Dárdünah Character Creation: Take 4, pt 1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dárdünah Character Creation: Take 4, pt 1

So I decided to document my most recent attempt at creation and to try to follow a more logical order to my mind that what is currently specified. After reading a post recently, it seemed that this method meshes much more closely with what my mind is looking for.

Animal Template -> Characteristics -> Animal Abilities -> Caste -> Profession -> Skills -> Advantages -> Drawbacks

I personally think that it falls into 3 large chunks.

• Animal Template -> Characteristics -> Animal Abilities
    • Caste -> Profession -> Skills
    • Advantages -> Drawbacks

Even though it has been stressed to follow the order given, I am hoping I can still follow through with this method, despite my previous failures in hopes that by reorganizing a bit, it will more smoothly flow through my mind at least.

Mind you most of this will be stream of consciousness and what not in finagling out my character.

Step 0: Power Level

While this isn’t something the player usually picks, I certainly need to know how many points I have to spread about. I figure I will go with Heroic, seems like a good starting point. Don’t want to be a nobody, but don’t think I am ready for all of the ultimate power of Legendary, muhahahahaa….errrr ehem, anyway. So it looks like I get to play with…

Character Points: 54
    Ability Points: 100
    Max Characteristics Ranks: 8

So first thing I have been confused about more than once are these names. Now this is purely personal from playing lots of systems, but to me abilities are my base statistics, STR, DEX, etc. While my characteristics are the more broad aspects, advantages, drawbacks, class (profession) etc. First thing to overcome in my mind is it is all backwards here. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just wanted to let you know that these names alone killed my first creation attempt as I was subtracting everything from the wrong categories, although I did love the straight 8s I had in all my Characteristics, but was confused when I had points leftover.

So now that I have that part all sorted out; on to bigger and better choices.

Step 0.9: Animal Category

So I see here we have 3 big chunks: feathers, scales, or fur. Hmmm choices, choices, choices… After a quick skim it seems that the 3 don’t really mix much in society. I could be wrong here, but that is my initial impression after a hasty skim/read of the first book. If this is the case, I think this might be something the GM might need to set out, to pick only within one specified category. That is neither really here nor there, again just another observation.

I will go ahead and pick a Vajrah type as I think I would be most happy playing one over the other types.

Step 1: Animal Category

Flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. Nice, this covers most everything I could hope to play. May have to tweak a thing or 2 to get exactly what I want but don’t feel that will be an issue. However there are 3 noticeable categories I see missing. First is the whole seal/walrus group type. Dangit, that is my avatar on the site I was kind of hoping to play one, I like their look and other some bastardized version of a hippo I don’t see anything close. Next are rabbits. Come on, what do you mean I can’t play a Usagi Yojimbo rip-off. I know it is cliché, but when I think of animorphs the first thing I think of is a rabbit samurai with a big sword. The last would be a smaller dog category like a fox. Again totally cliché, but how many people out there want to play a kitsune type character. Again this could be done with a variation on the wolf type, but it is more work for the GM to approve and such.

Well since none of those are available I am think maybe one of those big ol fruit bats of some sort, which would be fun. Gliding Rodents, hmmm dang close. A little flipping back to the Paksin section to see if they may be there, nope, no score. Well, ok other than the no flying thing it seems good so I will just rip me a little piece off of the Columba (about the right size, maybe a little big), seems they have a Flight rating of 3, yoink, sounds good to me, seems about right.

Guess I should start writing some of this stuff down. Thank goodness I read not to use a character sheet till you are done, so let’s see what I get.

Gliding Flying Rodent (Fruit Bat)

Characteristics
    STR: 3
    VIG: 2
    AGI: 5
    DEX: 3
    PER: 2
    WIT: 2
    WIL: 2
    PRE: 2
    ESS: 1

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3
    Gnawing Teeth: 3
    Keen Hearing: 2
    Silent Flight: 5
    Wide Peripheral: 2
    Gliding: 5
    Great Leap: 3
    Night Vision: 2

Hmmm, I am a bat not a flying squirrel so I need me some flight, oh and look there is ability Great Leap, perfect 3 points in that for 3 points in Flight, no gain no loss points wise, seems like a fair trade.

Animal Abilities
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3

Talents
    Alertness: 1
    Courage: 1
    Subterfuge: 1
    Ambidexterity: 1
    Fast Reflexes: 1

Drawbacks
    Absent Minded: 2 pt.
    Nocturnal: 2 pt.

I know, I know, can’t even get through creation without modifying the rules, well this seems like par for the course when it comes to creation for me at least.

So let’s see now, gotta pay for this… Ok now Travis, make sure you subtract from the right columns this time.

Character Points: 54 – 16 = 38
    Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81

Ok, I see I get to pick a build type. I like this, adds some flavor other than description and there are consequences and bonuses for picking certain things, NICE. That being said I pick average as I have screwed up enough numbers in my previous attempts, no gain, and no loss.

On to physical stuff.

Height: 3’ 7”
    Weight: 54 lbs.

I just picked some mid range numbers here that seemed like a good fit for what is materializing in my mind.

Step 1 is done, and I don’t think I even screwed up.

Step 2: Characteristics

Note to self if you wind up with straight 8s again you are using the wrong category to pay for them…

So I see from above I have 38 points to spend here. (Character Points: 54 – 16 = 38) and I get Max Characteristics Ranks: 8.

Easy enough, but before I go throwing about these numbers willy nilly I need an idea of who I am gonna be….yeah that really isn’t hard, I damn near always play a caster, so a caster I will be. Or more specifically a Sir’hibas of some sort. Thank you Joe for pointing out some better choices for me when going this route.

Characteristics
    VIG: 2 + 6 = 8
    PER: 2 + 6 = 8
    WIL: 2 + 6 = 8
    PRE: 2 + 6 = 8
    ESS: 1 + 7 = 8

It was indicated in Joe’s document that these were my most important characteristics so let’s go ahead and max those baby’s out and see what I have left.

