Rich Cinematic Content

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rich Cinematic Content

I have only played a few Serhibas and not even for very long. BUT, I think somebody should stress here how inportant it is not to look at the Disciplines as spells in the same way you might look at D&D spells. This magic systme is much more based on the "Mage, the Ascension" paradigm of magic than the AD&D system. One of the great triumphs of the magic in this game is that it is more a question of what can imagine doing rather than what you are capable of doing. Naturally there are limits, within the ritual paradigm you cant do magic in combat and there aren't very many overt flashy results fom magic. BUT there are sorceries and summonings and endowments that are really open for great things that are immensely cool to be done.
    Another important thing is the idea that the whole working of magic is a wholistic process involving set, setting and mood, delivery, conceptualization and dramatic impact. The best rituals I've seen worked have involved sometimes hours or days of preparation and complete lengthy descritptions of the kind that make people not used to scotts way of playing roll their eyes. It's definitely a fact that one ritual could suck up an entire hour of gameplay, and that's just the nature of the beast. But still when done right it is somethig to talk about for weeks afterward. And you always have to remember, is what I'm doing worthy of a movie scene, should this be a screenplay chapter? If it's not, you're not doing it right. You should come away from performing a ritual just WISHING you could see that happen on the big screen. Let me give some examples from film:

Sardo-Numspa's communion with hell in "The Golden Child"
    The Green Fog scene from "City of Lost Children"
    Frodo having a vision in Galadriel's water-thingy in "The Lord of the Rings"
    There's more but I have to get back to work.
    "Daggra" means "Enemy" in Tibetan.
    "Chora" means "Thief" in Sanskrit.
  • RE: Rich Cinematic Content

Yes indeedy!! Those are GREAT examples Eric.. It's ALL about the ritual, baby! It's ALL about the cinema...

However I will throw a bone here to those that enjoy magicy stuff during combat, by saying that it iS possible, using an earlier-performed ritual, to CREATE or SUMMON things that you can use or command during combat situations, but those should be considered VERY special circumstances that merit lots of in-game consideration (and can sometimes be dangerous)....

FUN!!

Scottie ^^
  • Hopefully you guys have had a chance to start reading some of the fully fleshed-out rituals in the Magic and Martial Arts book.. I really worked hard on those to give them the qualities I desired, mixed with some defining rules that would help bring them more into a usable and inspirational realm.... And there's so much more that could be added later,..if desired....

Scottie ^^
  • I should say, here, that I generally dislike playing casters in tabletop games ... but from what I've heard, I'm seriously considering taking that route with my play-testing character, though I still need to read the magic stuff. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Or something.

:D
  • Heh heh,...yep,...the ritual-based type of magic is REALLY different-feeling from the way the standard type of RPG "battle" magic tends to play out in the rules. The magic of many RPGs tends to play out in the game's story/fiction as if it's essentially just the "technology" of the world. You know,..we have bazookas and rocket launchers, they have "magic missiles" and "flame-strike"... We have TVs,..they have "crystal balls",..that type of thing... I have absolutely tried to get away from that in Dardunah,..to give the essence of the magic system a more "spiritual" quality,..and to give those who work such magic more time in that special type of lime-lite...away from combat, generally....

We'll see if it works for you....

Scottie ^^