Mind Control-Brain Puppets

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mind Control-Brain Puppets

So...The term 'Brain Puppet' was taken from an episode of Static Shock where the villain of the day had the power had the power to read and control people's minds causing them to act like mindless zombies

What I'm talking about is slightly different...What I'm thinking about is the possibility of a Mortal Janah Sir'hibas not a demon or a ghost but a living mage could basically gain complete control over another Janah to become like a chess piece or more aptly like a video game avatar to accomplish things and the one they possessed would take the heat for it.

The reason I ask is because it will become a fundamental question in future fanfics where one of my OCs a 'Humanimal' who has been a villain for most of my stories becomes completely possessed by her utterly evil witch Mother and while her Mother is possessing her...This character....I will try to put this as delicately as I can for this forum...Has her way with a Ninja Turtle (I won't reveal which one) For the purpose of sucking his life energy for power basically acting like a succubus

When the fact she was possessed when she did this abhorrent act...That it wasn't her in the Driver's Seat that time it was her Mother...It raises some important questions about mind control and where that would fit unto law

Could a similar thing be done in Dardunah...Because in another story Janah will meet the Turtles and Humanimals and what would they think of such a case?
    • I attempted to respond to this last night but TIME WARNER CABLE crashed and prevented me from posting while causing me to loose everything I had written...
      So I will attempt to do so again and with any luck I will be successful.... Here goes....

There are a number of ways in the world of SHARD that what you are asking about could be achieved…. Most of these ways are available to the users of specific magic disciplines, which I will take a few minutes to demonstrate and explain how such feats would be achieved by a character with the skill and ruthlessness to execute this act…

Let us first look at the RITUAL of DREAM WALKING… With the ritual of DREAM WALKING one is able to do what you have described and more… The process to achieve results would be as follows…

First the DREAMWALKER would need to prepare for the RITUAL by drawing out the sigils, burning incense and entering into deep meditation…

Next the caster would need to use the DISCIPLINE known as… PASSING THE VEILS OF DREAM… With this, the most basic of Disciplines for a Dream walker, the caster parts the veils of dream and is able to spiritually enter into the DREAM while leaving his or her body behind in the ritual chamber…

Next the DREAMWALKER would use the Discipline known as CREATING ILLUSIONS AND CHANGING THE DREAM ENVIROMENMENT… This Discipline would need to be used at least twice, first to create an illusion of a maze or some type of trap capable of holding the spirit of the victim and secondly to change the environment of the DREAM and make the illusion real for his purposes…

After this, the caster would be able to move on to the next step, which would be to use the Discipline known as SEEING THE PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE, to look into the area where the victim may be located, if the victim is not there, the caster can essentially search different locations until the victim is found… Usually knowing the name of a person and having any thing which can represent the victim is enough to locate anyone the caster knows, or has seen before…

After this is done the caster would then use the Discipline…BRINGING OTHERS INTO THE DREAM… With a few contested rolls the caster would be able to bring another persons spirit into the DREAM to control them or attack them in some way… It is important to mention that most often the victim needs to be either resting, asleep, unconscious, in mediation, or in some cases under the influence of powerful drugs or alcoholic drinks for this to be actively used against them… This is true in all but the most extraordinary situations, although there are exceptions which might be allowed depending upon legendary success rolls or terrible rolls on behalf of the character being targeted by this magic…

Once the victim is brought into the DREAM, the caster would then be able to either use ATTACKING/DEFENDING IN THE DREAM to reduce the spiritual stamina of the victim or possibly torment them with horrible Illusions or simply casting the last Discipline known as CAPTURING ANOTHER’S DUHAMA IN THE DREAM… With this the caster essentially would spring the trap he had previously created and trap the victims spirit within the realm of the dreams leaving the body in a coma, essentially vacant for either the caster or some other entity to inhabit and control, or simply leave the body to eventually wither and die… Since being without spirit will cause damage to occur at the rate of one STAMINA point per day the body is uninhabited even if it is force feed by others in the real world attempting to care for it, who may not be aware of the cause for the coma…

This is but one way the magic in the world of SHARD can be used to achieve the effect you described above, know that there are other methods to achieve the same thing as you will soon be able to see within the pages of the MAGIC AND MARTIAL ARTS GUIDE! Which is soon to be published!!!

