Dreams & Memory

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dreams & Memory

I am still reading through the rules on magic at the moment, but I had a question pop up in my mind after reading about dream walking and some of its possibilities.

Would it be possible for someone to not only enter the dream of someone else when that person was unaware, but perhaps even delve into that person's memory while doing so? If that is the case and the one doing the magical ritual can still manipulate things using their magical ability, would that not also mean it would be entirely possible to change or erase portions of the memory?

Talk about some mystical intrigue to throw into a game!
      -=Targath=-
    • RE: Dreams & Memory

Yes, it's absolutely possible for dreamwalkers to enter another being's dreams and manipulate them, as well as manipulating their memories. And yes, that would certainly make for some great intrigue.

I recently saw an episode of "Legend of the Seeker" where a town sheriff was using a magical artifact to implant memories of various murders he had committed into people's heads, making them believe they were the ones who had actually committed the murder. I remember thinking, "Hey, a dreamwalker could do that in Shard."

So many possibilities... ;)
    • Yep,...that's something that's certainly possible that I hadn't even thought of myself!

Great insight!

Essentially, I'd imagine that, like any type of ritual magic Discipline a sir'hibas might attempt, it would culminate in a roll of the sorcerer's Dreamwalking ranking (plus his or her Mystic Talent) against either the Will or the Wit of the targeted "victim" (plus their Mystic Talent, if any,...or their Keen Focus,...or both)...

I can see ALL KINDS of cool, in-game mayhem coming from this type of activity...

Fooling with folks minds = "scary, dangerous stuff"!!!

Scottie ^^
    • Originally posted by Sherbie
      Originally posted by Scott Jones
      Fooling with folks minds = "scary, dangerous stuff"!!!

Keep on your toes when trying to cross sir'hibas, you might end up waking one morning thinking that you are dromi!

Ha! Hilarious!

I used to work in the computer gaming industry, and you saying that reminded me of how funny it was to have helped create an "insane" NPC character (who failed when he tried to create a potion to make him fly) by merely forcing a human 3D mesh to use the animations we made for the birds in our game... It was one of the funniest things I'd seen in awhile!

Scottie ^^
    • I'm actually using this idea for a character of mine now, a turtle apothecary who suffers from magical amnesia induced by a group of sirhibas doing a putsch in his city, who magically "locked away" the memories of all intellectuals so they would not stand in their way.

Originally posted by Scott Jones
      I used to work in the computer gaming industry, and you saying that reminded me of how funny it was to have helped create an "insane" NPC character (who failed when he tried to create a potion to make him fly) by merely forcing a human 3D mesh to use the animations we made for the birds in our game... It was one of the funniest things I'd seen in awhile!

Oh jeez, human meshes doing impossible animations is probably the scariest and yet funniest thing ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=DF4UIFT47
    • Originally posted by iceage
      This could make a Seer into a very evil adversary.

Don't forget about spiritual protection however. There's endowments, crystals and other sirhibasi who shield important persons from evildoers from meddling with their spirit.

So if you knew that you have an enemy like that, you'd surely gear up on magic defense thingamajigs and -bobs too.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherbie ().

• yes inception was very good and it feels a lot like the way a dream walker might affect the minds of its victims.

In my last game one of my players tried to take on a more powerful dream walker. I let one of the other players control the enemy dream walker to prevent boredom from setting in. The results were very interesting.

The hero lost to the villain in the dream world. A lot of successes and a roll of double 6's to see what the result would be caused the hero to be trapped in the dream world for 6 days. The villain didn't want to kill the pc so he just left his body in a coma while his spirit was trapped in the dream world.

The Hero
      Weasel Lawyer - with a talent for dream walking

the villain
      Ghost Frog Dreamwalker/ Summoner

I just thought a Ghost Frog was such a good choice for a dream walker.
      "One without crystal is without life"