Specialty Dice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: Specialty Dice

Yep! We're still usin' 'em! And as soon as I get the chance, I'm going to speak to Crystal Caste, the company that produces them, and start up the talks again about their production for the Dardunah game!

Thanks for the reminder! Those six-siders are the BEST as far as the look and feel for the game go.

Scottie ^^
    • To explain this a bit for those on this forum who have not been a part of my gaming group for 15 years,....:

The dice we are currently using for the game (and for which the entire Dárdünah game system rules have been established), are standard six-sided dice. We were at one point in time using 10-sided polyhedral dice like the ones used in various other game systems, but myself and the co-author Aaron de Orive were considering simplifying things a bit and switching to the "more commonly available" six-siders.

At GenCon one year, however, we both came across a company called Crystal Caste who created some various dice with some really unique "crystal shard-like" shapes that immediately drew our attention. I picked up some of these for the players, found the 10-sided version to be a bit unwieldy when rolled as a handful (which we do often when playing Dárdünah), and decided that the six-sided dice they produced would make a really excellent accent to the concept of the game.

My own players and myself have been using them ever since, and the rules were finally fixed to use the 6-siders exclusively. Any of you out there, however, should feel free to use any style of six-sided dice you like (as long as it fairly generates a random number between 1 and 6 :D). However, the Crystal Caste six-siders are quite gorgeous, and will be even more "Dárdünah-like" if we can convince them to make them in different translucent (see-through) colors, as opposed to the opaque-yet-colorful versions they offer now.

Scottie ^^
    • As a role-playing gamer for a very long time I have found that translucent dice are very pretty and although I certainly love the "many-sided" dice, I think that 6-sides are readily available, useful, and inexpensive. how efficient for a young gamer to nab yahtzee dice without trying to find a "gaming" outlet with which to spend his mom's hard-earned dough at.

Nine
      <9I9E>
    • RE: 6-Siders

Originally posted by Ninespike
      I think that 6-sides are readily available, useful, and inexpensive. how efficient for a young gamer to nab yahtzee dice without trying to find a "gaming" outlet with which to spend his mom's hard-earned dough at.

Nine

I tend to agree completely (although I must admit that they need to go to the hobby store to buy even more Dardunah stuff, when it comes out... ;)).

I did speak to my local store "Dragons Lair" today, and they seemed to think that they may be able to swing a deal with Crystal Caste to be local supplier for specifically their 6-siders to my playtesters, which means I may be able to get them at a discount "in bulk" and make them available to you guys. I was disappointed to discover that they didn't already carry them. I'll be talking to Crystal Caste personally tomorrow, to see what kind of deal I can get on my own.

Scottie ^^

I have spoken to the owner of Crystal Caste today concerning the dice. He said that they will make available to me for order, in the short term for playtesters, six-siders only (as opposed to having to order the other-sided dice as well). What I would do is order them in bulk and then distribute them to the playtesters as desired. I'm including with this post an attachment showing the way these dice look, as well as the color varieties they come in. The playtesters that have been with me the longest, my initial core group, will recognize that some of the colors they are used to are no longer available (specifically the "pearl" variety of white, black and purple). This is a bummer, I know, but they have new varieties and colors they are offering as well, as seen in the attachment.

The good news is, though, they seem to be entertaining the possibility of making these available eventually in translucent colors, thus making them even more "gem-like". This would be down the road sometime, though.

They also mentioned that it may soon be possible to order sets of these six-siders directly from them, and if not that, then they'd certainly be willing to allow me to buy them wholesale from them and then I would sell sets of them directly from an eventual Dardunah site, if I choose to self publish the game and run it as my own business.

For those of you who may be interested in getting some of these six-siders (either you or your players) let me know, and give me your color choices (you can mix and match, if you wish). My players generally purchased them from me in sets of 12, since that's pretty much the highest number of dice generally rolled at once by an individual during the game (with only a few exceptions). I'll find out about the deal they'll give me on pricing, and let you know ASAP... (When I bought several hundred of them years ago at Gen Con, they were about a buck a piece. They're site shows 'em about the same now, maybe a little more, but they may cut me a deal, I'm hoping...)

Meanwhile check out the image and see what they're like! The upper row shows the colors in their various styles, and the hand holding the dice shows specifically the six-siders I and the core group of playtesters have used for years! Of course you can use "regular" ones,..but what's the fun in that?

Scottie ^^
      Images
      • Dice in Hand.jpg

257.1 kB, 576×519, viewed 539 times

Sometimes with a flat image, it doesn't really give a good representation of what you'd actually see, especially things like irridecent/chromatic/opalecent finishes.

That red oblivion looks kinda cool though.

I noticed at the last playtest before the Dragon's Lair presentation that I was having a hard time picking up the dice with what I can only figure to be the onset of arthritis in my hands.

Scott, if you talk w/ them again, please ask them about making larger six siders.
      I'd rather kiss Satha Vortoc on his sything death-hole
    • Originally posted by betafu
      I'd love the blue 'Otherworld' style, and I'd take at least 12 of 'em, I bet.

That's GREAT!! Once this forum becomes more full (after everyone who'se running the playtests gets their hardcover books),..then I'll create a place for people to formally respond to this dice question, and get some numbers together to send the dice company, and see if we can get some made available to buy for all you guys!

OH!! And welcome to the Forum, Betafu!

Scottie ^^
    • Those are pretty neat, and I like the coloring of the blue pearl.

However, I note that someone has mentioned a problem with picking up this size, so I'm guessing they must be pretty small, and I have problems with my hands ... don't suppose you'd loan a couple to Joe to show us at the next game? I promise we'll make him return them all!

Originally posted by ZClip
      I noticed at the last playtest before the Dragon's Lair presentation that I was having a hard time picking up the dice with what I can only figure to be the onset of arthritis in my hands.

Scott, if you talk w/ them again, please ask them about making larger six siders.

Man,..I had no idea! Well,..I'll ask,..but I'm betting the answer will be "no". This is the size they have been making their six-siders for about a decade....

Persis asked if I could let Joe borrow a few to play with at their next get-together... Answer: Absolutely,..and infact,..it's my hope to attend your next session so I can see personally where you guys are having slow-down issues with the Character Creation process.. So I'll bring some of these dice with me when I do!

Scottie ^^
    • What I should have asked was if they would consider casting a slightly larger 6 sider. I've always had a lil bit of a problem chasing the dice around, but it wasn't until that last session that I really noticed having a problem getting them to stay in my grip & some minor cramping type pain. Maybe I'll just make some sort of a yatzee type cup with a scooping lip on it, that would certainly solve my problem... heh, until I'm too arthritic to hold a friggin' cup :evil:
      I'd rather kiss Satha Vortoc on his sything death-hole
    • Trust me, between arthritis and carpal tunnel, I understand this issue well. That's why I sweet-talked Scottie into bringing samples ...

I'll have to remember to bring one of my wrist braces along, too, though I have a tendency to get frustrated with them and take 'em off, anyway.