron or Scott have ever watched the anime film or perhaps read the manga of the same name?

Why do you ask?

I just watched it myself for the very first time and saw many things that seem to inspire some Dardunah creatures and plant life in the movie. The giant insects, especially the Ohmu seem almost perfect for Dardunah as they resemble the Buthan very much. There were also flying centipede type creatures that reminded me of the Vurtach and others that could have almost passed for silk locusts.

The jungle in the movie was also breathtakingly beautiful though extremely deadly... though because of poisonous spores moreso than the flora itself.

I guess I was just wondering, could this anime have perhaps inspired some of the flora and fauna of Dardunah, or is it just a happy coincidence? Either way, the film was pretty cool and certainly helped bring some of the creatures on Dardunah to life visually for me while watching it. :)
      -=Targath=-
    • RE: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

Oh yes,...absolutely!!!!

In fact,...we may have mentioned it in a few places here on the forums... I seem to recall a thread pertaining to inspirational movies we mention...

Aaron and I BOTH have always loved the look and feel of the giant insects as portrayed in that film... And some of the beauty and deadliness of the Toxic Jungle certainly inspired concepts such as the fungus forests that can be found in the jungles of the north in some of the Sarpah lands, as well as northern Rákbar...

Flying centipedes? You better believe it!

We highly encourage taking all kinds of cues from those creatures and alien environments... After all,...with millions of kinds of cool insect creatures that could possibly exist in SHARD, we hardly scraped the surface with the meager Bestiary we have published so far...

Check out any movies that have those kinds of creatures,...and go to town!

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

Nausicaa was a major inspiration for Shard. I am a huge fan of Miyazaki's work and this is my favorite of his films. Everything about the look and design of the Toxic Jungle and the creatures who inhabit it helped to inspire and shape the world of Dardunah.

Other big inspirations are THE DARK CRYSTAL and of course DUNE.

Glad you enjoyed it, Targath. It's one of my favorite films.

-Aaron
    • That's cool that the world in Nausica inspired Shard. :) The visuals of the jungle and some of the insects in it sure were cool. The movie's story was quite well done too, so definitely a good film.

If it were not for the fact that I had done a search for anime movies that were considered appealing for adults, I probably never would have found it. As it is, I have not been much of an anime fan and only recently started looking into them as a means of entertainment. Particularly after grabbing a PDF of the BESM 3rd edition game.

Dark Crystal was always a favorite movie of mine and I can see where that film would have inspired things for Dardunah as well. Particularly the magic.

Dune, the movie, is something I only really ever watched when I got old enough to understand what was going on. I remember trying to watch the movie when it first came out on HBO when I was younger and not catching on to all the political intrigue and character backgrounds... so at the time it bored me.

I have to admit, I have still not read the books. (Bad Targath!) Maybe I will have to do so one of these days.

Anyway, nice to hear about some of the things that inspired the game so I can give them another look and get the same vibe for my own games.
      -=Targath=-