Game Engine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: Game Engine

We have discussed that, actually. In fact, one of our players uses it to run his D&D game because he likes our system better than the new D&D system.

I've talked about doing a steampunk setting since I dig that genre. Who knows, maybe at some point we'll do one. For now, however, I think we'll focus on Shard. It's all we can do just to keep our current publishing schedule.

-Aaron

We do indeed love how potentially versatile the basic rules "engine" could possibly be if used to run other genres of game... Its simplicity is also very similar to the Ubiquity Engine used in the Hollow Earth setting by our friend Jeff Combos, brainchild behind that cool game...

I've had several friends who have complained about other European-setting-based sword and sorcery game engines that have been talking over the last year or so (even while we were still play-testing our game) about using our system to run a more standard fantasy game, and using our method of creating new Animal Templates to create basic templates for elves, humans, dwarves, and orcs and such...

It'd be pretty fun to see what others could adapt it to!

I've already used it to create a new Template for an intelligent insect race for my own game group, and it worked like a charm!

Scottie ^^

I find the Shard game engine pretty nice and someone told me that it's a bit similar to Shadowrun.

Originally posted by Aaron de Orive
      I've talked about doing a steampunk setting since I dig that genre. Who knows, maybe at some point we'll do one. For now, however, I think we'll focus on Shard. It's all we can do just to keep our current publishing schedule.

-Aaron

Heh, that makes me think... Shard + Steampunk = ? ;)
    • It is similar in some ways to Shadowrun. The success system with the D6's and the successes in combat vs the defenders successes equal damage done for example. Dice being equal to your skill level is similar as well. My husband also noted some similarities between the magic system in Shard and the matrix in Shadowrun.

The system in Shard is a bit more unforgiving in combat, which my PC's discovered much to their dismay (still have to post that play session on Obsidian portal). They are in the run in and bash things mentality still and realized that the shard system is different to what they are used to.