Character Points: 54 – 16 = 38 - 6 – 6 – 6 – 6 – 7 = 7

Ok so 7 more points to spread about. Hmm this makes no sense; he recommended a high PRE, yet not a high WIT. Very odd, a thought caster’s were smart, who give’s a rat’s ass how pretty I am (ok I know it is not all outward appearance, but still).

Characteristics
    AGI: 5 + 1 = 6
    DEX: 3 + 3 = 6
    WIT: 2 + 6 = 8
    PRE: 2 + 3 = 5

Little switching about and here we go. I figured I can ignore strength as I don’t plan on swinging a large piece of metal….err crystal at anyone to decapitate them.

Step 3: Animal Abilities

Hmm, seems I need to make a couple adjustments to my previous abilities based on these before moving on.

Animal Abilities
    Keen Hearing: 2 8
    Silent Flight: 5 6
    Wide Peripheral: 2 6
    Gliding: 5 6
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3 6
    Night Vision: 2 8

So now to get these raised up a bit. I’m a bat, I cling, that’s what I do, gotta toss some more points in there. Silent Flight, damn skippy, I am one quiet mofo. Flight, yeah might as well go for the big guns there too.

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3 + 5 = 8
    Silent Flight: 5 6 + 2 = 8
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3 6 + 2 = 8

Aww crap, this isn’t bought on a 1:1 ration like characteristics. Gotta stop assuming…

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3 + 5(10) = 8
    Silent Flight: 5 6 + 2(2) = 8
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3 6 + 2(10) = 8

Holy hell, ok maybe lets not spend so many points here. Still have lots of creation to go.

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3 + 3(6) = 5

OK now I subtract my character points, DAMNIT, ability points now…

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73

Not bad, not bad, still have plenty of points to spread around. And I am a fully functional animal now. And as my step dad said when I was 15, stop loafing about and get a job boy.

Step 4: Caste

Onto my place in society. Unlike many other games, this means something. Who would have thought? So as mentioned before, I want to be a Sir’hibas of some sort. Guess I should find out what types there are first.

Outcast: None
    Peasant: Wise One
    Trade: Fakir
    Sunborn: Great Seer, Seer
    Holy Caste: Healer

Hmm well, that certainly narrows down my choices, not interested in being a healer, and I want to be able to be publicly known as a practitioner of magic. So Sunborn seems right. Sunborn it is. Flippin on over to the Advantages chapter… 3pts it is.

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73 – 3 = 70

Step 5: Profession

Although I see it is possible to have more than 1 of these, which is just going to confuse me even more, so I will stick to just 1. Since I chose to be Sunborn and a Sir’hibas that pretty well limits me to 2 professions. Seer and Great Seer. As I am hasty and always want the bigger bang for the buck Great Seer it is. I mean its Great, right?!?

...continued below
    ~Travis
  • RE: Dárdünah Character Creation: Take 4, pt 2

...continued from above

Hmm, I see there are 3 types of these as well, Prominent Sorcerer, Seer, or Summoner. I am lazy, need minions. Summoner sounds good. So let’s see what I get for this choice.

Social Standing: High
    Skills:
    Performance (2)
    Craft (3)
    Knowledge (4)
    Etiquette
    Fasting
    Magic Rituals (2)
    Melee
    Research
    Alchemy
    Fire Craft
    Scribing
    Ancient History
    Culture
    Divination
    Herbal Lore
    Legends
    Lineage
    Magic Theory
    Mathematics
    Ritual Lore

Well apparently I picked an expensive one.

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73 – 3 = 70 – 27 = 43

So I am scratching my head at these skills right now at the skills, do I 1 rank in these right now or something…Hmm there it is, right before Outcaste begins, based on characteristics, gotcha, will figure this out when I get to the skill chapter I assume.
    Step 6 (3.5): Talents

Crud, this wasn’t in my original plan, but as I go along I find I need to slip this in. I would move this up to Step 3.5 between Animal Abilities and Caste. Well let’s see here, I start off with sumthin like this.

Talents

Um, questing 1, what in the F-ing hell is a story point, I haven’t been given story points yet… Help me Joe, you are my only hope!

Well Joe doesn’t tell me, but some further research indicates these are basically XP, kind of. And it appears I spend ability points here as if they were story points. May want a bit of clarification here in the book.

Overall I am happy with what I got from my animal template. Maybe 1 more point in Fast Reflexes. Also see I need to buy my Sir’hibas talent here. Better read that section closely.

Talents
    Fast Reflexes: 1 + 1 (2) = 2
    Sir’hibas: 1(8) + 2(2) + 3(3) + 4(4) = 4

Being a caster is expensive it seems. With great power comes great responsibility… maybe… great cost… absolutely.

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73 – 3 = 70 – 27 = 43 – 2 – 8 – 2 – 3 – 4 = 24

Step 7: Skills

Woo, freebies. Always nice getting something for nothing.

Brawling: 3
    Camouflage: 3
    Climbing: 3
    Convince: 3
    Dodge/Block: 3
    Language (Native Tongue): 3
    Professional Skill (Choose an additional one): 3
    Regional Knowledge (Home City): 3
    Religion: 3
    Search: 3
    Shadowing: 3
    Stealth: 3
    Throw: 3
    Performance (2): ???
    Craft (3): ???
    Knowledge (4): 8
    Etiquette: 5
    Fasting: 8
    Magic Rituals (2): ???
    Melee: 6
    Research: 8
    Alchemy: 6
    Fire Craft: 8
    Scribing: 6
    Ancient History: 8
    Culture: 8
    Divination: 8
    Herbal Lore: 8
    Legends: 8
    Lineage: 8
    Magic Theory: 8
    Mathematics: 8
    Ritual Lore: 8

Seems like before even spending points I have choices to make, no worries there.

Hmm, I don’t see a language list readily apparent so I will just assume that the GM will tell me what I speak or that there is a common language we will use for now.

OK, I am almost immediately lost. I don’t see anything labeled as a “Professional” Skill; I only see Performance, Craft, and Knowledge. Back to Joe’s document, ah I see now what to pick. This needs to be clarified in the book. Without someone explicitly telling me what this was, I would have only guessed what to pick here.

