Online Resources for Roleplaying

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Online Resources for Roleplaying

I thought that a thread for sharing various online resources for roleplaying games would be cool. I'm sure that each of us has different sites and tools that we have found, use, or are intrigued by. So why not share those with each other here? After all, it may help spread the word about Shard or help those who are looking into it but unable to play tabletop games get involved in an online campaign.

So here are some sites that I have found and find useful:

RP Repository - A great place to find other players for your games, host pages for your characters or groups, and join in some PbP RP. (Groups can have their own private forums that does include a basic Die-roller.)

Roleplaying Tips for GMs - I have yet to GM my own first game, but I have subscribed to the newsletter and find much of the advice in the articles very infomative. Perhaps some of those tips will help me when I do get my Shard game up and running.

hamete virtual dice server - An absolute must for those who consider running a PBEM or PbP game where you have no other built in Die-roller. Also has an option of signing up for a "dice log" which acts like a blog of dice-rolls for those who are registered to the log. Now that is handy!

OngoingWorlds - A relatively new PbP roleplaying site that makes it easy to get a game set up and running. Currently does not have support for die-rolling or large tables of stats, but the creator and owner seems open to suggestions and if there were ever a large demand for those or other features, he would probably consider them. Also, games are placed on the homepage whenever there are new posts made, so a great way to get others hooked into a Shard campaign.

These are all sites that I personally use and can see as possibly being useful for running a Shard game. RP Repository especially seems like a good avenue.

So what sites or online tools do you use or find interesting?
      -=Targath=-
    • Some of my Resources

My favorite online resources:

Kobold Quarterly
      While the blog and magazine are focused upon Dungeon&Dragons 4E and 3.5E/Pathfinder, many of the great concepts and pieces of advice can be adapted and used in any roleplaying game.

Gnome Stew
      Another great gaming blog, that seems to be more geared towards general roleplaying tips and regularly publishes some very helpful articles!

Ash’s Guide to RPG Personality & Background
      A site that will give you a very broad and complete perspective on all the different personality traits and backgrounds your characters can have.
      It brings up many points that are rarely developed within a character, but can lead to some very valuable roleplaying experiences!
      Definitely worth a look!

Chaotic Shiny
      A great site with many, many random generators for all occasions!
      Randomly generated place descriptions, randomly generated characters or names... anything really. Can be useful if you need some content in a pinch!

The Instant DM
      A nice little book about the basics of dungeon mastering.
      I like some of the advice in there, I think there might be some things to take away from for others, too!

I'll think of more resources I used so far, but that's all for now!
      I hope they are helpful! :3

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sherbie ().