ReaperWolf's Shard event at KublaCon 2017...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ReaperWolf's Shard event at KublaCon 2017...

Ya heard right, I'm leading an expedition to Dardunah in a few months:

kublacon.com/

The con runs May 26th - May 29th.

Chains of Wonders

Shard/Dárdünah: World of the False Dawn

SUN, 08:00 PM – 12:00 AM

A flying island and vile tyrant's palace, a prison of wonders cursed to
      drift on elemental winds till the end of time; a grim but beautiful
      example of the folly of vanity and greed. Many have tried in vain to set
      foot on the island, most give up while others have their ships smashed
      to kindling on the jagged cliffs. Peril and riches await the crafty and
      courageous.

"Welcome traveler to Dárdünah: World of the False Dawn. Indulge your
      taste for the exotic as you play a Janah: an anthropomorphic animal on
      an alien world woven from the rich tapestry of Indian & Arabian
      mythology. Prizes generously provided by the fine folks at Shard
      Studios."

The post was edited 1 time, last by ReaperWolf ().

• I would also like to find out how you managed the time per demo, specifically were you able to run them successfully within a few hours or were some of them left as cliff hangers to inspire potential new players to revisit this wonderful game. For myself I have struggled with time management and frequently use the cliff hanger method to revisit a module at a later date. Lastly as game masters any information we can share with one another which helps us all to facilitate the demo games in the most effective manner possible and allow us to offer the experience to more potential fans and supporters would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing more from you in the near future, as we bring excitement from the world of the false dawn.
    • Ohhh,...you know what,...we assumed it was already over because of the way the forum made the post look... The way it displays it at the top it says "ReaperWolf's Shard event at KublaCon 2017...Apr 13th 2017".... I guess that's just the forum showing your title, followed by the date you must have made the post...

Ooops,...sorry for the misunderstanding!

Scottie ^^
    • So to clarify even further, folks (since our forum's posting date makes it look like it's the date of the convention), the actual date of KublaCon as REaperWolf mentioned is Memorial Day Weekend, May 26-29, 2017 at the Hyatt Regency SFO.... Check out the convention's website for more info!

Let us know how things go ReaperWolf! As you can tell we look forward to hearing about it!

Scottie ^^
    • Mattroidprime wrote:

Mind, the characters were pregenerated, so I only had 1/6th of a say in what to choose, but to Wolf's credit only one cat was present. Our Mistress was a wolf, but we had quite the cross section of species in our little coterie.

Excellent! I'm glad you had fun!!! Hopefully ReaperWolf will be giving us the low-down on the adventure itself sometime soon! I love hearing how these things play themselves out at conventions!

Scottie ^^
    • Oh goodness, a few months behind I'm afraid.

My first KublaCon was a real lesson in learning. Get your events in early cubs! The slots filled up quickly so it was a bear getting my events into the Fri - Monday schedule. Yikes!

I'm planning a return April 1st so I'd better get a brief recap posted, huh?

Ok my events were well attended Friday night 8 PM - 12 AM. Now this slot is challenging 'cuz we had to pack up and head down a few blocks to the hotel. Lesson learned. This year we've got a room in the attached hotel. Also I'd prefer 7 PM - 11 PM so I can packup and hit the hay.

I had all 6 seats full right off the bat, and had a few interested persons watching on. We lucked out and had a hotel room to ourselves. You read that right, the convention rents large hotel rooms for games. This can be a problem if you have busy slots 'cuz you could have two other games so lots of noise shoulder to shoulder play.

The players were very enthusiastic about exploring Dardunah and liked the flexibility of the system. I deviated from the script by abandoning the adventure after the PCs really dug into unmasking the schemer behind the attempted assassination of their Liege-Lady. I figured I'd go with it instead of forcing the PCs back on course. No biggie.

The PCs really enjoyed setting up a rapid counter-ambush to intercept and neutralize the assassins fleeing across rooftops, through gardens and courtyards, and culminating in a wicked and brutal exchange on an under-repair aqueduct surrounded by a maze of scaffolding. Good times.

The mastermind behind the assassination was a visiting Sarpah dignitary who the PCs chased onto the skydocks and were in mid-pursuit when we ran out of time.

This year I'm going in better prepared. It's rare I have a full table so all those actions and reactions can seriously chew through time. I'll likely use a set number of actions based upon an average roll to cut down on the high variability. I may do likewise with initiative using the set value as maximum to cut down on the number of rolls. I'm thinking about visual methods allowing the Players to more easily track their combat progress. I've found players view the combat sheet as homework and rarely use it so I'm wondering if a single 3x5 notecard per combat would work better. I'm exploring it.

Deadline for 2018 events is April 1st, I'm planning to run one event on schedule and possibly others in the open gaming area. I'll schedule four games this year but I'll be very careful what I schedule for Monday AM if anything at all. A lot of very ornery and tired players showed up for my Atlantis The Second Age game. Lesson learned, I'll run Hollow Earth Expedition Sunday 10 AM - 2 PM maybe.

This years Shard adventure is still coming together. Will post it sometime this weekend after I submit my events.

Well that's it for now. Sorry for the long delay. Work, life, hobbies, etc. all conspired against a timely con recap.

I'll do better this year!

Happy New Year!

>>ReaperWolf
    • An excellent recap, my friend!!! Sounds like the players were really into it if they essentially hijacked the prepared storyline to chase down the assassin!

Thanks so much for running that scenario for them! I'm so sorry time ran out for you guys while running it, because it sounds like it was leading to a really awesome climax! The battle on the under-repair aqueduct with all the scaffolding sounds incredible!

Man,...I wish I had the opportunity to run some combats with you side-by-side, so that I could share some of the methods I use (which I take for granted after all these years of running it) that provide better speed for combat... But truthfully, even now, as with many games, combat takes more time to mechanically enact than we want it to,...and with Shard, the addition of Reactions for the sake of "smoother" flow of actions also causes a slower flow of time needed than most folks might want... ^^

Perhaps, once you have a chance, I could collaborate with you again to produce another mini-adventure Yatra from the scenario you created for last year's KublaCon... That first one turned out really nicely, and judging by your description of how you designed this one, I'm betting it would be great as well!

Anyway,...thanks, again, my friend, for keeping the torch burning!

Scottie ^^
    • Scott Jones wrote:

Perhaps, once you have a chance, I could collaborate with you again to produce another mini-adventure Yatra from the scenario you created for last year's KublaCon... That first one turned out really nicely, and judging by your description of how you designed this one, I'm betting it would be great as well!

Thanks Scottie!

Yeah, I'd love to work with you again on another Yatra. I have another 3-4 small en-route style encounter/adventures.

I'd like to feature new content in every yatra, maybe a new critter each time?

I'm up to my eyeballs this week, but next weekend I should be free to write a few pages. Let me know what works for your schedule.

>>ReaperWolf