Since there are 3 separate skill types, I am going to go ahead and break mine out into these, I am just that type of person, I like my lists nice and neat.

Performance

Powder Craft: 8
    Strategy: 8
    Valah Craft: 6 + 2 = 8

Craft
    Aerial Navigation: 8
    Crystal Lore: 8
    Sky Ships: 8
    Weather Lore: 8

Knowledge
    Fast Draw: 6 + 2 = 8
    Magic Rituals (1): 8
    Magic Rituals (2): 8
    Tactics (Professional Skill): 3 + 5 = 8
    Valah: 6 + 2 = 8

Nice, things are starting to come together. Yes I was totally inspired by the little picture of the gun toting guy in my animal template picture. I am thinking Sky Pirate right now. Yarghhh! It’s my character I can do what I want…mostly. I also raised a few skills in the process. And at least I read before hand these are a 1:1 buy ratio.

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73 – 3 = 70 – 27 = 43 – 2 – 8 – 2 – 3 – 4 = 24
    – 2 - 2 - 5 – 2 = 13

Hmm, getting a bit low on these. Might have to come back and rethink a thing or 3. I get 2 magic rituals which are cool and I see I have to look in another book for that… will come back to that later.

Step 8: Advantages

Well technically Caste is supposed to go here, but I broke the rules bought it early and don’t see anything else worthwhile here. NEXT!

Step 9: Drawbacks

I get saddled with a few things from my template I see.
    Drawbacks

Crap, I don’t like absent minded, not what I wanted at all. Nocturnal is a whatever thing. I don’t see a way to get rid of these though. Is it possible to “un-buy” drawbacks given in an animal template?

May have to come back and take a few of these depending on what the rituals cost, a little worried about that still.

Step 10: Magic

Back to Joe’s advice read pg. 11 in the Magic book, will do…

Hmm after reading through that twice, I see I basically barely purchased enough Talent in Sir’hibas as can only have a number of rituals equal to ½ that rounded up and I get 2 of them in my skill set based on my profession. Not sure if this could be brought to anyone’s attention sooner, but there is a good chance that most people would have to go back and futz with their previous numbers by not realizing this before now.

Well I chose to be a summoner and I see there are basically 3 things I can summon, Demons, Suthra, and Elementals.

Since I am doing the whole sky pirate thing, YARGHHHH! , I am think my 2 rituals would be Summon Elemental Power and Command the Weather. Make the wind work for me as it were.

So it looks like I get the Disciplines, Elemental Attunement and Chant of Kirah for free.

Looking back I have 13 ability points left. Time to get some more rituals.

Passing the Veils of Dream: 1
    The Song of Vayu: 3
    Order and Form: 4
    Calling the Winds: 3
    Dismissing the Weather: 2

– 2 - 2 - 5 – 2 = 13 – 1 – 3 – 4 – 3 – 2 = 0

WOOO HOO I think I am almost done.

Step 11: Character Summary

After all is said and done I wound up looking something like this.

Vajrah: Flying Rodent (Fruit Bat)

Characteristics
    VIG: 8
    AGI: 6
    DEX: 6
    PER: 8
    WIT: 8
    WIL: 8
    PRE: 5
    ESS: 8

Hit Points: (Vigor (8) + Will (8)) x 2 = 32

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 5
    Keen Hearing: 8
    Silent Flight: 8
    Wide Peripheral: 6
    Gliding: 6
    Flight: 6
    Night Vision: 8

Caste: Sunborn
    Profession: Sir’hibas (Summoner)

Talents
    Fast Reflexes: 2
    Sir’hibas: 4

Performance

Craft

Knowledge
    Magic Rituals (Summon Elemental Power): 8
    Magic Rituals (Command the Weather): 8

Advantages
    None

Drawbacks

Disciplines
    Elemental Attunement: 0
    Chant of Kirah: 0
    Passing the Veils of Dream: -1
    The Song of Vayu: -3
    Order and Form: -4
    Calling the Winds: -3
    Dismissing the Weather: -2

Equipment

Apparently the GM gives me stuff, seems odd to me, but I can go with the flow.

Final Notes

I would modify my initial view of my preferred steps as follows

• Power Level
    • Animal Template -> Characteristics -> Animal Abilities -> Talents
    • Martial Styles and/or Magic Rituals

If someone much wiser than I could take a look through this and see if I made any glaring mistakes in the creation process that would be great. I hope that my little stroll through creation helps in some small way with streamlining the process for future generations of players.
    ~Travis
  • RE: Dárdünah Character Creation: Take 4, pt 1

This is a response to Sigerith concerning his attempts at Character Creation. My responses, however, may be of interest to you all.

Scottie ^^

Originally posted by Sigerith
    So I decided to document my most recent attempt at creation and to try to follow a more logical order to my mind that what is currently specified. After reading a post recently, it seemed that this method meshes much more closely with what my mind is looking for.

First and foremost,..thanks so much, Sigerith, for taking the time to write all this stuff down for my perusal. I promise,..honest to goodness,.. that I'm working on a more "clear" version of the Character Creation rules...which I intend to get into everyone's hands in the form of a brief outline (the Quick Character Creation Reference) as soon as I possibly can.. However,..it is important to note that there will be little to no change in the ORDER that these new directives will be laid out, just a much simpler and clearer way to describe what it is that you need to do (with bits an pieces added to make sure that certain "purchases", as far as important character details, aren't forgotten till the last minute,..such as Caste).

Animal Template -> Characteristics -> Animal Abilities -> Caste -> Profession -> Skills -> Advantages -> Drawbacks

I personally think that it falls into 3 large chunks.

• Animal Template -> Characteristics -> Animal Abilities

Where do Talents fit into this order?

Even though it has been stressed to follow the order given, I am hoping I can still follow through with this method, despite my previous failures in hopes that by reorganizing a bit, it will more smoothly flow through my mind at least.

