Public Places

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Public Places

What sort of gathering spots are common on Dardunah? I know that the bazaar is always a good start, but what's the Dardunan equivalent of, say, (that classic fantasy roleplay mainstay) a tavern? Are there other good, well-known kinds of places where players might go to gather information, find companions, or just kick back and relax?
    • RE: Public Places

There are a few Darduni equivalents of a tavern:

A tea house is essentially like a restaurant that specializes in serving various herbal teas and spirits of different kinds. They also offer food, mostly lighter finger foods. Think of it like a modern day cafe. You can also rent special smoking rooms and hookahs to try the various types of tobacco available to the tea house.

An inn is most like a tavern. They are a combination of a restaurant and a hotel. They offer a much larger variety of food and some specialize in preparing feasts of various kinds. They also have rooms to rent for travelers and tourists. These are very common along well-traveled roads (roadside inns) and near holy sites such as temples. But they can also be found in cities, especially in the merchant's quarter or near the major gates.

A gambling den specializes in offering various games of chance that patrons can bet on. These can either be run by the proprietor or set up by a group of patrons themselves. They usually also provide entertainment in the form of musicians and dancers and offer spirits of various kinds, although these are often watered-down to prevent fights from breaking out. They also have a wide variety of tobaccos to choose from.

A theater offers exotic and elaborate performances. They specialize in big productions featuring dozens of artists (actors, musicians, jugglers, puppeteers, dancers, singers, etc.). Theaters tend to specialize in one form of entertainment over another, so some might be known for their musicians or dancers, while others for their operas or acrobats, etc.

A brothel specializes in the more sensual forms of entertainment. You can probably use your imagination for the sorts of things that go on there. The more exotic brothels can also be like cabarets that offer productions to their patrons that can be as involved as a renowned theater, although usually with naughty themes and risque performances.

There are also just ordinary restaurants of various kinds and shops that sell food and offer places to sit and enjoy the food you buy from the shop.

Hope that helps!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Aaron de Orive ().

Oh! And another such addition could be a public bathhouse. I would lump them into the same category of more sensual entertainments such as brothels, while still maintaining the status of a more publicly acceptable service, since bathing and caring for one's appearance would be something done by most mid-to-upper levels of society (certainly by merchants and sunborn in the classier places, and in seedier establishments by peasant laborers and such). In addition to baths, these establishments might offer further items such as massages, perfumed oils for skin, fur, and scales, scented powders for feathers, and even other grooming services that help jánah care for teeth, claws, etc. Such places of business would be found anywhere in the entertainment districts near the areas of gambling dens, inns, and restaurants.

Scottie ^^

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      An inn is most like a tavern. They are a combination of a restaurant and a hotel.

This reminds me: I read a neat article called "Ruyintan Caravanserai" in the Kobold Quarterly magazine, Issue 10 (Really awesome! They're mostly for D&D 3.5 and 4, but always written in a way so it can be adapted to almost anything).

[Blocked Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Philot/Stuff/Caravanserai.jpg]
      The common room is swathed with brightly colored fabrics: hanging from walls and ceilings, and draped across low tables surrounded by embroidered pillows that serve as seating. Curtains conceal side rooms in three corners. In the remaining corner, a stairway spirals upward.

It struck me that I would imagine establishments of Dárdünah like inns very much like this!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().