Yet Another Intro Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yet Another Intro Thread

Salutations, ladies and gentlemen! I apologize in advance for not really participating in a lot of internet forums, and therefore feeling rather uncomfortable introducing myself like this. I suppose I'm just going to use the other posts here as a guideline.

I was fortunate enough to pick up one of the last core books available at Anthrocon and although I was not able to actually participate in any of the demos there I did get the opportunity to sit in and watch part of one. I've been mostly impressed with both the system and the setting of the game and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Since I don't have much of a social network I've never really gotten a chance to participate in any kind of role-playing, but I've read books and I try to be familiar with some role-playing concepts. Hopefully that will be enough to help out a little bit.

Speaking of which, I noticed the bit in the forum rules about critiquing. Similar to the phrase "Those that can't do, teach"-lacking any real talent myself I just like to talk about what other people have created. I'm sorry if it becomes too annoying.

Continuing on that note normally I'm hesitant to create new threads but since it seems like the forums could use some activity I'm going to try and make a new thread whenever I come across a new topic to discuss, if that's okay. I'll try to keep everything in line the best I can, though I'm not entirely sure about all of the forum guidelines, e.g: it's fantastic to see the new forms up in the download-able content but seeing the Zoic templates there did raise some questions about creating them and I'm not entirely sure where they should go (Basic Compendium Discussion, perhaps?)

Likewise, I didn't see a board for discussion about the forums themselves, but I did have a couple of concerns. First of all, although it's really not so much of a problem currently since the book hasn't hit public store shelves yet, but right now no one can view anything on the forums without registering. Registration is pretty much always required to post, but since there are some people who don't like to enter information to register if the forums stay this way people will miss out on the downloads and erratas (not to mention the discussion) on the boards.

Also, I don't mean any offense but these forums are the only ones I've ever seen to have a reverse thread priority. That is to say, the newest thread is at the bottom instead of the top. that means when a new person first sees the boards, they're looking at threads from years ago. I've never seen a forum work like that before, and I couldn't find any options to change it. If it is a alternate setting I do think it should be changed ASAP.

Anyways, it was great to get the opportunity to read the book and see part of a demo. I really glad you guys could make it to Anthrocon. Thanks a lot for signing my book, Mr. Scott Jones, and good luck with everything you guys! ^^
    • RE: Yet Another Intro Thread

Hello there Basque! Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you weren't able to actually play in one of the demos, but I'm certainly glad you had the chance to sit in on one for a little bit...

Wow! You were one of the folks who happened to be there right when I suddenly sold the last four of the books at the same time (plus my personal copy I dragged out from under the table for that fellow who wanted to buy two)... We really wished we could have gotten more to sell there,...and we were so sorry some folks weren't able to grab a copy, but hopefully, if all goes well, our printer will come through for us once again and get us all the rest of our product to us before Gen Con!

As far as critiquing goes,...I'm sure you'll be great as long as you stay civil... That's really all it takes, honestly... A critique here and there is good to help folks get better at what they do!

We ended up taking the Blank Zoic Templates download sheet off the free downloads area simply because it seemed redundant considering that it's in our Convenience pack as well as in the Basic Compendium itself, but absolutely if you have any questions concerning making new Zoics and Animal Templates (and the section at the back of the rulebook pertaining to it) please feel free to create a thread in the Basic Compendium Discussion section. We'll answer in any way we can!

As far as needing to register on the forums to view them, that's still an "up in the air" discussion topic that we have yet to make a final decision on. When creating the forum originally for play-testers, I insisted on manually approving anyone attempting to use the site (since it was only for play-testers at the time), but since switching to a public forum after the game went "live", I set it to auto allow people in as long as they at least registered. If we decide to let people roam freely without registering, then I just need to see if I can get my tech-friend to help me set it up that way...

Oh,...and thanks for the head's up on the "reverse thread priority" thing... That was a setting that I had long ago personally set up on my own computer, but had failed to properly set on the forum's default... It should display correctly now (I'm sorta new at this whole "forum administrator" thing, even though I set this thing all up with some help). The options to change it individually for those that DO want "ascending order" instead of the "descending order" that you are used to, can find that option at the bottom of the page for any threads... (This is what I set mine with personally long ago, without realizing that the forum default was still set to "ascending" for everyone else...) Sorry about that...but like I said, hopefully it's fixed now...

Thanks again for grabbing our book, Basque,...and thanks for your suggestions! We really hope you love the game!

Scottie ^^
    • RE: Yet Another Intro Thread

Hello again!

After discussing it we decided to go ahead with your suggestion to allow guests to see the forum and its content without having to be registered...

After speaking to our friend who helped us set the forum up,...this is now taken care of!

You can now browse the forums without being registered, but you still have to register to make posts and start threads...

Thanks again for the input!

Scottie ^^