Creating the character in the order required in the book is VERY, VERY important. Not doing so will result in failure more assuredly than trying to read through my apparently poor ability to clarify certain of the directives contained within each of the steps as written in the book now. Many of the errors I have so far had to help people through have occurred because people haven't chosen to read through each of the steps thoroughly, noting what the various sentences say to do. In retrospect,..this is a clue to me that I need to make sure that "what players need to do" is expressed in a "just do what the ordered bullet-points say, and you don't need to read the fine print" type of manner. So that's what I'm essentially trying to do right now, which will hopefully be made available to all soon on this site...

Mind you most of this will be stream of consciousness and what not in finagling out my character.

Step 0: Power Level

While this isn’t something the player usually picks, I certainly need to know how many points I have to spread about. I figure I will go with Heroic, seems like a good starting point. Don’t want to be a nobody, but don’t think I am ready for all of the ultimate power of Legendary, muhahahahaa….errrr ehem, anyway. So it looks like I get to play with…

Character Points: 54
    Ability Points: 100
    Max Characteristics Ranks: 8

So first thing I have been confused about more than once are these names. Now this is purely personal from playing lots of systems, but to me abilities are my base statistics, STR, DEX, etc. While my characteristics are the more broad aspects, advantages, drawbacks, class (profession) etc. First thing to overcome in my mind is it is all backwards here. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just wanted to let you know that these names alone killed my first creation attempt as I was subtracting everything from the wrong categories, although I did love the straight 8s I had in all my Characteristics, but was confused when I had points leftover.

The best way to think about it is this way:

Your Characteristics (Str. Agil. Wit. Dex. etc...) are purchased with Character Points.
    Your Abilities (all the things your character has the ability to DO or affects the things that you can do with extra dice, such as Animal Abilities, Skills, Talents, Advantages, etc.) are purchased with Ability Points.

Strength, Wit, and Dexterity, to me,..are not abilities,..they are characteristics. Likewise,.. Search, Create Poison, and Dodge aren't characteristics,..they are abilities.

Again,..it is really, really important to carefully read these rules, since the descriptions of these terms are defined within the paragraphs of text in each Step, and the specific definitions of the Tables are outlined in detail after each Table displayed in the book.

So now that I have that part all sorted out; on to bigger and better choices.

Step 0.9: Animal Category

Oops... Here's where it's gonna start going wrong for you,..and let me explain why... Characters shouldn't be created in a void, they should be made with an understanding of the campaign that the GM is going to be running (as explained in Step 1: Know the Story). now,..though I'm sure you are creating this character as a test to the system itself,..it's still important to follow the outlined process, since this game is tailored for roleplaying within an established setting and situational context. How does the ordered outlined process of character creation have anything to do with an established setting and situational contex, you may ask? Allow me to explain.

First things first. The Story,..the most important element (aside from getting an understanding of the points you get to spend, and the Power Level of the game being run) is listed first and formost as Step #1. Before you can even MAKE your character, there needs to be an essential setting that the character, like an actor in a movie, gets to interact in. When creating a movie script, the author doesn't create a cast of characters, and all their little details, untill they have a DAMN good grip on the overall story that they want to tell. For RPGs like this one (one heavily invested in actual roleplaying, as opposed to the "dungeon crawls" of original D & D), the GM should let the players in on the "type" of story their campaign will be telling (as outlined in the Campaign Archetypes on page 23 of the basic Compendium), and further augment that information to include the specifics of the situation that the characters, as a group, would be involved in, as well as a recent sampling of past events that all the characters would be aware of within the game. This should "set the stage" so to speak for how the players' characters will "fit into" the world, and help give them an understanding of what they will need to consider for the NEXT step in Character Creation,..choosing your profession.

Why would choosing a pofession be the next step, you may ask, instead of choosing the Animal Type you want to play? Because in Dardunah, I desire to place emphasis on WHO you are before I place emphasis on WHAT (race) you are. This may seem backwards to some,..but consider this: Whether you are a bird, a reptile, or a mammal has LESS to do with the Story (which is of primary importance,..thus Step 1), than whether you are a warrior, a priest, a lord, or a beggar, etc.. Your profession (what your character's life has been occupied by) is of MUCH MORE bearing on the campaign than whether you have feathers, fur, or scales. That is not to say that you shouldn't be thinking about it....after all,..it IS the next Step. But you should be using your Ability points to BUY the professional element of your character immediately AFTER you understand the story, since your profession is second in importance only to the story, as far as the campaign is concerned.

So I see here we have 3 big chunks: feathers, scales, or fur. Hmmm choices, choices, choices… After a quick skim it seems that the 3 don’t really mix much in society. I could be wrong here, but that is my initial impression after a hasty skim/read of the first book. If this is the case, I think this might be something the GM might need to set out, to pick only within one specified category. That is neither really here nor there, again just another observation.

Well,..there actually is a paragraph under "The Janah" under the subheading of Customs, Clothing, and Culture (page 11, bottom right, Basic Compendium) which states specifically "Some regions have a predominance of one racial type of “jenu” over the other; Vajrah in the southeast, Sarpah in the north and northeast, Paksin in the southwest, with the central areas of Dárdünah tending to have an equal distribution of all races."

Again,..what this should indicate is that the GM should decide not necessarily what specific type the players MUST choose from,..but more importantly indicate where the campaign they are about to run is to be set,..do research on this particular area of the world (using the descriptions of the countries and the pertinant history in the World Guide), and provide the players with whatever indications they need to help them decide on an appropriate animal type.

(Continued in next post by me...)
  • (Continued from most recent post by me....)

I will go ahead and pick a Vajrah type as I think I would be most happy playing one over the other types.

Step 1: Animal Category

Flip, flip, flip, flip, flip. Nice, this covers most everything I could hope to play. May have to tweak a thing or 2 to get exactly what I want but don’t feel that will be an issue. However there are 3 noticeable categories I see missing. First is the whole seal/walrus group type. Dangit, that is my avatar on the site I was kind of hoping to play one, I like their look and other some bastardized version of a hippo I don’t see anything close. Next are rabbits. Come on, what do you mean I can’t play a Usagi Yojimbo rip-off. I know it is cliché, but when I think of animorphs the first thing I think of is a rabbit samurai with a big sword. The last would be a smaller dog category like a fox. Again totally cliché, but how many people out there want to play a kitsune type character. Again this could be done with a variation on the wolf type, but it is more work for the GM to approve and such.