One other potential way would be to use the Ritual of SUMMONING :evil: .... and some of the unique DISCIPLINES which it has to offer.... but I do not want to spoil all the fun you will have by exposing too much so once you have read the new book we can talk more on this subject>>>>
    • Man...Time Warner can be a real jerk also I had another aspect of the question...If a Janah posses another Janah and does so to commit crimes...Releasing the original inhibitor of the body from the dream trap specifically to take the heat for what they sir'hibas did while inhabiting the victim's body...Could the Dardunah Legal System determine the Victim, 'Not Guilty by reasons of possession'

The post was edited 1 time, last by Teenage Mutant Sarpah ().

• That’s right, the world of Dardunah does have many different legal systems and many different cultures the same as the world we all live in today, some are more lenient and some are harsher, some are more sympathetic and some are less. So the best answer to the question would be that the victim would need to be able to prove that they are innocent. The ability to confront Law Speakers (SHARD’S version of lawyers and prosecutors) might require resources and money that the accused does not have the ability to procure; in much the same way that many innocent people are wrongfully convicted in our own country the same would be possible in Dárdüni courts. I would say that having the right CASTE might be helpful, as might having ADVANTAGES such as ASSETS, CONTACTS, FOLLOWERS, INFLUENCE, and STATUS.

ASSETS such as access to money, property ownership, a business, stronghold, uncommon beauty or even the ability to produce rare commodities would be factors which might be able to persuade the courts to rule in the favor of the character.

CONTACTS would also play a significant role in determining if a character would or could be given the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of the law… consider that:
      • A moderate value contact could have access to a specific resource, low magical, martial or other ability.
      • A significant value contact would have access to a handful of resources, minor political influence talented magical, marital or other skills and abilities.
      • A great value contact would have access to a large number of resources, major political influence, heroic magical, martial or other skills and abilities.
      • An amazing value contact would have access to vast resources, incredible political influence, legendary magical, martial or other skills and abilities.
      Having such contacts might allow the character to have access to many different avenues for avoiding being jailed or having the reputation of themselves or their families tarnished by a crime. If one can afford the best defenses both legal or magical then it would be difficult to hold them responsible or even to attempt to frame them for a crime they did not commit.

FOLLOWERS could be used to testify on the behalf of the character and possibly sway the judgment of the courts depending upon the amount of points invested in the followers, the number of followers and their particular skills, abilities and loyalty.

INFLUENCE grants a character a certain amount of direct political or social power which can mean clout, sway, pull, weight, or leverage which could be used to alter the behavior of those it impacts in some manner or another.

STATUS can also serve to place the very interpretation of the law itself within the domain of the character or someone in his close relationship and allow situations to be over looked for the sake of the honor of a particular house, noble line or country. Not to mention that having the HOLYCASTE or HIGH CASTE automatically grants rights and considerations which few TRADE CASTE and no one with out CASTE to be worthy of ever receiving .

All these things in addition to the characters own skills and abilities would be important factors to consider before determining if the character is able to avoid being unjustly convicted due to someone else’s possession of their bodies in the world of SHARD. Strange things happen in all societies so this is by no means a definite rule of thumb but it should be taken into account for all but the most unusually circumstances...
    • Of course the character in question isn't a Janah she is a Humanimal and Humanimals have their own unique culture Humanimals are similar to Cordwainer Smith's Underpeople in that they are the animal derived serfs/slaves of Humanity in a space faring future. (So many things about that sentence would leave a Janah's Blood running cold) When Si'Ni finally meets the Space Faring Humanimals and Modern Day Mutants on Earth 6 her judgement will be her unique judgement based upon her unique way of thinking but I did feel the need to ask what 'Normal' Janah would think of such a situation. Before Si'Ni leaves Dardunah 2 months after her return, she leaves for her family to find pages and pages of what she experienced with the Earthlings and the stories they told her about things they had done and when Si'Ni recounts the story of this crime she gives multiple warnings for the readers that 'This story is really scary and morally disgusting but I am obligated in the name of the truth to recount it exactly as it was reported to me' Janah quip 'It's enough to make a pirate blush'
    • Well, for the sake of the world of Dárdünah, certainly, Griffin has laid out the specifics and particulars quite well, and has provided at least a basis by which you could imagine all these events transpiring for the sake of someone's campaign storyline... And remember, of course, that even testimony in a magistrate's court concerning magic would be highly questionable in most cases, except under the circumstances where, as Griffin mentioned, those being questioned had very powerful contacts and allies...

