Favorite animal

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Favorite animal

So, what IS your favorite animal and why?

Mine HAS to be the skunk. Striped, spotted, who cares, I love them. I really don't know where my affection for skunks came from though, I think it was when i found out that you could, in fact, keep a skunk as a pet... But even so, I seem to have just attached myself to skunks (and the idea of having one as a pet).
    • Yea, even with as many templates in the game, and all the different animals some of the templates can go off of, there are still so many animals that have yet to be created!

BUT! If I go too far off the subject in THAT direction, then this would work better in the general forums as opposed to the Off-topic, and that would definitely not be off-topic =P.

But it DOES lead to an interesting concept...
    • RE: Favorite animal

Originally posted by Stubs
      So, what IS your favorite animal and why?

There are several!

Cats, mostly because of my love of previous pet cats. But I love cats of all sizes and varieties (lions, tigers, you name it).

The great apes, probably because I am one. That and I love Planet of the Apes (68 and 01).

I also have a love/hate thing for snakes of all kinds. I am fascinated by their mythologies, and attracted to snake artwork. Sheading their limbs through evolution, they are just so alien yet cool. But when I see a real snake, I get that common irrational fear reaction that I guess comes from my mammalian biological memory from the time when repitiles ruled the world.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Whill ().

• I can't really say I have a favorite but...

Badgers, gotta love something with such a high opinion of itself! I mean they are what, 30 pounds and they back down bears!

Rams - they just oooze regal.

Kangaroos- dropkickin fools!

Hyenas- strongest jaw of the animal world, complex society.

I would say above all, dogs (domestic). An old native friend of mine, in Phoenix, once told me a myth that "his people" believed. This is the real short story.....Once man and animals lived together in peace, something happened and a rift started to split man from the animals, man begged for help but the animals knew of man's greed and would not go across the rift. Just when the rift was almost too far to cross, dog jumped across and stood by man.
      I was kinda disappointed to see them clumped together, but I understand why. I have taken to subdividing them out into sight hounds (gray hounds, labs), scent hounds (blood hounds), guard dogs (rotts, pits, doberman) etc... each with seperate properties.
      I guess because of the diversity, I would say dogs would be the fav above all.
      ToG

"Violence may not be the best option..... but it's still an option!"
    • My favorite animal comes from one of my favorite childhood stories - a mongoose. The story Riki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling got me reading his works, and I haven't stopped since. I'll admit his stories were the first thing I thought about when I first saw Shard!

(This is me hoping for a mongoose template...)
      /jayiin
    • Originally posted by jayiin mistaya
      (This is me hoping for a mongoose template...)

Rik-tik, man i remember him!

The mongoose is found under weasel!

- I would recommend adding a few drawbacks to the template and picking up some poison resistance. There are a few ways to handle it...

General poison resistance which would be worth a few points perhaps 6, or specific poison resistance to cobra venom and that would cost considerably less, perhaps 2 points.

Another option would be for a favored enemy (think D&D rangers), but against cobras. Give them some extra dodge dice when fighting them, and make a point cost, or make it negative dodge dice (equal number) when fighting other kinds of snakes due to arrogance and their unfamiliarity with them.

Course this complicates the game a bit, but the bio major in me well... it makes my butt pucker to think otherwise.
      ToG

• From what I could find, the mongoose is not actually immune to the cobra’s poison (or any poison in fact, as this is a popular but incorrect misconception). It simply depends on its speed to dodge the cobra’s deadly fangs.

Here's what Encyclopaedia Britannica says:
      "A number of mongooses, including those of the genus Herpestes, will attack and kill poisonous snakes. They depend on speed and agility, darting at the head of the snake and cracking the skull with a powerful bite. They are not immune to venom, as popularly believed, nor do they seek and eat an herbal remedy if bitten."

They ARE known for their overconfidence and boldness when it comes to attacking such creatures, however, which certainly might be good things to choose to add to the template...

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      Originally posted by joewolz
      Originally posted by Quixol
      "WOMBATS RULE!!"

Agreed. One of the PCs in my game is a Wombat. I used the Aardvark Template and added a pouch.

Now of course you realize that if the character is a male wombat, he should not have a pouch.

Just saying... ;)

Of course, man...in case I didn't know anything about Marsupials, it notes that the Kangaroo males don't have one. Oh, and the PC in question is female.
      -JFC Wolz
      HISTORIAN

The post was edited 1 time, last by joewolz ().

• Originally posted by joewolz
      Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      Originally posted by joewolz
      Originally posted by Quixol
      "WOMBATS RULE!!"

Agreed. One of the PCs in my game is a Wombat. I used the Aardvark Template and added a pouch.

Now of course you realize that if the character is a male wombat, he should not have a pouch.

Just saying... ;)

Of course, man...in case I didn't know anything about Marsupials, it notes that the Kangaroo males don't have one. Oh, and the PC in question is female.

If I were a wombat,..I'd be getting all huffy and offended at this kind of personal discourse...

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Scott Jones
      From what I could find, the mongoose is not actually immune to the cobra’s poison (or any poison in fact, as this is a popular but incorrect misconception). It simply depends on its speed to dodge the cobra’s deadly fangs.

Immunity would be going to far, I fully agree, but resistance is another story. Mongoose win some absurd percentage of the fights with cobras. On the rare occation a bite does hit, most often it is the thick coat of the mongoose that sees them through the attack, but there was really no way to show that "in game" properly (as they are prey to hawks and the coat doesn't help them at all: so, it isn't a universal buff), so by my calculations a venom resistance would mechanically work out to about the same thing. Besides, being that cobra is on the "menu", ingestion of the venom would lead to some amount of tolerance for it.

I used newworldenclopedia.org for information it just seemed to be more complete. Here is what they had to say.

"Mongooses mostly feed on insects, crabs, earthworms, lizards, snakes, chickens, and rodents. However, they will also eat eggs and carrion. Some species, such as the Indian mongoose, are popularly used to fight and kill venomous snakes, even king cobras. They are able to do this because of their agility and cunning, thick coat, and high resistance to the venom, but typically avoid the cobra and have no particular affinity for consuming their meat."
      ToG

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tides of Gore ().