Heh,..well,..remember,..you are dealing with a work still in progress here,..what you guys are getting is not the total and complete list of Animal Templates as they will be included in the final print run of these rulebooks. In fact,..by the time these books ship,..not only do I intend to have 90 full animal templates in the Basic Compendium (there are now only a little over 30) including all of the ones you noted as being missing above, but I have an entire list of 90 more templates (even more obscure animal types) in the works to be published in a supplement meant to hit the shelves just a few months after the three hard-backed books.

Well since none of those are available I am think maybe one of those big ol fruit bats of some sort, which would be fun. Gliding Rodents, hmmm dang close. A little flipping back to the Paksin section to see if they may be there, nope, no score. Well, ok other than the no flying thing it seems good so I will just rip me a little piece off of the Columba (about the right size, maybe a little big), seems they have a Flight rating of 3, yoink, sounds good to me, seems about right.

Guess I should start writing some of this stuff down. Thank goodness I read not to use a character sheet till you are done, so let’s see what I get.

Gliding Flying Rodent (Fruit Bat)

Characteristics
    VIG: 2
    PER: 2
    WIL: 2
    PRE: 2
    ESS: 1

Animal Abilities
    Great Leap: 3

Hmmm, I am a bat not a flying squirrel so I need me some flight, oh and look there is ability Great Leap, perfect 3 points in that for 3 points in Flight, no gain no loss points wise, seems like a fair trade.

Flight and Great Leap do NOT cost the same to purchase, however (see Animal Abilities), and a trade like this would change the overall cost of the template. I generally do not encourage trying to trade Animal Abilities like this unless you carefully go scrutinize how much these abilities cost on their own (in their appropriate section).

Animal Abilities
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3

Talents

Drawbacks

I know, I know, can’t even get through creation without modifying the rules, well this seems like par for the course when it comes to creation for me at least.

All I can say is "OUCH".... I'm so sorry you went through all of this. I had originally intended all the playtesters to use ONLY those templates already included, so as to avoid having to go through what you did. However, at the back of the book (Basic Compendium) is an entire section on creating new animal templates in case you don't find one to your liking... A bit complex,..yes (it's what I, and those who help me, have to go through to make every one you see),..but it tells it like it is. However,..I actually DO have a bat template (small bats,..not large bats) already recently created that you could have used if you wished. I'll include that image as an attachment to the bottom of this message once I'm done.

So let’s see now, gotta pay for this… Ok now Travis, make sure you subtract from the right columns this time.

Character Points: 54 – 16 = 38
    Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81

Ok, I see I get to pick a build type. I like this, adds some flavor other than description and there are consequences and bonuses for picking certain things, NICE. That being said I pick average as I have screwed up enough numbers in my previous attempts, no gain, and no loss.

On to physical stuff.

I just picked some mid range numbers here that seemed like a good fit for what is materializing in my mind.

If you used the Animal Template you were basing your work on (the flying rodent) and tried to match the Age, Height, and Weight ranges presented there,..you may have been short-changed,..since a fruitbat is usually MUCH larger and may live longer that a flying squirrel. For that matter,..these same attributes may be too small on the Small Bat template I have included as an attachment. The Large Bat template has yet to be made.

Step 1 is done, and I don’t think I even screwed up.

Step 2: Characteristics

Note to self if you wind up with straight 8s again you are using the wrong category to pay for them…

So I see from above I have 38 points to spend here. (Character Points: 54 – 16 = 38) and I get Max Characteristics Ranks: 8.

Easy enough, but before I go throwing about these numbers willy nilly I need an idea of who I am gonna be….yeah that really isn’t hard, I damn near always play a caster, so a caster I will be. Or more specifically a Sir’hibas of some sort. Thank you Joe for pointing out some better choices for me when going this route.

Characteristics
    PRE: 2 + 6 = 8

It was indicated in Joe’s document that these were my most important characteristics so let’s go ahead and max those baby’s out and see what I have left.

Character Points: 54 – 16 = 38 - 6 – 6 – 6 – 6 – 7 = 7

Ok so 7 more points to spread about. Hmm this makes no sense; he recommended a high PRE, yet not a high WIT. Very odd, a thought caster’s were smart, who give’s a rat’s ass how pretty I am (ok I know it is not all outward appearance, but still).

Remember that Presence is not merely how you look,..but represents your charisma as well. A physically ugly person can have a powerful presence and charisma,..and when you are standing before a crowd (or even an individual) and trying to "wow" them in some way or another,..a strong presence is necessary. Seduction, Oration, Intimidation, Etiquite, etc...; these things require Presence to perform well. Perhaps Joe was imagining that a spellcaster might want to be good at these things.

Characteristics
    AGI: 5 + 1 = 6
    DEX: 3 + 3 = 6
    WIT: 2 + 6 = 8
    PRE: 2 + 3 = 5

Little switching about and here we go. I figured I can ignore strength as I don’t plan on swinging a large piece of metal….err crystal at anyone to decapitate them.

Step 3: Animal Abilities

Hmm, seems I need to make a couple adjustments to my previous abilities based on these before moving on.

Animal Abilities
    Silent Flight: 5 6
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3 6

So now to get these raised up a bit. I’m a bat, I cling, that’s what I do, gotta toss some more points in there. Silent Flight, damn skippy, I am one quiet mofo. Flight, yeah might as well go for the big guns there too.

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3 + 5 = 8
    Silent Flight: 5 6 + 2 = 8
    Great Leap: 3 Flight: 3 6 + 2 = 8

Aww crap, this isn’t bought on a 1:1 ration like characteristics. Gotta stop assuming…

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3 + 5(10) = 8

Holy hell, ok maybe lets not spend so many points here. Still have lots of creation to go.

