Dardunah Naming Conventions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dardunah Naming Conventions

A few nights ago I was describing Shard to my younger sister, and while describing the naming conventions to her 'I am X of house of Y' She asked about weather naming was matrilineal or patrilineal she noted if it was based upon India it should be patrilineal. I said I didn't know as Dardunah seemed fairly equal opportunity between the sexes, my Sister as a student of Anthropology found this not making sense
    • HELLO THERE! Sorry I have been away for a moment, There were some pressing family issues I needed to attend to.... But things are returning to normal and I should be here more frequently for the time being...
      In regards to your posting above and the question it contains I will answer it in the following way..... The world of SHARD is very much equal between the sexes, meaning that a female character is equally able to hold property and titles to their male counterparts....(not to mention female characters would also be free to choose any profession they desire without the limits which would be placed upon them were the world of SHARD an exact duplicate of the cultures it uses to draw its influences from) this concept of equality is made quite clear on page 139-140 of the BASIC COMPENDIUM in the section titled " NOBLE " ...... as you will see most of these titles can apply equally to either male or female characters and in the world of SHARD.... Keep in mind that the cultural paradigms are greatly influenced by India but are also not just taken from India but also features an elaborate mixture of aspects of Egyptian, Arabian, Persian, Napalese, Northern African, Ethiopian, Turkey, Mongolian, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indonesia and a others Asian cultures which are merged together in various quantities and fashions to produce uniquely beautiful hybrid cultures for this world alone... and while it is fitting to use the examples of the cultures of this world in an attempt to convey the general feel of the many different regions in the world of SHARD, for the sake of providing assistance to the GAME MASTERS imagination.....It should be equally noted that the cultures of this world can and do combine certain aspects while utterly ignoring other aspects of the cultural paradigms to suit the needs of the animals which form the general population of the world itself....The animal behaviors, traits and abilities are as much a factor for this world as the cultures themselves....Take for example that in many animal kingdoms it is the females which lead the groups, such as Elephants and Hyena, and not the males, therefore this reality is as much molded and shaped by these facts as it is by the cultures which it borrows its foundations from, before ultimately of the span of many hundreds of thousands of years manifesting a creation which can only be described as incredibly varied , multi-leveled and wonderfully complex. Throw in the fact that certain regions may be non-binary with regard to sexuality as a whole and you begin to grasp the true degree that this world is able to view, accept and deal with deeper issues than one might typically find within the scope of an RPG. So to answer your question the best way possible the name of a house could be based upon either a male or a female depending upon which of the two was the highest ranking NOBLE with the clearest claim to the TITLE....