Table of Contents

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Table of Contents

This is more of a formatting issue than grammar or spelling, but this seems to be the best section to toss this in. Unfortunately I haven't had nearly the time I had hoped to read through the books so far, but the first thing I noticed was the formatting of the table of contents. I found them a bit cumbersome to navigate. The page numbers are generally bunched up with the text or are wrapped to the line following the text. I guess my preference for this area would be to have a more "columnized" presentation with the headings on the left and the page numbers on the right, possible in a slightly smaller font to avoid the wrapping issues.
    ~Travis
  • RE: Table of Contents

I tend to agree. Of all the things in these playtest editions, the most hastily assembled was both the Table of Contents, as well as the Index of each of the books. Both myself and Joe Kentspeth, the fellow who helped me pull the books together for this final push toward playtest, were less than happy with the outcome of these, but were forced to whip 'em out fast, at the last minute, just to get them done and get these things to the printer... Our plan will be to re-visit them in the next four months, and see if we can give them the visual polish and accuracy they deserve. In the mean-time, please forgive their weaknesses (though feel free to point them out, in case there's something you want to make sure we attend to when we remake them from scratch), and simply know that WE know they do indeed currently suck, and MUST be fixed before final publish version.

As an aside,..and because I want this thread to hang around as a reminder, I'm moving it to the Basic Rules section of the Forum.

Scottie ^^
  • Sigerith is TOTALLY right!

Wow, I hadn't really looked at the TOC before. Boy-howdy, Sigerith is DEAD-ON about this. I'n glad to hear that changes are on the way. In a related inquiry, Is there a full Index in all three books allready or is one in the making? In many other rulebooks I have found the Index to be invaluable.
    "Daggra" means "Enemy" in Tibetan.
    "Chora" means "Thief" in Sanskrit.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghorüm ().

• RE: Sigerith is TOTALLY right!

As to your question concerning the Index in each of the books: Yes indeed there is an Index in each book, referring to the book itself (as opposed to pointing to the other books as well). As to the quality of each of the Indexes, as mentioned above, they were created in haste, at the last minute, and thus you may find them just as useless as some of the other RPG game-book Indexes you have had the displeasure of trying to reference in the past. I won't deny it (and neither will Joe, who made them), they CERTAINLY will need to be remade before final publish.

Feel free to give input as to specific wishes of functionality later, as you begin to try to use them. There are many different methods, it seems, of creating an Index, none of which can please everyone, from choosing to reference only certain things in particular ways, either by making it simple (yet less effective), or truly phone-book-like (with more complex references, but hard to slog through). A good balance will need to be found, so as not to bloat the rear end of the books too much...

Scottie ^^
  • RE: Oh, I see.

Alrighty!!!

I just got finished reparing the layout and content of the Index of all three books!

Similar to the Table of Contents for the books, it should be much easier to look at and use. It follows an index paradigm of alphabetized headings and sub-headings, with references to other areas of the index in cases of repetition or additional association.

This will all appear in the playtest versions, if all goes well,..and certainly in the final..

Scottie ^^