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 3 + 3(6) = 5

OK now I subtract my character points, DAMNIT, ability points now…

Heh,..remember,...Character points are for Characteristics,..Ability Points are for Abilities of all kinds, including Animal Abilities.

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73

Not bad, not bad, still have plenty of points to spread around. And I am a fully functional animal now. And as my step dad said when I was 15, stop loafing about and get a job boy.

(Continued in next post by me....)
    Images
    • Bat_Sml_Template.jpg

3.92 MB, 2,388×1,486, viewed 259 times
  • (Continued from last post by me)

Step 4: Caste

Onto my place in society. Unlike many other games, this means something. Who would have thought?

Heh,..well,..considering that this world utilizes a Caste System that is thoroughly based on your profession,..how could it be ANY other way.

But seriously, as mentioned in Step #2, where you were supposed to have chosen your profession MUCH earlier,..the caste that applied to your profession that you chose should have already been written down on your character sheet. In this new rendition of more clarified Character Creation that I am working on, the cost of your Caste will be INCLUDED in the cost for the professional template, and all you will have to do later (once you get to Advantages) is to decide if you want to put any more points into your caste, thus elevating your status within your own caste (which DOES in fact have repercussions throughout the game, if Caste becomes a factor).

So as mentioned before, I want to be a Sir’hibas of some sort. Guess I should find out what types there are first.

Outcast: None
    Peasant: Wise One
    Trade: Fakir
    Sunborn: Great Seer, Seer
    Holy Caste: Healer

Hmm well, that certainly narrows down my choices, not interested in being a healer, and I want to be able to be publicly known as a practitioner of magic. So Sunborn seems right. Sunborn it is. Flippin on over to the Advantages chapter… 3pts it is.

As a quick note, if you were to read all of the Outcaste Professions you would find:
    Leech (outcaste Herbalist, Midwife, Healer, Sorcerer, Seer, or Summoner Sir’hibasi) – An outcaste who has developed a talent for herbalism, healing, and perhaps magic. Such an individual might be known as a wise-person or midwife, and would be sought after by other outcaste for their skills. Outcaste workers of magic, however, usually hide their skills out of fear of persecution, since only the magic of Sunborn caste or higher is considered “pure” and holy.
    Social Standing: High Range.
    Initial Skills: Dress Wound, Surgery, Cooking, Fire Craft, Medicine Craft, Divination, Herbal Lore, Horticulture, Legends, Medical.
    Ability Point Cost: 10

And under Holy Caste you would also find:
    Sadhu (holy Sorcerer, Seer, or Summoner Sir’hibasi) – This holy caste member has been granted, directly by the Devah, the gift of the sir’hibasi. The magic they perform, therefore, tends to be of a more miraculous nature rather than the somewhat formulaic rituals of the standard sir’hibas. Holy prayers and invocations of the devah are a common part of such magic, and the devotional nature of these powers is key.
    Social Standing: High Range.
    Initial Skills: 2 Random Performance Skills, 2 Random Craft Skills, 2 Random Knowledge Skills, Magic Ritual, Fire Craft, Scribing, Ancient History, Culture, Customs, Legends, Magic Theory (theological), Mathematics, Religion (specific to their particular caste profession), Ritual Lore, Tradition.
    Ability Point Cost: 18

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73 – 3 = 70

Step 5: Profession

Although I see it is possible to have more than 1 of these, which is just going to confuse me even more, so I will stick to just 1. Since I chose to be Sunborn and a Sir’hibas that pretty well limits me to 2 professions. Seer and Great Seer. As I am hasty and always want the bigger bang for the buck Great Seer it is. I mean its Great, right?!?

(Continued in next post by me.....)
  • (Continued from my most recent post...)

Hmm, I see there are 3 types of these as well, Prominent Sorcerer, Seer, or Summoner. I am lazy, need minions. Summoner sounds good. So let’s see what I get for this choice.

Skills:
    Performance (2)
    Craft (3)
    Knowledge (4)
    Etiquette
    Fasting
    Magic Rituals (2)
    Melee
    Research
    Alchemy
    Fire Craft
    Scribing
    Ancient History
    Culture
    Divination
    Herbal Lore
    Legends
    Lineage
    Magic Theory
    Mathematics
    Ritual Lore

Well apparently I picked an expensive one.

Yep,..the expense is based on the number of Skills it contains. For the purposes of the Character Archetype (Profession) Templates, you get a "deal" in that each skill you get with the template costs only 1 Ability point each to get it at it full value. As you will see later,..under Skills, it normally costs 2 pts to get a Skill at it's base value (it's Characteristic Link).

Ability Points: 100 – 19 = 81 – 6 – 2 = 73 – 3 = 70 – 27 = 43

So I am scratching my head at these skills right now at the skills, do I 1 rank in these right now or something…Hmm there it is, right before Outcaste begins, based on characteristics, gotcha, will figure this out when I get to the skill chapter I assume.

Yes,..that is correct,..and,..sorry that this part was somewhat confusing.. In the new outline for it I'm creating, this fact (that you wait to attach values for these professional skills when you get to the Skills step of Character Creation), is made thoroughly clear.

Step 6 (3.5): Talents

Crud, this wasn’t in my original plan, but as I go along I find I need to slip this in. I would move this up to Step 3.5 between Animal Abilities and Caste. Well let’s see here, I start off with sumthin like this.

Talents

Um, questing 1, what in the F-ing hell is a story point, I haven’t been given story points yet… Help me Joe, you are my only hope!

Well Joe doesn’t tell me, but some further research indicates these are basically XP, kind of. And it appears I spend ability points here as if they were story points. May want a bit of clarification here in the book.

Story Points are explained very thoroughly earlier on page 22 of the Basic Compendium, and should be something that you would have already read if you had read the "The Basics" (as well as all the basic rules that follow) before trying to create your character.