Imagine that, for instance, a sir'hibas Seer, who had seen a vision of one jánah murdering another, attempted to accuse that jánah of the murder as a witness in some urban Dárdüni court of law... Unless that Seer was someone of great renown and respect, with powerful allies at court,...their testimony may not necessarily be taken at face value... After all, anyone could lie about having seen a "vision" that conveniently pinpointed someone as a criminal... That particular Seer's reputation (as a result of having many of the Advantages Griffin mentioned) would need to be something remarkable to have a jury and judge believe them.

Of course, under those same circumstances, if instead you're dealing with the country justice of some small village out in the Dárdünah "boondocks", the simple testimony of a local Seer might easily be enough to get some traveling jánah stranger accused of murder stoned to death without a second thought...

Now, reverse the situation and imagine a jánah accused of some terrible crime attempting to claim that it wasn't actually him that did it, but instead some sorcerer who took over his body who did the ghastly deed... They would REALLY have to work hard to find proof for that type of thing if attempting to show their innocence in some large city's court of law... And yet, in some small, superstitious village out in the wild-lands, tales of evil sir'hibasi "possessing" the minds of others may just be enough to get some poor old villager burned at the stake!

In Dárdünah, such circumstances are all about the particular context of the event, and whether your GM believes that creating such drama, one way or the other, will create a cool storyline that the characters can be involved in...

As Griffin said, there will be a LOT more details about this kind of thing appearing in the World Guide! And for some extra good news, we've just finished editing and laying out all content for the Magic and Martial Arts book! We are, as of last night, CONTENT COMPLETE!!!!! We're doing one final read-through now as a spot-check for last second error fixes, while waiting to hear back from the printers we've chosen, and once we get our final quote for the costs, we'll be sending it off to get printed!!! Within about 12 weeks, the newest hard-cover book will finally be available! In addition, as soon as we can, we'll prepare the Downloadable PDF of Magic and Martial Arts to be purchased even earlier than that! We're SO excited about what this new year will bring!

Scottie ^^
    • While I didn't want to spoil this detail before, I feel I will divulge it now because...I would like advice handling the delicate topic of how to write about rape and sexual assault from the various writers on this forum, so the Villainess Morgan a Black Mamba Humanimal in the story 'Donatello's Wedding disguises herself as Donatello's fiance an Asiatic Dragon Humanimal Belladonna Starchild and before the wedding night she violently has her way with a Ninja Turtle stealing his Ki Energy along with his seed to power her magic and also putting him in a trance to ensure his compliance
      But once again for this what would be her most heinous crime Morgan's personality is suppressed, at this point in the story she is possessed by her even more evil Mom Ceridwen

Wonder what the average Janah would think of that doozy of a story when they hear it
    • Hey there! Since this thread was essentially a launching point for the discussion of the "Humanimal" fan fiction you mentioned in the initial post as well as your last response, we've realized we needed to move it to our "Off-Topic Discussions" section of the forums so that it could continue as desired without getting mixed in with the specifically exclusive "SHARD Magic" threads...

Whereas we think the creative outlet of fan fiction is excellent, and certainly encourage creative writing of all kinds, making sure other IPs' specific identities, characters, situations, and other details remain separate from the Shard IP's offerings is really important not only for the intellectual property itself, but for the sake of not sending mixed signals to those going to specific parts of the forums in search of Dárdünah-exclusive lore, rules, and core data.

As to the specific subjects pertaining to things such as physical assault in its various forms; beyond the information we may be offering in the upcoming World Guide concerning punishments for such terrible crimes, those of us attempting to represent and promote the Shard RPG are going to go the route of stepping back from any participation in discussions pertaining to writing about particular events or scenarios regarding such crimes, for the sake of preserving the "family friendly PG-13" atmosphere you often hear me talking about...

For those not directly working with or for Shard Studios, feel free to continue this discussion offering writing tips, fiction ideas, and any other advice that might add to this off-topic conversation... It's always great to have folks of similar creative and artistic interests involved in brain-storming... We'll continue moderating such discussions, of course, we just ask that you consider the "Rules to Post By" (especially #1) in our Forum Rules section to help make sure the content remains acceptable...

Thanks so much!

Scottie ^^