New player introduced at Further Confusion 2019

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New player introduced at Further Confusion 2019

Hello! I'm Zlatohrbitek, an attendee of Further Confusion 2019 who learned about Shard yesterday from the Dealer's Den at Further Confusion. My partner Tserisa and I were immediately impressed enough by the mechanics, the gorgeous art, and the representatives of the game at the table to buy the two core books right away and sign up for a playtest last night.

I was the fox who played Dastánah the mockingbird, and sang "Sitar Man" for a crowded inn; Tser was the dragon who played Gramír the wolf, and unhorsed nine of ten chinti-riding bandits with one action.

We agreed the game was stupendous; I found it instantly riveting, immersive, and vivid, with quick-to-grasp but flexible mechanics which allowed all the characters huge selections of actions and freedom to affect the course of encounters. I thank all our fellow players and especially the two GMs.

Also, I noticed the GMs' Ultima IX-branded bag and instantly turned into a raving fanboy; Ultimas IV through VII in particular probably shaped me more than any other computer games (only the TSR Gold Box series could possibly contend, and I think the Ultimas win). Remarkably, I had been babbling to Tser just the day before we saw the Shard table about the intricate, interconnected system of principles, virtues, keeps, cities, dungeons, character classes, and colors (so rich, and yet so regular that they can all be recalled from their representations as three-digit binary numbers -- those Ultimas were "programmer's games" more than any others that I've ever played!), and the magic system so logically built from combining words (one for each letter of the alphabet) and reagents (again there were 8, AKA 2^3) each with their own meanings and properties into spells that exhibit those properties that I remember most of it (at least the words and reagents, and often I can reconstruct individual spells) more than twenty years after I last regularly played.
    • I also found out about the game at FC this year, had a very enjoyable session with everyone before I picked up the books myself.

Hopefully you got everything you were after, they had managed to sell out of the maps before the last day.
      I ran Valnerah the Seer and helped guide the party through a dreamwalk to let us find where the accursed toad was hiding..

I am glad you liked the bone dice that I was using, I wish I could name off the vendor I got them from but that was done over a decade ago at a Ren Fair.

I look forward to hearing when things arrive back in stock, and am going to try finding a group to play locally once I am more familiar with the rules.
    • Zlatohrbitek wrote:

Hello! I'm Zlatohrbitek, an attendee of Further Confusion 2019 who learned about Shard yesterday from the Dealer's Den at Further Confusion. My partner Tserisa and I were immediately impressed enough by the mechanics, the gorgeous art, and the representatives of the game at the table to buy the two core books right away and sign up for a playtest last night.
      Hello there, Zlatohrbitek! I'm the fellow that commented on your badge drawn by Summer Jackel. It was great meeting both you and Tserisa at the table. We're grateful for your interest in the Shard RPG and quite glad you enjoyed the demo. I wish I could have been there to watch. We look forward to hearing about what you do with the RPG, the characters you make and campaigns you play in. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask here on the board.

Welcome.
    • Hello and greetings to you all!!!

Those were some awesome gaming sessions you all were a part of, and now that you have the books, don't hesitate to ask if you want to know more, or if you find something confusing...

And, absolutely I'll let folks know when we have more maps and dice available... Now that the convention is over, we'll be taking stock of everything, and making new product orders ASAP!

Thanks again Zlatohrbitek, Tserisa, and SunderedShadow!