Hmnn,..I now see where you saw a reference to Story Points under Talents,..and what that sentence SHOULD HAVE SAID (and WILL say once I make the necessary changes in the text), "When increasing a Talent using Ability Points (or Story Points later when the game is under way), it costs...."

Overall I am happy with what I got from my animal template. Maybe 1 more point in Fast Reflexes. Also see I need to buy my Sir’hibas talent here. Better read that section closely.

Talents
    Fast Reflexes: 1 + 1 (2) = 2
    Sir’hibas: 1(8) + 2(2) + 3(3) + 4(4) = 4

Being a caster is expensive it seems. With great power comes great responsibility… maybe… great cost… absolutely.

Step 7: Skills

Woo, freebies. Always nice getting something for nothing.

(Skills listed here)

Seems like before even spending points I have choices to make, no worries there.

Hmm, I don’t see a language list readily apparent so I will just assume that the GM will tell me what I speak or that there is a common language we will use for now.

Yes,..this question has come up more than once, and indicates that I need to throw in a few sentences in the Language skill description pertaining to the fact that each nation on Dardunah has its own language, and that the generic trade-tongue (the common tongue, if you will) is Tishinian. Not all people know Tishinian (the language of Tishinia) mind you,..but enough do that it is often used internationally (like French was on earth, once,..and like English is, to some extent, now...)

OK, I am almost immediately lost. I don’t see anything labeled as a “Professional” Skill; I only see Performance, Craft, and Knowledge. Back to Joe’s document, ah I see now what to pick. This needs to be clarified in the book. Without someone explicitly telling me what this was, I would have only guessed what to pick here.

Yes indeedy,..this has come up before too.. Good input.. I'll be clarifying that in the final edition as well as in the Quick Character Creation Guide I'll be giving you all very soon.

Since there are 3 separate skill types, I am going to go ahead and break mine out into these, I am just that type of person, I like my lists nice and neat.

Performance

Craft

Knowledge
    Magic Rituals (1): 8
    Magic Rituals (2): 8

Umm,..it looks like you have your category listings confused... Things like Throw,.Dodge/Block,..etc... are actually Performance Skills. All the lores, languages, and knowledges and such should be Knowledge Skills.. And all the crafting and creation stuff should be Craft Skills...

Nice, things are starting to come together. Yes I was totally inspired by the little picture of the gun toting guy in my animal template picture. I am thinking Sky Pirate right now. Yarghhh! It’s my character I can do what I want…mostly. I also raised a few skills in the process. And at least I read before hand these are a 1:1 buy ratio.

– 2 - 2 - 5 – 2 = 13

Hmm, getting a bit low on these. Might have to come back and rethink a thing or 3. I get 2 magic rituals which are cool and I see I have to look in another book for that… will come back to that later.

Step 8: Advantages

Well technically Caste is supposed to go here, but I broke the rules bought it early and don’t see anything else worthwhile here. NEXT!

Hmnn,..I'd actually look closer at these things if I were you,..and really read their descriptions, as well as their fictional in-game examples. Advantages can be very powerful things when used in game-play, as they not only can provide dice that you get to sometimes add to rolls, but they also represent tangible and intangible assets that are at your character's disposal. You were saying before that you were lazy and wanted minions,..and assuming that your summoner realizes that it might be a bit too dangerous to keep demons, elementals, and other such potentially dangerous and frightening beings constantly in your company,..you would want to purchase Retainers as Advantages instead.

(Continued in next post by me...)
  • (Continued from my last post.....)

Step 9: Drawbacks

I get saddled with a few things from my template I see.
    Drawbacks

Crap, I don’t like absent minded, not what I wanted at all. Nocturnal is a whatever thing. I don’t see a way to get rid of these though. Is it possible to “un-buy” drawbacks given in an animal template?

Generally, no,..not unless the GM is an INCREDIBLY easy pushover. The Drawbacks on the Animal Template are deeply a part of the physiology of the animal it is based on. However,..do realize that you are trying to make this character by cobbling together stuff from inappropriate templates (not reccommended). You should instead consider the types of Drawbacks that a real fruitbat would have. Neither of these, I think, would apply to a fruitbat, since they are neither Nocturnal (unlike their smaller, insectivore cousins), nor particularly noted as being absent-minded. My advice would be to look up fruitbats online and see how they are described, making your choices based on such info.

May have to come back and take a few of these depending on what the rituals cost, a little worried about that still.

Step 10: Magic

Back to Joe’s advice read pg. 11 in the Magic book, will do…

Hmm after reading through that twice, I see I basically barely purchased enough Talent in Sir’hibas as can only have a number of rituals equal to ½ that rounded up and I get 2 of them in my skill set based on my profession. Not sure if this could be brought to anyone’s attention sooner, but there is a good chance that most people would have to go back and futz with their previous numbers by not realizing this before now.

The descrption of the Sir’hibas Talent, listed in the Talents Section, which you should have already read thoroughly earlier when you purchased your Talents, describes in detail ALL limitations and issues concerning this Talent, including how many rituals you may know. It's REALLY important to read the descriptions concerning all the things you buy for your character, as you decide to purchase them, so that you know the value and limitations of what you are getting.

Well I chose to be a summoner and I see there are basically 3 things I can summon, Demons, Suthra, and Elementals.

Since I am doing the whole sky pirate thing, YARGHHHH! , I am think my 2 rituals would be Summon Elemental Power and Command the Weather. Make the wind work for me as it were.

So it looks like I get the Disciplines, Elemental Attunement and Chant of Kirah for free.

Looking back I have 13 ability points left. Time to get some more rituals.

Passing the Veils of Dream: 1
    The Song of Vayu: 3
    Order and Form: 4
    Calling the Winds: 3
    Dismissing the Weather: 2

– 2 - 2 - 5 – 2 = 13 – 1 – 3 – 4 – 3 – 2 = 0

WOOO HOO I think I am almost done.

