Basic book should include martial arts/magic.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Basic book should include martial arts/magic.

I left this out of my massive deluge on Scott after our game the other night, but I feel pretty strongly that the basic book should include both the martial arts rules and the magic rules. Why?

1. Honestly, how many people are going to want to play the game and NOT want martial arts? You're forcing people to buy two books just to play the basic game, or make their character.

2. You describe sihribasi (spelling, bah) but you cannot make one at ALL without the magic rules. This means you can't even make a basic character without that added book.

You want to make it as easy as possible for people to buy the book and get started. I know more books = more revenue stream, but it's (I think) going to really shoot you in the foot - suck up the additional cost and fold the magic/martial arts rules into the basic book. It really should be there.

Added books should be added flavor that would be nice, but isn't required. Required material shouldn't be spread out across two books.
  • I'm to blame...

I agree with what Matt is saying. He and I were talking at lunch today about this and I was the one who mentioned that there was no way to play a Sir’hibas without the specific Disciplines.
    I was incorrect, you can just have a generic Sir’hibas skill just like you can have a generic Martial Arts skill with no Muli-Maneuvers.
    Having said that, I do think that there needs to be a small sample of Martial Arts Styles/Multi Maneuvers in the Basic Compendium so that folks can get a good idea of how they differ (and how gameplay would differ), and to know what they are missing out on!
    Same story with the Sir’hibas Disciplines. I noticed while looking for the part that explains how you can be a Sir’hibas without specific Disciplines, that flavor text detailing what the Dream is, passing through the Veils, etc... Is missing (to a degree in which I think it is needed) from the Basic Compendium.
    As a new player to the system-formally-known-as-Dardunah, I would be disapointed and left feeling a little cheated with the lack of information about the Dream and what it is like for me there as a Sir’hibas.
    -Joe F.

The post was edited 2 times, last by joe ().

• RE: Hmnn,..let me consider...

Hey guys! You are correct, Joe, to recognize that it is possible to play those with magic and martial arts without having the other book. In fact,..my group did it for YEARS before I decided to develop all the expansion information and rules that surround both of these different things.

It pretty much all comes down to whether the player decides to use the "basic" rules, or the "complex" rules. For those who do not wish to use the complex rules for either, there really is no "need" to buy the Magic and Martial Arts book.

However,..I DO agree that I need to consider giving a little more pertinent info in the Basic Compendium concerning the specific fiction surrounding the Dream, and perhaps a little bit of info pertaining to both the Edge of Heaven, and the Swirling Hells of Narákah, and how these mystic places relate to the use of magic in the world, even as a general reference for the "basic" rules.

The idea of having only four rituals within the "basic" rules (one for each "type" if sir'hibas) is to keep it simple, and to make sure that it remained as "free-formed" as the player and the GM wanted to make it (i.e. without all the "bells and whistles" of the "complex" rules,..but ALSO without all their specific constraints). This leaves the "basic" rules to create situations that can surprise the player every time, simply because the GM has the freedom to interpret the players' successes and failures in any way they see fit, as I did for years before the "complex" rules were even made up.

But if you guys are feeling a "lack",..that is an indication that I need to clarify the mechanics of "basic" martial arts and magic a bit more clearly in the Basic Compendium, and provide a little more fiction and functional examples concerning their use in the game...

Thanks for the input!!!

Scottie ^^