Star Trek Continues!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Star Trek Continues!

Hey guys! Check this out!

For those of you who, like me, are fans of Star Trek, and ESPECIALLY for those who enjoy the wonderfully-retro nostalgia of the original Star Trek TV series in all its glory (with Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and all the other members of the good ol' original cast), there's a fun new web-series coming out called "Star Trek Continues" that my friend Chris Doohan is working on!

[Blocked Image: http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q305/Jadugara/StarTrekContinuesflattened.jpg]

Chris' dad, James Doohan (Scotty, of the original series and films), used to take Chris with him on set, and so of course Chris has held a torch in his heart for all things Star Trek ever since! Chris is a great guy, and a talented fellow too, and has been involved not only in a few of the earlier Star Trek films, but has also appeared in the Star Trek of 2009, the "New Voyages" TV series in 2012, and it looks like he'll be appearing in the next film too!

This current web-series Chris is working on, Star Trek Continues, is based on the original Star Trek series, and its enigmatic 5-year voyage. The original series ended three years into the journey, and the creative team Chris is working with is starting this new series right where the original left off. The series is even being shot in the original 4:3 format to keep the authenticity of the framing of the original series!

I gotta say, having just watched the vignette (see link below) of the beginning of "Happy Birthday Scotty", these guys REALLY nailed the "look and feel" of the old series; the camera angles, the lighting, the props and sets, the sound effects,...it's ALL there! Really fun!

Of course, we shouldn't expect that these newer actors will be perfect clones of the originals (though Chris' adaption of his dad's "Scotty" is delightful, and probably the closest to feeling "right", much like Grant Imahara as Sulu,...good stuff!), but you can tell they're ALL quite passionate about the roles, while trying to capture the subtlety of the characters' traits...(as opposed to going purely for the easy, more iconic/comical aspects we all see on most parodies)...

You can tell this is not meant to be a parody, but instead a loving continuation of the stories the original series wanted to tell...

Here's the link to the vignette! vimeo.com/54562820

And if you'd like to check out their site to see more, go here!
      startrekcontinues.com

Here's what Chris said when he was talking with me about it...

"We just finished filming our first episode, which will be premiered at the Phoenix Comic con in May. It's actually a lot of fun, although a bit surreal. I never thought I would be playing Scotty.

Thanks for spreading the word. Chris"

And speaking of "spreading the word", if you guys know a lot of other fellow Star Trek fans out there, then please, link to those sites on your Facebook page!

Anyway,...check it out, my friends... And here's to many more years of Star Trek!

Cheers!

Scottie ^^
    • continuing mission

Amazing.

I continue to be humbled by the achievements so many can achieve with talent and dedication. Another one for the wikipedia page listing fans' Star Trek related productions:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fan_productions

And, while I read it in your post, I glossed over it and did not process that it was Grant Imahara of Mythbusters playing Sulu! Between Wheaton's TableTop and now this, he can only reduce his 7-degrees of separation from Star Trek by being in a movie directly!