Yes indeed! All great choices. By the way,..what you were purchasing within the rituals are known as Disciplines. The two rituals themselves cost 2 Ability Points each, plus the cost of each of the Disciplines within each ritual that you want (those that don't come for free, that is). You don't have to buy ALL the Disciplines, as you saw, just the ones you desire,..but you must buy them separately for each ritual, even if the names of the Disciplines are the same in both (the logic here being that the same-named Discipline may have different effects depending on the Ritual they belong to).

Step 11: Character Summary

After all is said and done I wound up looking something like this.

Vajrah: Flying Rodent (Fruit Bat)

Characteristics
    VIG: 8
    AGI: 6
    DEX: 6
    PER: 8
    WIT: 8
    WIL: 8
    PRE: 5
    ESS: 8

Hit Points: (Vigor (8) + Will (8)) x 2 = 32

Animal Abilities
    Clinging: 5
    Keen Hearing: 8
    Silent Flight: 8
    Wide Peripheral: 6
    Gliding: 6
    Flight: 6
    Night Vision: 8

Caste: Sunborn
    Profession: Sir’hibas (Summoner)

Talents
    Fast Reflexes: 2
    Sir’hibas: 4

Performance

Craft

Knowledge
    Magic Rituals (Summon Elemental Power): 8
    Magic Rituals (Command the Weather): 8

Advantages
    None

Drawbacks

Disciplines
    Elemental Attunement: 0
    Chant of Kirah: 0
    Passing the Veils of Dream: -1
    The Song of Vayu: -3
    Order and Form: -4
    Calling the Winds: -3
    Dismissing the Weather: -2

Equipment

Apparently the GM gives me stuff, seems odd to me, but I can go with the flow.

Characters should assume (unless the GM tells them otherwise) that they may all start out possessing at least the items that would qualify as their basic "tools of the trade" for their profession. The Dardunah game is unlike most others in that it's not all "how many gold do I have to spend". If it suits the Story,..then the Gm should allow the characters to have whatever they need to hit the ground running, within reason. Coming up with what that stuff is, considering the exotic nature of the world, should be part of the fun. Get creative. For extra special stuff, though,..things that will have a more dramatic impact on the story,..such as flying mounts or demon servants, if a player wants to start off with those, they should purchase them as Advantages. Again, though,..this is the GM's discretion. If the whole campaign is based on the players being a part of some arial mounted police,..then the GM may rule that the all get to start out with them.

Also,..you noted Advantages as "None",..which is not true,..the Caste you purchased IS an Advantage,..and those Advantage dice for Caste may be used in addition to any roles that the GM decides may be affected by your Caste in a positive fashion, as can the dice represented by ANY Advantages....

Final Notes

I would modify my initial view of my preferred steps as follows

• Power Level
    • Animal Template -> Characteristics -> Animal Abilities -> Talents
    • Martial Styles and/or Magic Rituals

If someone much wiser than I could take a look through this and see if I made any glaring mistakes in the creation process that would be great. I hope that my little stroll through creation helps in some small way with streamlining the process for future generations of players.

For the most part you seemed to figure it out fairly well, with the exception of the things I noted,..many of which should be taken care of once I get my revisions done and given to you guys... Beyond that,..I must continue to reccommend that when in doubt,..read the pertinant section THOROUGHLY, since this playtest edition has a lot of valuable info imbedded within the sometimes lengthy paragraphs to be found in each step, or within the specific descriptions of the various Abilities and Tables. The hard part is taking the time to read all that,...I know,..which is why I'm working upon a simpler revised version. It will still, however, remain in the order that I find most appropriate, with the Story at the top,..and the things most appropriate to the Story following in order of importance.

Thanks again for the input!!

Scottie ^^
  • Thanks for going through all of this Scott. I probably should have added a bit more info somewhere and realize now many of the things I did were in haste and without much forethought, however doing it in this fashion was done on purpose. I was basically taking it from the point of view from a new player who without much guidance and thorough lack for convention would just dive in and go. Even with knowing the pitfalls I had in front of me due to others experience. I was really going for the “cool” factor. I most likely should have read the intro chapter over again as it had been some time since I had read it so of course skipped over it entirely when going through the process this time.

I am know in the process of going back and completely reading the books to get a better idea of the world overall and will probably post something very similar when creating another character once I am actually more immersed in the world.

Thanks for the bat template, much appreciated and I can’t believe that you have 90 of these waiting with an additional 90 more for later publication. How I told you lately how utterly cool and talented you are?

I would say that he majority of my errors simply came from not reading EVERTHING laid out before me, but you also mentioned that much of the crunch bits are laid out in the middle of long paragraphs and that you would be revising most of it anyway.

As far as buying the same named discipline from multiple rituals to get their differing abilities. Is that spelled out somewhere? Most likely it is, I just haven’t gotten to the second book in reading (re-reading with intent) yet.

Thanks again for such an interesting new world, hopefully you don’t think less of me for completely bastardizing some of your rules for my first “successful” creation attempt. Hopefully after this and reading the rules and yes going back to your preferred flow, my next one will be more polished and hopefully more in flavor with the world. But I will always enjoy my first attempts, gotta love those bat air pirates with big guns. :P
    ~Travis
  • Heh! The joy of this game is that,..even with following the rules perfectly,..there's STILL room for the awesome gun-totin' pirate bat!!!

I'm actually very glad that you flew off and tried to bend and break the rules on your first try. It tells me where the weaknesses are. What I was just saying to Joe on the phone, however, after he mentioned that a large percentage of games out there have a different paradigm for the order of character creation steps (which is why there has been such temptation to do it out of order); I then noted that my desire for Dardunah was to break such paradigms for the sake of emphasis on Story. But,..I also mentioned that 100% of the games out there also have a set of rules that,..if not followed, cause the game to become broken in some way. That set of rules, for Dardunah, dictate a specific order of Character Creation that (though filled with some flaws and vagueness) are tailored to NOT break the Character you are trying to make, while maintaining story emphasis. Now I just need to work on making these rules clear enough (sigh),..a big task indeed!

The main lesson here is, try to follow the rules as best you can, read them through thoroughly, and then let me know what didn't seem to work. So far,..thanks to the input from all of you,..things are starting to get better!

Scottie ^^